ROBERT PLANT - LULLABY AND... THE CEASELESS ROAR

sam_webmaster

Does anyone out there know why Robert carries that little brass bell around with him and rings it occasionally on live TV or in a video?

It's symbolic of something I just don't know what!

Help??

something to do with the ALS bucket challenge, "for whom the bell tolls" summoning his nominations with the bell.

Sorry if this was posted already, congradulations Robert!

According to The Pulse Of Radio, Robert Plant's new solo set with backing band Sensational Space Shifters has earned the former Led Zeppelin frontman a Top 10 hit on The Billboard 200 album chart. The album, "Lullaby...And The Ceaseless Roar", came in a full five spaces under Plant's previous studio set, 2010's "Band Of Joy", and far below his Top 2 runaway hit with Alison Krauss on their groundbreaking 2007 "Raising Sand" collection. Plant's 2004 album, "Mighty Rearranger", got as high as No. 4.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-robert-plant-solo-set-debuts-in-u-s-top-10/

I like the record, at first I was thinking, where is Robert Plant's big voice he was talkin about in interviews w the band of joy. I agree with others, that it takes a few listens to appreciate. Actually I've been listening to it back to back w the band of joy record. It's an interesting transition and I could see some of the band of joy stuff being on this record, or a few of the space shifters stuff bein on his last record. Maybe a sign of how Plant leads the direction of the music. As well as showing t bone burnetts influence on raising sand.

Plants vocals sound great here ofcourse. Between the two recording engineers there's an apparent balance between making the music accessable, yet authentic with the styles. I continue to think that the drums/keyboard combination is an important part of this band. Some of that combo here reminds me of the dreamland record. This current record seems more cohesive to me, than the band of joy record...it just plays in a smoother way, less transitioning goin on, maybe I'm wrong about that though. Yet there is stuff musically, reminding me of shaken n stirred on one song and even some page/plant clarksdale period vibes. It has moderate use of electric guitar, some hip hop beats, and variety, even the piano song maybe being a first in that kind of tempo...from what I'm picking up on so far. Looking forward to listening to this record some more.

According to The Pulse Of Radio, Robert Plant's new solo set with backing band Sensational Space Shifters has earned the former Led Zeppelin frontman a Top 10 hit on The Billboard 200 album chart. The album, "Lullaby...And The Ceaseless Roar", came in a full five spaces under Plant's previous studio set, 2010's "Band Of Joy", and far below his Top 2 runaway hit with Alison Krauss on their groundbreaking 2007 "Raising Sand" collection. Plant's 2004 album, "Mighty Rearranger", got as high as No. 4.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-robert-plant-solo-set-debuts-in-u-s-top-10/

Put differently, thus far Band of Joy (which charted as high as #4) has garnered twice as much Billboard album chart success as Lullaby (which is currently on the chart at #9). Having said that, I'm not so sure chart success means as much as it once did as the competition isn't all that strong within the industry nowadays.

Album sales are also way down. The chart topping album sold 88,000 copies in it's first week of release, according to Sound Scan. For the week ending Sept. 14, total album sales clocked in at 4.2 million units, down 9 percent from the comparable point in 2013, while year-to-date album sales totaled 166.9 million, down 15 percent compared with last year.

Bought it a few days ago and have had a proper listen - intrigued me in the first hearing, captured me after a few more. Like it better than Raising Sand, and even moreso than Vultures.

"A Stolen Kiss" - helplessly fell in love with it at the first; I'm undone.

A finely wrought album, each song subtly weaving textures from various musical influences in ways that make for an engaging experience that still 'sounds like' Plant (his voice has obviously changed over time, but the songs reflect how he's refined his instrument). It's very interesting to see how a musician navigates blending of new musical territories, and this is a beautiful sonic tapestry.

I don't really get the criticism, even if people don't 'like' it (largely to do with expectations, I think, rather than quality of the material). An artist embarks on a musical journey creating an eclectic soundscape, yet some fans are still anchored in who they want him to be ie/ be the guy from 30 years ago. At TIFF this year, Scorsese said it took him years to learn how to read a book. Maybe it's the same with some people and listening...

