2014-15 NBA Thread....

paul carruthers

Tomorrow night Rick, Clippers at Heat--Heat have been struggling after coming fast out of the gates, so tomorrow should be another stiff test....

Clippers appear to have woken up. Two of the CBS analysts including Moore who does the nightly picks has them winning it all this year. I believe they have the talent to get it done.

Raptors: 12-2. Tied for first in the league. It's happening!

Clippers are full of talent but they've yet to prove they can get over the hump of beating elite teams in the playoffs. Of course, it's much tougher to to in the Western conference, but still...

Portland looks good, if they can stay healthy. Cavs are fragile, but I have no pity what with their three #1 picks in four years or whatever. Karma comes collecting. Same thing with Edmonton Oilers. How many #1 picks do you need?

Raptors: 12-2. Tied for first in the league. It's happening!

Clippers are full of talent but they've yet to prove they can get over the hump of beating elite teams in the playoffs. Of course, it's much tougher to to in the Western conference, but still...

Portland looks good, if they can stay healthy. Cavs are fragile, but I have no pity what with their three #1 picks in four years or whatever. Karma comes collecting. Same thing with Edmonton Oilers. How many #1 picks do you need?

My hats off to your Raptors. Lookin good. But the Clippers will be there at the end

The Lakers season just gets more gruesome. Steve Nash. Julius Randle. Now add Xavier Henry to the list of Lakers lost for the season. Ruptured Achilles tendon. It won't be long before Kobe gets hurt again...just wait and see.

Pitiful times for this long-time Laker fan. :(

Caught some of the Cavs/Wiz game last weekend, gotta say the Wiz have a pretty impressive roster. Very deep, well balanced.

I believe that Toronto is better than the Wizards right now. But the East is so far below the West its just unreal. Chicago at Denver tonight should be an interesting game. The Bulls have their big names back I believe, yet Denver has played very well lately and the line went up to 4. Sacramento is having a good start, and go to New Orleans, a team that beat them in their building last week. I am expecting Sac to come out and play them better this time. I am not sold on New Orleans being a good team. One thing about Durant and Westbrooke being out for OKC that is going to serve them well when they return, those guys got a chance to step up and play without their stars. Its going to make them even more dangerous when they return. I am waiting for Cleveland to find its game. Love and Lebron make them the best in the East on paper. But so far they have not played like it one bit. They have looked just plain awful when I saw them. But the Clippers came out listless and have since regained their form except for that stinker in Memphis. And how bad are the 76ers? Worse than the Lakers I would say. And that is saying something. Maybe the Knicks are the worst, with Carmello out.

Caught some of the Cavs/Wiz game last weekend, gotta say the Wiz have a pretty impressive roster. Very deep, well balanced.

Wow. That's something I never thought I'd hear anyone say (or see anyone write, as the case may be). How the hell are we supposed to get cheap tickets from StubHub now?? :)

After a couple of nice wins against a few of the NBA lightweights, the Heat have to play with the big boys again tonight. I know the Heat have had a few wins against some of the top teams in the East, but I'm not sure if they have yet to beat a Western Conference power....

I say Golden st will have too much for them. And no Wade. Wade to return Sunday vs the NY Dicks

My hats off to your Raptors. Lookin good. But the Clippers will be there at the end

Thanks :) So far so good. It's not just that they're winning, but that they're doing it the right way. Amazing support from the fans, too. We're starving for a team to rally behind. About the Clippers, well what can I say? I guess time will tell. They've got a lot of tough teams to get through, and judging by their game against the Grizz, some teams have a leg up. Still, it's a long season and November games are forgotten in June.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like for the foreseeable future, D-Wade is going to have to carry an undermanned Heat squad. He did a very good job last night--but how long can that last? Heat have dropped to 7th in the standings & I wonder if they will drop even lower as the season grinds on.

And I may have to take back my Lebron smacktalk from earlier in this thread. The Cavs may have figured out whatever problems they had....

I think it's a testament to how deep the Western Conference is, as currently the Spurs are the #7 seed--but I expect San Antonio will be moving up in the standings sooner rather than later--although the Warriors and the Griz may be making the case that the West is theirs for the taking...

Golden st had their long winning streak of 18 games stopped last night as I expected in Memphis,. Its an exhausting effort but give them credit, they almost pulled it off. I still believe the 1970 Lakers 33 wins in a row is a record that will NEVER fall. I cannot see it. No way. Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West were one hell of a duo. One of the greatest guards of all time and maybe the most unstoppable force of all time, Wilt. Its one of the greatest feats in sports history.

• 2 weeks later...

Golden st had their long winning streak of 18 games stopped last night as I expected in Memphis,. Its an exhausting effort but give them credit, they almost pulled it off. I still believe the 1970 Lakers 33 wins in a row is a record that will NEVER fall. I cannot see it. No way. Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West were one hell of a duo. One of the greatest guards of all time and maybe the most unstoppable force of all time, Wilt. Its one of the greatest feats in sports history.

Agreed. One of the greatest feats unlikely to be repeated. But, the greatest feat by any professional U.S. sporting team of course is the 8 NBA titles in a row achieved by The Boston Celtics ... and 11 titles in 13 years. Chamberlain was the greatest one on one force followed by Michael Jordan. Russell was the greatest team player and champion.

Agreed. One of the greatest feats unlikely to be repeated. But, the greatest feat by any professional U.S. sporting team of course is the 8 NBA titles in a row achieved by The Boston Celtics ... and 11 titles in 13 years. Chamberlain was the greatest one on one force followed by Michael Jordan. Russell was the greatest team player and champion.

Yes! Truly one of the greats. Bill Russel has more rings than fingers!

Raps beat the Clips yesterday on their home court. We played very well and are 8-2 against the West so far this year. Still first in the East. Love it... so far so much better than I expected.

Here we go again...how many times do I have to repeat that it was the 1972 Lakers that won 33 games in a row and beat the New York Knicks for their first title in Los Angeles? 1970 was the Laker team that infamously lost the championship to the Knicks in the seventh game when Willis Reed came limping out at the Garden to inspire the Knicks. Gail Goodrich, a vital part of that 1972 team, wasn't even a Laker yet in 1970, he still played for Phoenix.

Such a different league back then...no free agency, the reserve-clause, Red Auerbach could hoard players for years. Chamberlain was a great physical force but he didn't seem to have the heart and grit that Russell had. One of the worst free-throw shooters I have ever seen.