ROBERT PLANT - LULLABY AND... THE CEASELESS ROAR

sam_webmaster

Just for the record...should we post our thoughts/reviews of "lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar" here or in the Post-Zeppelin section?

After seven pages it might be a tad late!

I like what I've heard so far and like any album I've ever listened to for the first time, including Zeppelin, it usually takes a couple of plays before it all becomes clear.

The fact that some have completely shunned it out of hand without giving it a fair go, is very sad.

Here's a tip for free, it's NOT Led Zeppelin and doesn't pretend to be.

Jimmy Page could take a leaf out of Robert Plant's book and do something different, he may even enjoy it.

I have to update my initial review of Lullaby....and the Ceaseless Roar....seriously the album REALLY gets

much much better upon multiple listening. Especially in a high quality audio format. Very rich and dynamic.

I didn't find much on the first listen but, like a magic trick, it gets better and more complex upon repeated scrutiny.

I think Robert purposely put all the little references to past songs in these new songs to remind us all how he

got here in the first place.

My absolute favorite reference is the "Wah-Wah" lyric at the end of "Poor Howard" that brings me back to

Page-Plant in Morocco days of which I loved dearly.

The new Plant album is a treasure chest of precious nuggets set against a beautifully chaotic background.

Love the album title.... "Lullaby (song to sing to put some-one/thing to bed, ie Led Zeppelin) and the Ceaseless Roar" (the never ending call for Zeppelin activity.)..Well maybe, probably not.

^^^

Robert seemed to dispel that one during his Facebook chat:

Q: What was the inspiration for the album cover?

RP: It is the home of the Ceaseless Roar.

I pre-ordered the FLAC downloads from Nonesuch -- really enjoyed what I heard. Bought the CD at work, and have been happy ever since!

I'll have to go back and listen to Mighty ReArranger to see if any of the negative reactions to this latest outing are valid.

BBC Radio 6 Music

180 min show from yesterday

audio available for another 5 days (or so) only ...

Plant section - with live music in the studio - starts at 02:08:40 ... ( and lasts for almost 40 min )

here is a summary link - Plant-interview + Band-live

-- Rainbow

-- Little Maggie

-- Pocketful Of Golden

-- Turn It Up

this link should last for 40 days ...

[ do prefer the 180-min-link above, because the audio is louder ... ]

The fact that some have completely shunned it out of hand without giving it a fair go, is very sad.

Here's a tip for free, it's NOT Led Zeppelin and doesn't pretend to be.

Jimmy Page could take a leaf out of Robert Plant's book and do something different, he may even enjoy it.

I was thinking along the same lines. I've always enjoyed most of Robert's solo material. It's not Zepppelin (and does not try to be) but there is still plenty of good music in his catalogue.

One could argue that Robert is the one who is truly carrying the Zeppelin torch these days. The band was always about pushing the boundaries and inventing or re-imagining fresh new sounds. Robert has been doing this with all of his albums over the last 30 years. As much as I appreciate Jimmy's work on the new remasters, there is not much musical innovation in re-releasing 40 year old material and pining for reunion tours.

I will continue to enjoy the new Zeppelin re-releases along with Robert's musical explorations. Why would I feel the need to restrict myself to one or the other?

Nice song. First one I've listen to thus far. Thanks for posting! :)

Hi Walter!! :friends: The album is wonderful IMHO. If you get a chance to get the vinyl I think it is really worth it. I am totally enjoying it..I have listed to it about 20 times (hopefully I will know all the words to each song very soon)

Robert Plant sets aside his rambling ways, returns to the misty mountains on new solo album

By CHRIS TALBOTT, AP Music Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Robert Plant has been a lifelong rambler with almost no interest in returning home to Great Britain. These days, though, he's as snug as a hobbit in his hole in his native country after returning to record his latest album, and he doesn't plan on changing his home base soon.

"I'm back," Plant said in a recent phone interview from his home along the Welsh border. "My dog is curled up in the sunlight here in the late afternoon and it's a beautiful day. It's a beautiful place to be. All the flowers are at maximum full boost."

Like his choice of place, Plant is returning to musical territory he long ago left behind for the songs on "Lullaby and . The Ceaseless Roar," his ninth solo studio album. It's his first work in years that includes material he mostly wrote. The 66-year-old former Led Zeppelin frontman has been interpreting the American Songbook for decades to great effect, roaming the back roads of Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas in an endless quest, compelled, he said, by his DNA.

Then something changed in his internal chemistry, and he felt drawn home: "In a way, ironically, being a guy who sang in Led Zeppelin and stuff, I actually just returned to the misty mountains to be honest." It wasn't the only life change. He also split with Patty Griffin, his girlfriend of several years.

"Life goes on, and I have a huge and deep affection for Patty," Plant said. "I just had to come back."

You'll hear Plant obliquely address his personal life on the album in songs like "Embrace Another Fall," which he says "is about the regret of turning around." He reflects his experiences on the road in America as well and reconnects with the new/old surroundings of his upbringing.

