ROBERT PLANT - LULLABY AND... THE CEASELESS ROAR

sam_webmaster

I really like that sepia look of the cover. What a beautiful, ornate space WOW! I wonder which concert(s) the songs for this EP are from or are we to assume that they're from the Blackpool gig?

Agreed a beautiful album cover! Judging by the cover I think I'd be suprised if it was not from the Blackpool Tower Ballroom.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Makes sense, luvlz2.

There seems to be some discrepancy in the number of copies of More Roar that will be made available on RSD.

Both RP's site and Nonesuch state that 10,000 will be released:

The album will be limited to 10,000 copies and include live versions of 'Turn It Up', 'Arbaden', 'Poor Howard' and 'Whole Lotta Love'.

http://www.robertplant.com/#news/limited-edition-live-ep-to-be-released-for-record-store-day

Nonesuch/Warner Bros. releases a Record Store Day exclusive EP by Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters. Entitled More Roar, the record features three tracks on black 10” vinyl recorded live during the group’s lullaby and... Ceaseless Roar World Tour 2014: Side A is "Turn It Up" / "Arbaden," and side B is “Poor Howard” and “Whole Lotta Love (Medley)” Medley.” The EP will be limited to 10,000 copies.

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/record-store-day-releases-robert-plant-steve-reich-buena-vista-social-club-april-18-2015-03-10

However, the UK RSD site has the number at 2000...!

Robert Plant

More Roar

Format:

10" Single

More Info:

Label: WMG / Nonesuch Quantity: 2000

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/rsd-2015/robert-plant.aspx

^ Is this a typo? Or is it that 2000 copies will be available in the UK?

It would be a shame for fans if availability for all locations were reduced to one fifth of what was expected. Hmm... I may have to revise my strategy in how I go about trying to get it if this is the case.

lullaby... and the Ceaseless Roar has been nominated for Cross-Cultural Collaboration of the Year (and this heading has won 'best alliterative title') by Songlines Music Awards 2015:

Robert Plant, Kronos Quartet, Toumani & Sidiki Diabaté Nominated for Songlines Music Awards

Robert Plant, Kronos Quartet, and Toumani & Sidiki Diabaté have been nominated for the Songlines Music Awards 2015. Now in its seventh year, the awards are voted by Songlines readers and the general public. All of these artists' 2014 releases were included amongSonglines' Best Albums of the Year.

Robert Plant’s label debut, lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar, is nominated for Cross-Cultural Collaboration of the Year. The album features 11 new recordings, nine of which are original songs he wrote with his band, The Sensational Space Shifters.

The album "represents another new adventure in his restlessly creative solo career," writes Nigel Williamson in his album review, "a masterful and in places daring blend of his ongoing musical obsessions: from gritty southern R&B and jangling West Coast psychedelia to sinuous African blues and Middle Eastern beats ... The production—by Plant himself—judiciously favours raw and earthy over gloss and artifice but still sparkles and perfectly suits the rootsy potency of the music."

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/robert-plant-kronos-quartet-toumani-sidiki-diabate-nominated-songlines-music-awards-2015-03-18

Here is some more info about Songlines Music Awards - "Recognizing outstanding talent in world music" http://songlines.co.uk/music-awards/

A review of Ralph Stanley's new album:

March 18. 2015 1:44PM

Music Review: RALPH STANLEY& FRIENDS: Man of Constant Sorrow

AR-150319017.jpg?q=100

RALPH STANLEY & FRIENDS: Man of Constant Sorrow (CB Music/Cracker Barrel)

Cracker Barrel is the kind of roadside restaurant where you can indulge in a trucker’s breakfast piled high with eggs, pan fries, sausage and bacon. It’s also the only place you can pick up Ralph Stanley’s latest CD.

On “Man of Constant Sorrow,” named after Stanley’s signature song, the bluegrass icon teams up with an eclectic group of artists for a collection of duets, backed by the Clinch Mountain Boys.

Whether he is collaborating with Nashville players like Ricky Skaggs (“Sweethearts in Heaven”) or less likely sparring partners like Elvis Costello (who never sounded sweeter as a harmonizer on “Red Wicked Wine”), Stanley brings a stately grace to the proceedings.

