Robert Plant & SSS Glastonbury 2014 BBC 4

JTM

Robert is timed for 1730 - 1845 on the Pyramid Stage (Saturday, U.K. local times) which is before the evening TV coverage starts up. BBC4 has a one hour show listed for 2000 - 2100 which will include this performance but will clearly not be the whole set even if the entire programme is dedicated to it. The Beeb is streaming the main stages live on the internet and if you have something like a Virgin Media TIVO box you'll be able to watch the stream on your telly as it happens and so see the whole thing. I'm going to record the stream and the BBC4 programme as a "belt and braces" tactic as I understand the stream is not quite as good quality as live telly, at least, not on a TIVO box. Looking forward to it!

I thought it was an excellent set, pity though the BBC 4 broadcast cut out The Enchanter.

Yeah, shame it wasn't the whole performance, that's a good backing band he's got there.

just saw part of the set on BBC now. This is my opinion but I just felt it was wrong when he started doing Whole lotta love. I just had an immediate gut reaction. Jimmy is alive and well and passionate about still wanting to go out playing Zep music and here is Robert Plant still able to sing Zep songs and he's choosing some random guitarist for what reason I don't know why and choosing not to perform them with Jimmy. If he wants to do his own music then do it but why sing loads of Zep songs in his without the original member?

I understand now when Jimmy recently said that he doesn't understand why he does Zep music without original members. It just appears to me that Robert doesn't want to play with Jimmy anymore. Why do you think this is?

What the hell has happened to Robert Plant? That was pretty awful....his vocal style doesn't fit this roots music kick he's on at all. You can tell the crowd is bored out of their minds; he then reels them back in with a Zep tune. He HAS to play Zep tunes or he'll have a stale crowd, that's just the reality of his shows these days and has been for a while.

just saw part of the set on BBC now. This is my opinion but I just felt it was wrong when he started doing Whole lotta love. I just had an immediate gut reaction. Jimmy is alive and well and passionate about still wanting to go out playing Zep music and here is Robert Plant still able to sing Zep songs and he's choosing some random guitarist for what reason I don't know why and choosing not to perform them with Jimmy. If he wants to do his own music then do it but why sing loads of Zep songs in his without the original member?

I understand now when Jimmy recently said that he doesn't understand why he does Zep music without original members. It just appears to me that Robert doesn't want to play with Jimmy anymore. Why do you think this is?

Jesus Christ. Believe it or not, there is other musicians in the world that Plant might just want to play with, rather than going out there with Page and doing the same thing for the rest of his life. Playing with different musicians allows him a different take on the Zep material. Plant contributed just as much as the other 3 to the Zep songs so why shouldnt he go out and sing them with the band of his choosing?

What the hell has happened to Robert Plant? That was pretty awful....his vocal style doesn't fit this roots music kick he's on at all. You can tell the crowd is bored out of their minds; he then reels them back in with a Zep tune. He HAS to play Zep tunes or he'll have a stale crowd, that's just the reality of his shows these days and has been for a while.

Don't know what you were watching mate but I loved every minute, so much so I watched it twice, the full live stream on my laptop then the edited BBC 4 later last evening. I have it downloading on my PC from dime....so later on I shall be watching it again. I'll be looking out for all the bored crowd members you mention, I doubt that I'll see any. Imo the SSS are an excellent band of musicians, great players all and I for one can't wait for the new album.

Jesus Christ. Believe it or not, there is other musicians in the world that Plant might just want to play with, rather than going out there with Page and doing the same thing for the rest of his life. Playing with different musicians allows him a different take on the Zep material. Plant contributed just as much as the other 3 to the Zep songs so why shouldnt he go out and sing them with the band of his choosing?

:goodpost:

the thing is that if you actually check the zeppelin material, for the MOST part he's not rearranging it, maybe dropping a part or two or swapping a solo, but it ain't much different so it is a bit of a karaoke version....

babe im gunna leave you: identical structure and everything to zep, same crescendos, etc.

black dog: only totally different song, dropped the riff and made it dominant by those african instruments

what is and what should never be: identical to zeppelin arrangement

going to california: duh, this one isn't changed at all

whole lotta love: the riff is intact, interpolates who do you love or some other blues songs, the drums are a bit different with more emphasis on rolling around the toms as opposed to that classic beat we all know. african instrument on the solos, but structurally it's very very similar to zep, just with a bit of those aftrican instruments

rock n roll: guitars and bass and vox are all the same, drums again rolling around the toms instead of playing the anthemic part we all know and love. again african instrumentation on the solo but not much different.

i mean overall, black dogs the only one with a real overhaul, the rest sure there's a little african violin or whatever that instrument is called, but otherwise the arrangement is intact and they might have dropped a part of what made a song a zep classic. rock n roll is the worst offender for me just because it's a pointless rearrangement, to play it at the same tempo but replace iconic parts with parts that just aren't as cool. I mean, whatever good to see him on the road and good to see him doing stuff, but wanted to set the record straight on how his take on the zep stuff isn't the real rearrangement some make it out to be, it's slightly different but it's zeppelin through and through. kudos to him though for being on the road, it's more than we could say for pagey...

Don't know what you were watching mate but I loved every minute, so much so I watched it twice, the full live stream on my laptop then the edited BBC 4 later last evening. I have it downloading on my PC from dime....so later on I shall be watching it again. I'll be looking out for all the bored crowd members you mention, I doubt that I'll see any. Imo the SSS are an excellent band of musicians, great players all and I for one can't wait for the new album.

Archived