Maybe the best compliment I can give is that lullaby doesn't sound like Zep and I don't expect it to. The whole endeavour just sort of supports the right kind of creative current for both the listener and the artist.

p.s. People in the GTA - the two Toronto locations of Sunrise Records will be closing soon (I forget if the guy said mid-October or mid-November). Anyway, I got the 2-vinyl plus CD lullaby version there at 40% off fyi (all 'white sticker' sales have that discount). Too bad that this is the way of some vinyl/CD stores in our time and place (too expensive to stay open in Toronto), but at least you can pick this up along with any other albums you may have in mind (Leonard Cohen's new CD is being released tomorrow...).

Now I just have to look into getting a turntable...

^^ At least this is out:-)

Led Zeppelin's "Golden God" keeps on rocking
ctm0922clean-1frame192893.jpg

He is known as the "Golden God." And he's not showing signs of stopping, releasing his tenth solo album.

Robert Plant has defined how to look, act and sound like a rock star in a musical journey that spans more than four decades.

His raw, raspy voice is instantly recognizable and launched Led Zeppelin into superstardom in the 1970s.

Together for little over a decade, the British band sold more than 300 million records, with each of their nine studio albums landing on billboard's top 10 charts.

It is hard to overstate the influence that Led Zeppelin had on rock and roll.

Whenever there was an attempt to pigeonhole them as this big bludgeoning hard rock band, the next record would be more acoustic based

Plant penned some of the group's most enduring anthems. One of them, "Stairway to Heaven," provided a blueprint for all hard rock bands to come.

But when drummer John Bonham died in 1980 -- so did the band.

ctm0922clean-1frame190725.jpg
Robert Plant speaks to the "CBS This Morning" co-hosts about his new album

"He and I played together since we were like 16. There was a big, big hole in all of our lives. I just thought it was time to move along," he said Monday on CBS This Morning.

Plant didn't stop, though. From there he continued to explore new genres through a successful solo career.

Unlike many of his Zeppelin albums, he said his 2007 album with Alison Krauss was a hit among critics and fans alike.

"In Zeppelin we were the pariah of music, critically we were slammed a lot," Plant said, "I team up with Alison Krauss, and what do I get? Six Grammys in one night!"

Now, on his tenth solo album, "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar," Plant weaves world music with blues, bluegrass, and a lifetime of adventure.

© 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

CBS NEWSSeptember 22, 2014, 10:56 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-plant-led-zeppelins-golden-god-keeps-on-rocking/

Thanks for posting! That format of three interviewers oddly spaced is distracting but I liked the questions from Gayle King.

She got right in there - less reverent than Charlie Rose (who is unabashed fan)- with some amusing questions.

I'm looking forward to his performance in Brooklyn this weekend!

^^Hi Patrycja- sorry to hear about Sunrise records in your area.

^^Fire Opal and FunkyPhantom, agree.He looks great in the interview.

Here is about 5 of the 8 minutes of the interview...enjoy, once you get past the ad:-)

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/robert-plant-on-led-zeppelin-and-solo-career/

Hey Deb, thanks, yeah it sucks. Hopefully it's not a canary in the goldmine scenario with these stores. There are others that sell vinyl, but it's part of the impact of the digital trend, unfortunately. Great link, thanks. Plant's always a good interview. Better not cut his hair, though, we know what happened to Samson...

Just had Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar vinyl & CD arrive today, have to say immediately…….Sublime, majestic, powerful rhythms, emotional vocals, very tribal at times that gets you up and dancing, honestly if you ain't a miserable sod like some here you will absolutely love it, to me it's his greatest work post Zep, not a single weak track, all of them are engaging,

Fave tracks for now…."Turn it up"

"A Stolen Kiss"

"House of Love"

PS…Got it cranked right now for the umpteenth time, there's moments my hair stands up on the back of my neck, this is a beautiful piece of work my Gawd!

post-11164-0-15746500-1411571068_thumb.j

Just had Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar vinyl & CD arrive today, have to say immediately…….Sublime, majestic, powerful rhythms, emotional vocals, very tribal at times that gets you up and dancing, honestly if you ain't a miserable sod like some here you will absolutely love it, to me it's his greatest work post Zep, not a single weak track, all of them are engaging,

Fave tracks for now…."Turn it up"

"A Stolen Kiss"

"House of Love"

PS…Got it cranked right now for the umpteenth time, there's moments my hair stands up on the back of my neck, this is a beautiful piece of work my Gawd!

attachicon.gifrobert_plant_lullaby_and_the_ceaseless_roar_a__09633.1410300000.1280.1280.jpg

So glad you like it zepdawg, and you have written a great write up on it.