Other artists along for the ride include Old Crow Medicine Show, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Dierks Bentley, Lee Ann Womack and Del McCoury. Album producers Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale join Stanley on the gospel standard “I Am the Man, Thomas.”

The album’s most chilling track: a reading of Stanley’s “Two Coats” with former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, whose recent Americana albums make his appearance here more of a delight than a surprise. Just the sound of two weathered voices and a lonely fiddle.

(The album is also available as a digital download from iTunes and Amazon.com).

Reviews by Mike Cote/New Hampshire Union Leader

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150319/NEWHAMPSHIRE0105/150319017

Can't attach the image in another size, sorry... :)

A review of Ralph Stanley's new album:

March 18. 2015 1:44PM

Music Review: RALPH STANLEY& FRIENDS: Man of Constant Sorrow

AR-150319017.jpg?q=100

RALPH STANLEY & FRIENDS: Man of Constant Sorrow (CB Music/Cracker Barrel)

Cracker Barrel is the kind of roadside restaurant where you can indulge in a trucker’s breakfast piled high with eggs, pan fries, sausage and bacon. It’s also the only place you can pick up Ralph Stanley’s latest CD.

On “Man of Constant Sorrow,” named after Stanley’s signature song, the bluegrass icon teams up with an eclectic group of artists for a collection of duets, backed by the Clinch Mountain Boys.

Whether he is collaborating with Nashville players like Ricky Skaggs (“Sweethearts in Heaven”) or less likely sparring partners like Elvis Costello (who never sounded sweeter as a harmonizer on “Red Wicked Wine”), Stanley brings a stately grace to the proceedings.

Other artists along for the ride include Old Crow Medicine Show, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Dierks Bentley, Lee Ann Womack and Del McCoury. Album producers Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale join Stanley on the gospel standard “I Am the Man, Thomas.”

The album’s most chilling track: a reading of Stanley’s “Two Coats” with former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, whose recent Americana albums make his appearance here more of a delight than a surprise. Just the sound of two weathered voices and a lonely fiddle.

(The album is also available as a digital download from iTunes and Amazon.com).

Reviews by Mike Cote/New Hampshire Union Leader

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150319/NEWHAMPSHIRE0105/150319017

Can't attach the image in another size, sorry... :)

Man Of Constant Sorrow – Ralph Stanley & Friends

John Lawless | January 19, 2015

For much of the past decade, rumors of the retirement of the great Ralph Stanley have been rampant – some of them coming directly from his organization. But despite the rumors, and the challenges of recording and touring into his eighties, Dr. Ralph has endured and thrived throughout it all.

Today his most recent album, Man Of Constant Sorrow, is released through Cracker Barrel. It’s a collection of Stanley songs performed with a bevy of country and bluegrass luminaries. They are supported by Ralph’s Clinch Mountain Boys, as solid a traditional bluegrass band as one might imagine. The good Doctor actually takes a back seat here for the most part, allowing his guest vocalists to shine on most of the tracks.

But there’s no lack of “Stanley-ness” on any of them. It’s a Ralph Stanley project from start to finish, with the raw energy and unbridled emotion that we’ve come to expect, from the first sessions with his late, lamented brother Carter, through the classic recordings of the 1970s, and on to the many various superstar studio gatherings of more recent vintage.

Ralph is out front on a few numbers, sharing lead singing duties with Jim Lauderdale and Buddy Miller on I Am The Man, Thomas; with Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant on the mountain Gospel ballad, Two Coats; with Old Crow Medicine Show on Short Life of Trouble; in the recitation on Hills of Home with its reminiscences of Carter; and on the title track which has become his signature song since its appearance in the film, O Brother, Where Art Thou. Of these, Two Coats may be the most memorable, with both Stanley and Plant singing their verses and harmony chorus accompanied by a sole lonesome fiddle. While Robert’s harmony choices come from well outside the mountain tradition, they serve as a perfectly mournful complement to Ralph’s ancient tones.

Your appreciation of the bulk of this record will probably owe a lot to your individual fondness for the artists involved. I found country singer Josh Turner’s rendition of We Shall Rise, the opening track, to be as soulful a bluegrass vocal as I have heard in some time. His plaintive, emotive voice and quality of tone across a wide range have long been remarked upon by critics, and it’s put to good use here. Likewise, Lee Ann Womack’s take on perhaps the definitive Stanley Brothers song,The White Dove, is note perfect. Hearing Ralph taking the baritone part was initially a jar to this Stanleyphile listener, but it is performed beautifully with Aubrie Sellers taking the third part.

Nathan Stanley shines on Rank Stranger, another quintessential Stanley Brothers song. His is an honest and pure bluegrass voice, and he takes the verses with Ralph’s familiar tenor line leading the chorus. Brand New Tennessee Waltz was originally recorded by writer Jesse Winchester in 1970, and shortly thereafter covered by Joan Baez… and Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys. Here Del McCoury takes the lead on the verses – jumping to tenor on the choruses with Ralph on lead – on a slower and even more cheerless adaptation that owes more to Winchester’s recording than Ralph’s.

Other strong cuts include a super old timey rendition of Pig In A Pen with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, a straightforward version of I Only Exist with Dierks Bentley, and a duet between Ralph and his former employee Ricky Skaggs onSweethearts In Heaven.

The key is that all these superstar guests bend their style to Ralph Stanley, perhaps the chief reason this project succeeds so well.

Man Of Constant Sorrow is available now on CD from any Cracker Barrel restaurant, from their online music store, and from popular online digital resellers. It’s a good’n.

We plan to speak with Ralph later this week about this new effort, and his plans for 2015 and beyond. Look for that interview in the next few days.

http://bluegrasstoday.com/man-of-constant-sorrow-ralph-stanley-friends/

Ralph Stanley & Friends – Man Of Constant Sorrow

Album Reviews | February 13th, 2015

There’s no mystery why Man of Constant Sorrow is billed the way it is. When you toss famous names like Elvis Costello, Dierks Bentley, Robert Plant, Buddy Miller and Lee Ann Womack into the mix, the sales strategy couldn’t be more obvious. Indeed, as the latest offering from Cracker Barrel’s exclusive in-store brand, it seems a savvy move. Still, some might argue that the folks that frequent that all-American establishment might not need that kind of enticement when it comes to a new album by the singular Dr. Stanley. At age 87, he’s a bluegrass music icon, and a legendary musician at that. Any thought that he actually needs these big name guest stars to bolster his credence is an idea that verges on heresy. While the ploy may do as it was intended and bring new fans into the fold, Man of Constant Sorrow still qualifies as an excellent album of vintage mountain music, his famous friends notwithstanding.

The fact is, Stanley still steals the show, and most of the assists from his special guests ultimately seem superfluous. Even Robert Plant’s distinctive moan pales when placed in tandem with Stanley’s back porch croon. Elvis Costello is practically buried in the mix on “Red Wicked Wine,” while Gillian Welch and David Rawlings offer minimal support on “Pig in a Pen.” And while the inclusion of such modern traditionalists as Old Crow Medicine Show, Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale must have looked good on paper, there’s little they can add to the mix when a seasoned troubadour like Ralph Stanley takes center stage. This is his turf and, aside from having the equally venerable Del McCoury singing lead on “Brand New Tennessee Waltz,” no other help is needed When Stanley gets the mike to himself for two of his signature songs — “Hills of Home” and “Man of Constant Sorrow” — it’s clear he could just as well have recorded the entire album on his own regardless.

That said, those curious about the cameos are encouraged to check it out. The curiosity factor just might achieve the results the marketing folks had hoped for, causing those cash registers to ring. So be it. In the end, it’s still Dr. Stanley who prescribes exactly what is called for.

– Lee Zimmerman

Looks like there's a Robert Plant / Diplo collaboration in the works. Well, time to be open to some new musical creations again :D

Diplo, Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant Announce Collaboration On Instagram: How Will Fans React?

by Ryan Middleton March 29, 2015 15:27 PM EDT

robert-plant-lollapalooza-brazil-2015.jp

Robert Plant Lollapalooza Brazil 2015 (Photo : Mauricio Santana/Getty Images)

Whoa... we did not see this one coming at all. This collaboration came deep out of the Wrigley Field ivy in left field, According to an Instagram post by Diplo—the "Express Yourself" DJ put up a a selfie of him and Led Zeppelin legend, Robert Plant, noting that the pair are collaborating on something. The caption simply says "collab coming soon" so it isn't clear what they are working on or who it is for—it could be basic production work for a new Plant song, or Robert could be laying down some vocals for a new Diplo track.

This is not the first time a legendary rocker has decided to work with one of the creatives from the new generation. Paul McCartney and Kanye West have formed a special bond over the past year or

so as the pair have worked diligently on West's upcoming album So Help Me God and even performed bits of it together, like "FourFiveSeconds" at the Grammys.

Both artists were on the Lollapalooza Brazil lineup this weekend, playing a Saturday slot. Diplo was down with Major Lazer and the connection must have occurred down there in one of their hotel

rooms. The pair are both going to be on the road a lot over the next several months as the summer festival season heats up, so it may be a while before fans hear this song in full, but let's hope it

comes sooner rather than later.

This could be a real shock to the system for old-school rock fans that don't believe in the merits of electronic music. However this could be incredible interesting to hear how the pair mesh together

and if it is a more Robert Plant sounding track or a more Diplo sounding track.

post-7547-0-52225800-1427672942_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

^ Makes sense, luvlz2.

There seems to be some discrepancy in the number of copies of More Roar that will be made available on RSD.

Both RP's site and Nonesuch state that 10,000 will be released:

http://www.robertplant.com/#news/limited-edition-live-ep-to-be-released-for-record-store-day

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/record-store-day-releases-robert-plant-steve-reich-buena-vista-social-club-april-18-2015-03-10

However, the UK RSD site has the number at 2000...!

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/rsd-2015/robert-plant.aspx

^ Is this a typo? Or is it that 2000 copies will be available in the UK?

It would be a shame for fans if availability for all locations were reduced to one fifth of what was expected. Hmm... I may have to revise my strategy in how I go about trying to get it if this is the case.

2000 sounds more right, and if it's 2000 getting in line early may be advisable. Why take a chance? 10,000 does not sound right for a RSD release. Different record stores do it differently, some may put all the RSD releases in one area, some may not. It's a good idea if you see any employees before the doors open to ask, specifically ask them where it's at. Good luck this Wednesday Patrycja!

2000 sounds more right, and if it's 2000 getting in line early may be advisable. Why take a chance? 10,000 does not sound right for a RSD release. Different record stores do it differently, some may put all the RSD releases in one area, some may not. It's a good idea if you see any employees before the doors open to ask, specifically ask them where it's at. Good luck this Wednesday Patrycja!

Hey luvlz2 - really I thought 10,000 was kind of low given all the places that are participating, but I have no reference point for other releases. I will definitely double check now that I've got a bit of breathing room to do so. Thanks for the luck, and may you be at least as lucky if you're participating :) (though it's on Saturday the 18th, no? My heart skipped for a moment - I'm working longer tomorrow...) Thanks for the good tip, too, I appreciate it! :beer:

it's on Saturday the 18th, no?

You're right, it's the 18th. I'm not going to get there super early this time, but I will check in my local record store and try to get one this Saturday. The Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek red, clear, and blue RSD release was limited to 2000 copies (see Strider's post #36 on this thread: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/20418-live-at-the-greek-lp/page-2 ). I was there at 3 am and was first in line, no one else showed up until around 5 am. It may be different the times people show up in your city. I really don't want to discourage you but I believe if I had not been one of the first in line I would not have got one, so my advice is get there before anyone else! Best of luck Patrycja!

