Playback Options for HD Download tracks?

I have successfully downloaded my HD tracks in FLAC format, and since they are inherently larger than a 700 MB CD-R, how can I record these tracks IN NATIVE format and compression on a 4.7GB DVD-R into a DVD-Audio format for playback or get them successfully loaded in native, uncompressed format to my iPod? Does iTunes software play native FLAC HD files?

Or, is the only way to enjoy these tracks is through the computer (via a FLAC decoding software player) into a quality audio system?

Thanks!

Mark

PS - Serial Numbers for Super Deluxe Sets...

Led Zeppelin I - 13394

Led Zeppelin II - 01829

Led Zeppelin III - Backordered!

Interesting question, Mark, and one I am curious about myself.

On a similar note, is there a deadline for using these download codes in the Super deluxe Box sets or are they good indefinitely? I don't really listen to much music on computers or my phone, so I haven't bothered with the HD downloads yet. I still listen to music mainly through albums and cds, but one never knows what the future holds. So if there is a time limit on when you can use these HD downloads, I would like to know so they don't go to waste.

Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't support FLAC. The files would have to be converted using third party software. There's a few out there, but I have no idea how good they are.

On the release date, Amazon downloaded the CD versions into my iTunes so that's what I put on my iPod.

I have downloaded LZ I so far (and I don't see an expiration for the code), so maybe I'll play around with a converter

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to determine if the HD files are noticeably better than the CDs. I loaded some of the HD files on my phone so that I can have them with me all the time, but they are so large, I don't have room for all of them on my phone. I am using VLC software (which supports FLAC files) on my phone, and I play them through my car stereo, headphones, and Bose speaker. The sound is really incredible!! I thought I could just copy the files onto a DVD but it doesn't play, so either none of my players support FLAC, or I'm doing something wrong. I think I need software to create a DVD-A? I am also interested in recommendations for software to make a DVD-A (and any recommendations for the best way to listen to the HD files).

Neither iTunes or iPods support FLAC. You can convert them to ALAC (Apple Lossless) to make them compatible with iTunes without losing any musical information in the process.

if you convert them to ALAC, they still won't work on an iPod though, because iPods (and iPhones and iPads) don't support 24/96 high-res audio. However, they do support 24/48 audio. There is free software that can resample the high-res audio from 24/96 to 24/48.

As for DVD-Audio, there is software that will create a DVD-Audio disc. The issue is having a disc player that will play DVD-Audio discs - most regular DVD players won't do it.

There is also another option - you can burn a regular DVD (aka DVD-Video) disc, which will play in any DVD player. Typically the audio on regular DVDs is encoded in 16/48 resolution, but it is possible to encode it at 24/96. If you do so, you want LPCM - linear PCM - which will retain all the musical information in your FLAC files.

• 1 month later...

Neither iTunes or iPods support FLAC. You can convert them to ALAC (Apple Lossless) to make them compatible with iTunes without losing any musical information in the process.

if you convert them to ALAC, they still won't work on an iPod though, because iPods (and iPhones and iPads) don't support 24/96 high-res audio. However, they do support 24/48 audio. There is free software that can resample the high-res audio from 24/96 to 24/48.

As for DVD-Audio, there is software that will create a DVD-Audio disc. The issue is having a disc player that will play DVD-Audio discs - most regular DVD players won't do it.

There is also another option - you can burn a regular DVD (aka DVD-Video) disc, which will play in any DVD player. Typically the audio on regular DVDs is encoded in 16/48 resolution, but it is possible to encode it at 24/96. If you do so, you want LPCM - linear PCM - which will retain all the musical information in your FLAC files.

tmtomhy, you have described and explained it well. :)

I love the High Res 24bit/48 - 24/96 experience. Many say it's little or no difference to their ears but it is to me in a possitive way depending on the recording, the engineering etc.

I can't comment on anything ipod as I don't use them.

I use my PC (Windows 7) with a 1gb Nvidia graphics card - HDMI cable - Pioneer suround sound unit - basic JBL satelite speakers with a sub and choose stereo or 5.1 according to the mix. In these Zeppelin remasters it's stereo. I have some decent (over the ear) headphones as well. Nothing over the top in price range as all this equipment is about 4 years old now. I use free software players like winamp and foobar2000 which handle flacs as well as most other files including 24bit.

I think a half decent laptop with HDMI out can do the same as my pc.

I also have a small (Creative) portable music player that can handle flacs as well but only 16 bit.

http://au.creative.com/p/mp3player/zen-x-fi3

Never will I listen to mp3 format on the run unless I have no choice.

My cd's will be just collecting dust at my house from now on and kept only for back ups as I have started converting all my cds to flac 16 bit as cds are only 16 bit stereo. You can use the free players I mentioned above to convert to flac as well.

I will eventually get a good turntable and listen to good vinal recordings as well. Those sdbs will be utilized fully.

I am eventually 'hopefully' :unsure: going to save for something like this: Astell & Kern AK240 which handles High Res flacs etc 8kHz ~ 192kHz (8/16/24bits per Sample). And great headphones as well.

http://www.astellnkern.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My method to play these HD tracks is one of 2 methods:

1. FiiO X3 (New X3K or II Is coming out soon). Plays high res files up to 192k/24bit. Get a good set of headphones and listen away. This player has a SD card slot so all the music can be added easily. There is also a coaxial digital out so you can send the file via a cable to your home setup.

2. Via Plex on my Roku 3. Files play fine, but are converted to 48khz. Convenient way to play on your home setup.

I have I,II & III as 24/96 HD downloads. I used Cirlinca to burn them to DVD-A, I also put them onto a flash drive which I plug into my Oppo 103 BD player. Sound quality wise 24/96 is the way to hear these reissues the difference in quality to the CDs is VAST, so much more detail. The CDs sound great but the 24/96 sound absolutely fantastic.

I could not find any free software but the trial version these guys have http://cirlinca.com/products.htm

it plays in my car, which is not super high but does dvd-a. I was hoping my home DVD player would work or my xbox one but no dice.

I have used Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo for quite awhile and finally bought the full version due primarily to this reissue campaign ($45 isn't too bad, really).

I burn FLAC to DVD, making DVD-Audio discs, which my Acura's stereo will play. The sound is spectacular.

• 1 month later...

I play these files through my main stereo system (Yamaha RXA 3000 /JBL's), via Apple TV. Through I tunes I am able to mirror my MAC and utilize a FLAC player ( I use VLC) to play the files. I have also converted the FLAC files to the Apple lossless format and can play those thru ITunes on my stereo as well. To my ears these files are the superior listening source for the new remasters.

Archived