I concur with you. It's a great album. :)

Bought it a few days ago and have had a proper listen - intrigued me in the first hearing, captured me after a few more. Like it better than Raising Sand, and even moreso than Vultures.

"A Stolen Kiss" - helplessly fell in love with it at the first; I'm undone.

A finely wrought album, each song subtly weaving textures from various musical influences in ways that make for an engaging experience that still 'sounds like' Plant (his voice has obviously changed over time, but the songs reflect how he's refined his instrument). It's very interesting to see how a musician navigates blending of new musical territories, and this is a beautiful sonic tapestry.

I don't really get the criticism, even if people don't 'like' it (largely to do with expectations, I think, rather than quality of the material). An artist embarks on a musical journey creating an eclectic soundscape, yet some fans are still anchored in who they want him to be ie/ be the guy from 30 years ago. At TIFF this year, Scorsese said it took him years to learn how to read a book. Maybe it's the same with some people and listening...

Maybe the best compliment I can give is that lullaby doesn't sound like Zep and I don't expect it to. The whole endeavour just sort of supports the right kind of creative current for both the listener and the artist.

:bravo: Here Here!

^^ :)

Robert Plant's Journey To 'Ceaseless' Joy Tuesday, September 23, 2014

robert-plant.jpg

Robert Plant has lived a few lives in his five decades of music-making, and his voice has had just as many reincarnations. As the iconic frontman of Led Zeppelin, he had the wail of a golden god on a mountain-top. Later, he was the cool counterpoint to Alison Krauss's warm intonations. And, at least occasionally on his latest record, lullaby and... the Ceaseless Roar, his voice conveys the sound of a voyager meditating on his many travels.

On lullaby and… the Ceaseless Roar, Plant explores his love of the English countryside, which he often visited with his parents during his childhood. His family was one of the few to have a car in post-war Britain, and they made use of it to drive out to the countryside. After years of touring, recording and otherwise traveling throughout the world, Plant returned to the area in an attempt to recharge himself.

“Despite my sort of wanderlust, which I’m pleased to be a passenger to, I did make a couple of journeys out there somewhere,” says Plant, in a conversation with Soundcheck host John Schaefer. “And bit by bit, it dawned on me that I was having a removal of some kind of cataracts. I just suddenly saw this condition returning to me as I was when I was a child.”

Plant discusses lullaby and… the Ceaseless Roar, the music that has influenced him, and his involvement with his beloved soccer club, the Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Robert Plant, on the British and African influences in “Little Maggie”:

I wanted the album to start with this impression of carrying on from [Plant’s project] Band Of Joy. And as the track develops, you get an idea that we mean British business, and African business, as well... A lot of the North and West African music has deep parallels with the Celtic music that ended up on the west coast of Scotland and Ireland.

On singing about Britain’s Western Shore on “A Stolen Kiss”:

It’s a very dramatic and rejunvianting life force there. I go there to top up the ridiculousness that I am, I guess. I do feel it, really. When the sea and the sky meld into the same oily blue colors — somebody comes along and blows a whistle and puts me back in the van. And says, "Okay, you’ve had enough now. Sail to Manhattan."

On hitting the high notes in "Rainbow":

You sing according to the music. You create the music together with other people, and then you intertwine vocal approach and attitude and lyric on top of something that you’ve created. The melody and falsettos don’t come first — you have to put them on something.

I’ve always tried to sing in an appropriate way to suit the tapestry underneath. When I was working with Patti Griffin or Alison Krauss, I had to modify the natural flamboyance of singing as an individual singer. In Zeppelin or whatever, I was the only one ever singing — apart from a few dodgy harmonies coming in from other members of the bands. So to modify is what it’s all about. To be a good singer is to sing in accordance with the mood of the music.

On his executive role with the English soccer club, the Wolverhampton Wanderers:

I go all the time. I have to go, wherever it is. And I am lifetime vice president of the club. It doesn’t cost me anything. Sometimes I wear a suit and tie and meet dignitaries, but mostly I’m in the stands with all me mates... Maybe football is like being in a band. It’s a similar sort of thing. You talk about it. You have your moments of great elation. It’s crackin’ stuff.

Here is the link to the interview:-)...enjoy

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/robert-plant-lullaby-ceaseless-roar/?utm_source=showpage&utm_medium=treatment&utm_campaign=featured&utm_content=item0

Archived