You're right, it's the 18th. I'm not going to get there super early this time, but I will check in my local record store and try to get one this Saturday. The Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek red, clear, and blue RSD release was limited to 2000 copies (see Strider's post #36 on this thread: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/20418-live-at-the-greek-lp/page-2 ). I was there at 3 am and was first in line, no one else showed up until around 5 am. It may be different the times people show up in your city. I really don't want to discourage you but I believe if I had not been one of the first in line I would not have got one, so my advice is get there before anyone else! Best of luck Patrycja!

3AM?! That's dedication. A bit ungodly of an hour to be up at (coming in, maybe, but waking up.... no). I work Saturdays and thought that getting to a store at around noon would be ok, but now I'm thinking it's better to rearrange things to get there earlier. I went to a couple of places already and they're no longer participating, apparently because it's a big rip-off (some musicians putting out shitty quality vinyl to cash in on the trend or words to that effect). People's intentions are their own, be it record store owners or musicians, but if you know what you want, and you know it's good quality, I feel it's a great event to participate in for both musicians and fans. I hope you get the record(s) you want, luvlz2 :)

haha... ha 'good one' :rolleyes:

Diplo Was Joking About That Robert Plant Collaboration—But Now He’s Not

April 16, 2015 10:46

diploplant.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

Diplo, Robert Plant (John Sciulli/Theo Wargo/Getty Images)

By Jay Tilles

Last month, Diplo posted a selfie with Robert Plant, the concise accompanying caption reading, “Collab coming soon,” leaving fans with more questions than answers.

But in an interview today with KROQ’s Kevin & Bean, Diplo revealed the story behind the infamous photo with the Led Zeppelin frontman.

“I was on tour with Robert Plant down in South America and we never did anything together, I just wrote that on my Instagram,” he said. “It seemed like it was so insane that no one would take it seriously but now I’m actively going to look for him to do a collaboration.

“The reason I even approached him backstage is because he beat me for the GRAMMY Record of the Year four years ago [note: Plant and Alison Krauss won for “Please Read the Letter” in 2009, beating out the Diplo-produced “Paper Planes” by M.I.A.) and I told him that was my only chance to to get that award and you and Alison Krauss ruined it for me, but I still want to get a photo with you anyway.

Bean remarked that for being such a young guy, it’s “awesome” that Diplo has an appreciation for Plant.

http://1033ampradio.cbslocal.com/2015/04/16/diplo-was-joking-about-that-robert-plant-collaboration-but-now-hes-not/

Perhaps Diplo should work on his material with a comedian instead... :drumz:

Nowhere on the record or the record cover does it say where any of the songs were recorded at, only when you listen to "Turn It Up" and you hear Robert sing; "And All The People In Glasgow say" (Turn it up). Really enjoyed listening to it, a very enjoyable listen on vinyl!

post-15049-0-96326400-1429419569_thumb.j

I actually went online to check if any shops close to me were involved in Record Store day. I now believe that we have records shops in my county that has a population of over half a million. I found participating stores over 50 miles away but no More Roar. Considering that we had a record store 5 minutes walk from me a kid and 10 close by I hope that record store day continues rto raise this issue. Very sad to have not even found a copy anywhere near me.

^^I just transferred it to mp3 and I'll send you a copy anniemouse if you want to listen to it, no charge. I sent you a pm.

(If anyone else is interested pm me, I will make a very, very limited number of copies for other Robert Plant fans on this board, particularly those who I see regularly post on the Robert Plant threads and really want to hear "More Roar" and are unable to)

Hey everyone there is a live song where the lead guitarist of the SSS opens the song with guitar lines that start classic and bluesy but end with notes outside of traditional blues that gives it...with lack of a better way of putting it an "exotic"tinge...such a thick guitar tone too... I checked through the studio recordings and could not pinpoint it so im thinking this could either be a song or intro that are only played live... I want to send this to a friend of mine to entice him to go see RP & the SSS... Could anyone help please?

^^ Some interesting branches for discussion about RSD. Part of the issue is that some stores drop out because the principle is being tainted - now that vinyl's popularity is growing, some bands are hopping on the trend but with poor vinyl/sound quality. It's a weird reason to drop out because so many other bands are doing it the right way. It's like choosing not to listen to music in general because some people make shitty music. I suspect there's more going on there, but if they don't want to participate, that's their choice. Besides, they seem to be in the minority for now, though the call for quality control even at this early stage is interesting...

Another issue is that some stores are so packed that people don't get what they want, this particularly because some stores simply do not get anything close to what they requested. I don't know what the system is, whether it's random or what, but if a store is expecting a certain shipment and gets, say, a quarter of what was requested, then it leaves store clerks offering explanations and apologies and fans pissed off and running around. On the other hand, it's hard for some people to find a store that is even participating in their area. Just seems like something they should work on ironing out so there's a better balance of stores and stock.

I've also heard fans say that it would be better if they made it Record Store Weekend, or even RS Week once it grows. Lots of people go with their kids and want more time to have that experience with them, and have a better chance to get at least some of what they have on their wish lists.

I get the excitement of the enterprise, and the surprise of the experience - disappointment is sometimes a part of it, that's the way it goes. The hunt is more fun if success not guaranteed; still, I think the powers that be can work on finding a balance between keeping it fresh and spontaneous with some better distribution structure... just some thoughts about it from experience and talking to other people...

So More Roar has now started to appear on Ebay. Now what do I do. It seems so against the principle of Record Store Day.

All rather sad as I missed out.

I've seen the lot on ebay, too, but it looks like you're in luck with an alternative. @ledzepnews is tweeting that two hundred copies of More Roar are now for sale online via Robert's site. Hope you get a copy :)

RPL64165.jpg

To celebrate Record Store Day 2015, Robert is releasing a special 10" EP titled More Roar, which collects three live performances from his recent world tour to support his 10th solo record, Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar. Side A is "Turn It Up" / "Arbaden," and side B is “Poor Howard” and “Whole Lotta Love (Medley)”

Check it out! http://robertplant.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=RPLWEBWWGBP&sku=RPL64165

By the way, luvlz2 - mystery solved: 10,000 copies worldwide, 2,000 of which were in the UK

EDIT:

P.S. Nonesuch Records also has a limited number of More Roar copies for sale online :thumbsup:

When the annual Record Store Day celebration took place earlier this month, included among the special releases were limited-edition vinyl from Robert Plant and Steve Reich. A very limited number of both items is now available in the Nonesuch Store.

The new EP from Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters entitled More Roar features three tracks on black 10" vinyl recorded live during the group’s 2014 world tour celebrating the release of his Nonesuch / Warner Bros. Records debut album, lullaby and... Ceaseless Roar. On side A is "Turn It Up" / "Arbaden," and on side B is "Poor Howard" and "Whole Lotta Love (Medley)." The EP was limited to 10,000 copies, and a few are now available in the Nonesuch Store here. For tickets to see Plant and the band on their upcoming North American tour, visit nonesuch.com/on-tour.

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/robert-plant-steve-reich-record-store-day-vinyl-nonesuch-store-2015-04-27

Check it out! http://www.nonesuch.com/store/robert-plant

(Do yourself a favour and compare prices of the two links, ok? Just saying... ;) )

Bought a copy so thanks for letting me know about the extra available.

Actually found out a record shop does exist in County Durham but it seems to deal only in second hand vinyl.

There seems to be some major issues about how we buy and listen to our music. Yes you can get a top 10 CD along with you potatoes at your local supermarket but that will always seem and odd thing to me getting hold of other stuff is impossible unless you go online.

I cannot get my head around these new digital platforms either. It seems chaotic and am constantly puzzled at how someone can just listen passively to music on a phone. Music was an active pursuit and still is for me (oh this makes me sound like a grumpy old fart though).

Again thank you for the tip off.

I bought a copy from the US Nonesuch store. Came to just over £12 - less than half the cost of buying the record through Robert's webstore here.

EDIT:

P.S. Nonesuch Records also has a limited number of More Roar copies for sale online :thumbsup:

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/robert-plant-steve-reich-record-store-day-vinyl-nonesuch-store-2015-04-27

Check it out! http://www.nonesuch.com/store/robert-plant

(Do yourself a favour and compare prices of the two links, ok? Just saying... ;) )

Archived