"The Welsh, you see, have a totally different culture," Plant said of a history he was introduced to as a child on vacation. "They're quite lovely players. But once upon a time their stories were way different than the Anglo-Saxon stories. There were stories of changelings and all this stuff that's inspired by the landscape. It's there in this current record, too. I'm here and my feet, my body, my energy, it goes deep into the ground."

He signed up The Sensational Space Shifters, a band that consists of longtime collaborators and the Gambian performer Juldeh Camara, for the album. They spent 15 months together on the road, then hit the studio. The result is ambitious and strikingly different, and Plant calls the results "a triumph." After years as an interpreter, he found he had lots to say as a songwriter again.

"All I know is I can do it," Plant said of songwriting. "There are times when I don't do it and I wonder whether or not I still can... So to be returning to the gift again is slightly daunting, but really it's like a current. It just flowed. I had things to talk about, so I wasn't just thinking about some romantic moment sitting in a barroom or anything like that because that doesn't suit where I come from, what I do."

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2014/09/12/robert-plant-sets-aside-rambling-ways-on-new-lp

Robert Plant: Lullaby And …The Ceaseless Roar

By Published: September 13, 2014

Singer Robert Plant's interesting and colorful journey in music continues further with a brilliant new outing named lullaby and ... The Ceaseless Roar. For one thing, this record shows that as Plant gets older he does wondrous things but settle down. His former band casts a long shadow in today's music, with Led Zeppelin as popular as ever, and in a year that saw the band's albums re-released in lavish box sets and various audio formats, Robert Plant takes a new turn with this record.

When he embarked on a solo career he seemed to be deliberately distancing himself from his lurid past as a rock god he wholeheartedly embraced experimentation to explore different and unanticipated musical directions—sometimes with mixed results but nevertheless it was the road less traveled. What has always been interesting about Plant, even from pre-Zeppelin times was that he was always an ardent student of music, a keen listener, a restless explorer, a traveler of both time and space, and as a result those interests have reflected strongly on his solo records more and more as the years went by.

Much of his records prior to this one were explorations and inventive interpretations of folk songs such as the popular Raising Sand, (Rounder Records, 2007) the duet with bluegrass singer Alison Krauss or the Band of Joy (Rounder Records, 2010) which continued to explore the Americana sound from the Raising Sand. But lullaby and ...The Ceaseless Roar has much more in common with Mighty Rearranger, (Sanctuary, 2005) which was a mixture of rock and world music, only this record puts more ingredients in the pot and the results are more astonishing.

34 years since Led Zeppelin disbanded Plant has really reached a second creative high withlullaby. His muse has led him around the globe and those experiences and influences have poured into this record much deeper. Plant's elastic approach to songwriting has long reflected a world of influences beyond conventional borders. The album seamlessly brings together sounds as diverse as rock, folk, African music, blues and situated them within a swirl of addictive electronic loops and rhythms. All but two songs, the opener "Maggie's Song," an Appalachian folk song, and its reprised version, the closing song "Arbaden (Maggie's Babby)" were written by Plant and his band, the Sensational Space Shifters, which performances are delivered with a wonderful blend of smoothness and swagger. The music reflects the myriad of Plant's interests that his band masterfully mixes into its own musical Esperanto.

Both cohesive and inconceivably modern, these 11 perfectly honed tracks sound like a profound realization of the connections between ancient and modern. Ancient and electronic elements blend in a timeless, ethereal fashion, transcending labels and it's the kind of incongruous details in it that makes ears prick up with delight. On top of that is Plant's voice that brilliantly and masterfully shapes and guides these songs. While his voice is a far cry from the days with Led Zeppelin this set finds Plant's expressive voice in fine form.

lullaby and ...The Ceaseless Roar is easily Robert Plant's finest solo record to date. This carefully crafted record is a complex and complete artistic statement from a unique, open-minded group and on top of that it is a reminder of how exciting music can be made when it truly bends boundaries. It finds Plant's questing spirit as strong as ever.

Track Listing: Little Maggie, Rainbow, Pocketful of Golden, Embrace Another Fall, Turn It Up, A Stolen Kiss, Somebody There, Poor Howard, House of Love, Up on the Hollow Hill (Understanding Arthur), Arbaden (Maggie's Babby).

Personnel: Robert Plant: vocals, production; Justin Adams: bendirs, djembe, guitars, tehardant, background vocals; Liam "Skin" Tyson: banjo, guitar, background vocals; John Baggott: keyboards, loops, moog bass, piano, tabal, background vocals; Juldeh Camara: kologo, ritti, Fulani vocals; Billy Fuller: bass, drum programming, omnichord, upright bass; Dave Smith: drum set.

Record Label: Nonesuch Records

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/robert-plant-lullaby-and-the-ceaseless-roar-by-nenad-georgievski.php#.VBRmjPldV8E

This is the first Robert Plant solo album I have listened to. I've tried listening to others but never got past the samples on iTunes. Some of his hits from the 80s are great.

