THE FRANK ZAPPA THREAD!

It's time I checked in here, comrades. :D

I'm glad to see you're getting into Zappa, Ricky! B) It's like the others are saying: the variety and the quality of playing and of composition is just simply astounding. Zappa left a great legacy, and many people have learnt from him - but there will never be anyone even remotely like him. He was one of a kind. A true genius.

It's time I checked in here, comrades. :D

I'm glad to see you're getting into Zappa, Ricky! B) It's like the others are saying: the variety and the quality of playing and of composition is just simply astounding. Zappa left a great legacy, and many people have learnt from him - but there will never be anyone even remotely like him. He was one of a kind. A true genius.

Funny you should say that, Otto. I've been listening to Frank since pretty much the start of this year. So it's all good. :P

^ It certainly is Ollie !

i love the part about Crazy Jerry and Wild Bill the Mannequin-Fucker :lol:

Also love his stories about how he handled a cheerleader whom he calls "name omitted because I'm a nice guy" after she sneered towards him during a speech "Everybody up! And that means YOU TOO, FRANK ZAPPA!", remaining seated and responding with "Why don't you go fuck yourself!" :D Lots of funny anecdotes in it and hilarious illustrations, but admittedly he can get a bit carried away about the political system.

Also love his stories about how ....

those dudes used to put their boogers on the window of their bedroom till it become completely covered !! hahaha...

That story is also on his "Lost Episodes" cd....quoted by the actual boogerman !!! 'Ronnie's booger story'

Ronnie:

We lived in a little room, man. It was, it was probably a fourth as big as, as your livin' room, Frank. (cough) And uh, everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh, or wipe it there if we couldn't flip it there, y'know. And uh, I guess Dwight stayed with me for about....'bout seven months, wasn't it? Six months? And uh, every night we'd contribute, y'know, two or three or four boogers, y'know. And when he left, uh my mom knew what was goin' on all the time but we thought we had her hoodwinked. Y'see, she was smarter than we, what, than what we were. An' she made us clean 'em off, y'know? We used Ajax and we couldn't get them things...we had to use a... had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. You couldn't even see out the winduh with all them boogers, man. I'm not kiddin' you (sniff). An' it was big ones too, an little, and there was some goober ones that weren't even hard man, you'd just smear 'em, young ones. It's like fro-you've seen frosted glasses. That wind

uh was just like a frosted glass with spots all over it, y'know? And uh, (sniff) it was- it was no good. Although, th-that was the good ol' days, though.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Frank Zappa is my hero. My favorite guitar solo of all time is on Muffin Man.

Anyhoo, this is my favorite quote by him.

"Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydogren and THAT is the basic building block."

So wise, he was.

• 2 months later...

In June Dwezil Zappa is doing a show in New Orleans billed as Zappa does Zappa the music of Frank Zappa.I am going to have to check it out.It wont be Frank but it might be interesting.

ZAPPABALTIMORE80.jpg

ZAPPASAENGER80NOLA.jpg

ZAPPAVAISAENGERNOLA81.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

Frank Zappa may be a genius. I don't know.

I own several albums. Musically, the Roxy and Elsewhere was brilliant. It is a great live album. I love it.

Some of his work is kind of "stupid", and I don't know exactly what he was trying to get at, but it is good.

I haven't listened in depth a lot.

I got Roxy, got kind of excited, bought a bunch of albums and was kind of disappointed. This was about 5 years ago.

Another great thing about Zappa is his live shows. His 1988 band "the best band you never heard in your life" played over 150 songs during that tour AND rehersed 70 more! How many other bands could pull out that many songs at will, much less to Mr. Zappa's famously high standards?

Want to hear more for free?

Check out the Strictly Zappa show on berkeleyliberationradio.org Mondays at 4 pm (Pacific time)

Another great thing about Zappa is his live shows. His 1988 band "the best band you never heard in your life" played over 150 songs during that tour AND rehersed 70 more! How many other bands could pull out that many songs at will, much less to Mr. Zappa's famously high standards?

Want to hear more for free?

Check out the Strictly Zappa show on berkeleyliberationradio.org Mondays at 4 pm (Pacific time)

I can't think of any composer/band from 1960 onward to put out the volume of material that Zappa did in his career. Not only volume but variety. And I'm not talking about the many bootlegs of similar material repeated, even though they were always different arrangements, but the sheer variety of studio music.

The Rolling Stones have been around for even longer, but their variety doesn't even nearly match that of Zappa.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Zappa's Widow Sues German Fan Club

DUESSELDORF, Germany (AP) — The widow of Frank Zappa is trying to stop a German fan club from using the legendary musician's name for its annual "Zappanale" festival.

Gail Zappa says the German-based Arf Society' use of Zappa's name and an accompanying logo featuring a prominent mustache similar to that sported by Zappa infringe on trademarks held by the Zappa Family Trust.

The Arf Society says that the society has been aware of its use of the name since the festival was first launched in 1998.

A state court in Duesseldof, Germany began hearing the case on Wednesday. It says a ruling is not expected for at least another month.

I want to buy some CD of Zappa. But I don't know him realy. I was thinking... Hot Rats.

But I need some recommendations...

Any?

Sometimes people might say that "Apostrophe (') " is his most accessible, and in my case, I say it is. So it's good to start there. I happen to find Hot Rats to be a more experienced listen,that you should tackle only after you've heard a couple albums. Same for Lumpy Gravy, that's avant garde. So, I'd say get Apostrophe', We're Only In It For The Money, and Uncle Meat (one of my favorites.) And once you feel good enough to want more, get Weasels Ripped My Flesh, that's my favorite Zappa album thus far. :D

Sometimes people might say that "Apostrophe (') " is his most accessible, and in my case, I say it is. So it's good to start there. I happen to find Hot Rats to be a more experienced listen,that you should tackle only after you've heard a couple albums. Same for Lumpy Gravy, that's avant garde. So, I'd say get Apostrophe', We're Only In It For The Money, and Uncle Meat (one of my favorites.) And once you feel good enough to want more, get Weasels Ripped My Flesh, that's my favorite Zappa album thus far. :D

Oh, ok. Thanks