I really like this album, the soundscape is ever changing and very interesting to listen to. The only song I don't care for is "Arbaden (Maggie's Babby)"

How many times have you listened to the album? It usually takes me a few plays before I start to familiarise myself with the songs & really get into it, to say most of the LP is 'filler' a day after its release seems a little negative to me. Although you did say you found the cover uninteresting a few weeks back so it's hardly a surprise you've gone into it with that attitude.

Anyway, to each his own - personally I can't wait to get home tonight to put it on again, Poor Howard was a particular highlight for me.

Ignore him Mook. He has little time for Plants work so his views aren't worth reading. If you want to know the name of the taxi driver who drove Jimmy in 1973 from his hotel in germany then thats what he can give you. As a music critic he's pretty worthless as he doesn't seem to have any real feel for music.

Somebody There does remind me of somebody here, so that's nice...Little Maggie is a good cover of the original...Pocketful of Golden is alright...I can't stand Rainbow...Turn It Up? "How about NO, Scott?"...and the rest of the album is filler.

Hardly filler...well crafted gems along with a nice sense of exploration

If you want to know the name of the taxi driver who drove Jimmy in 1973 from his hotel in germany then thats what he can give you. As a music critic he's pretty worthless as he doesn't seem to have any real feel for music.

It is of utter importancy to know that Jimmy ate three, and not five Knödels in 1973 (as the taxi driver claimed).

Who cares about music anyway?

BBC Radio 6 Music

180 min show from yesterday

audio available for another 5 days (or so) only ...

Plant section - with live music in the studio - starts at 02:08:40 ... ( and lasts for almost 40 min )

Thank's for the link motu.

I'm listening to this and liking it very much. I'm going to buy the cd for sure. :)

I pre-ordered the FLAC downloads from Nonesuch -- really enjoyed what I heard. Bought the CD at work, and have been happy ever since!

I'll have to go back and listen to Mighty ReArranger to see if any of the negative reactions to this latest outing are valid.

Hi Melcórë,

I searched online and couldnt find a legitemate website to purchase any flac files.

I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

By the way, are the flacs you purchased 16bit or 24bit?

Cheers

Thank's for the link motu.

I'm listening to this and liking it very much. I'm going to buy the cd for sure. :)

Hi Melcórë,

I searched online and couldnt find a legitemate website to purchase any flac files.

I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

By the way, are the flacs you purchased 16bit or 24bit?

Cheers

Here ya go azad. I had to look for it too. Load up the link and it's on the bottom right as one of the options beneath Add To Cart.

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/lullaby-and-the-ceaseless-roar

Here ya go azad. I had to look for it too. Load up the link and it's on the bottom right as one of the options beneath Add To Cart.

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/lullaby-and-the-ceaseless-roar

Hey there FunkyPhantom.

Thanks for the link mate. Much appreciated. :gimmefive:

I might wait to see if Melcórë can tell me if the flacs are HD or just 16bit 48khz. If it's just 16bit flacs I will just buy the cd and flac them myself.

Either way, thanks for your help. :)

I picked up the CD at Target over the weekend, the last one on the shelf BTW. ...much more mellow and less psychedelic than I expected. Only have had time to listen to it once. I need to give it a few more spins. ....I dont care to get caught up in an artists personal private life, but I wonder if his romance down in Austin was in its finale stages during the writing of this material. ...it has a Fate of Nations tempo going on. Was he not on the tail end of his relationship with Alannah Myles at the time? I love Fate, its my favorite of his solo albums.

Bought the record the day it came out. Really impressed. I think its much better than Band Of Joy, its up there with the best Plant albums!

Pocketfull of golden is my fav for now.

SSShhh, keep it quiet that you like it or those around here that don't like it will hear. :stereo:;)

When I heard the title of this album and saw the album art I thought of Matthew Arnold's poem Dover Beach. Though in fact, all that comes down to is that the poem includes, separately, the words "ceaseless" and "roar" and, being set by the sea, conjures the idea of a shell ( which as we know, if you hold it to your ear, you can hear the tide ... )

So my associations lead nowhere really : in fact they seem utterly irrelevant ... but hey, it's one hell of a poem :

Dover Beach

The sea is calm tonight,
The tide is full, the moon lies fair
Upon the straits; on the French coast the light
Gleams and is gone; the cliffs of England stand,
Glimmering and vast, out in the tranquil bay.
Come to the window, sweet is the night air!

Only, from the long line of spray
Where the sea meets the moon-blanched land,
Listen! you hear the grating roar
Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,
At their return, up the high strand,
Begin, and cease, and then again begin,
With tremulous cadence slow, and bring
The eternal note of sadness in.

Sophocles long ago
Heard it on the Agean, and it brought
Into his mind the turbid ebb and flow
Of human misery; we
Find also in the sound a thought,
Hearing it by this distant northern sea.

The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.

Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain