Robert Plant & SSS Glastonbury 2014 BBC 4

JTM

If you go to approx. 3.25 ish on the little Maggie video, can't remember seeing those sorts of gaps for a major festival before ?

yeah i get that, just seems more that people aren't into it. I watched a good chunk of jack white's set and a bit of metallica and people are going NUTS during those, here you can see the guys trying to get the crowd to clap along and do stuff and all those good things but they just seem to not be having it until they kick into something iconically zeppelin like the WLL riff. but then again, that's just an impression from watching a video feed, could have been a totally diff experience for all who were there.

I always like Glastonbury, the festival always seems to have a special magic to it i.m.o. I'd love to go sometime. Great to see Plant there doing what he loves to do, thanks for posting the vids Ady!

Robert and the SSS are doing their thing for whomever may be listening. Crowd numbers don't matter. Is it nice to see a huge

unbroken sea of faces? Yes! But singers sing and players play - and that's what Robert and his Band do.

yeah i get that, just seems more that people aren't into it. I watched a good chunk of jack white's set and a bit of metallica and people are going NUTS during those, here you can see the guys trying to get the crowd to clap along and do stuff and all those good things but they just seem to not be having it until they kick into something iconically zeppelin like the WLL riff. but then again, that's just an impression from watching a video feed, could have been a totally diff experience for all who were there.

We saw the exact same thing, band members urging the crowd on when clearly it really wasn't into what it was hearing.

i do think it was a bit below the belt to start with BIGLY and chuck in a load of Zep numbers, so much for all this moving forward and world travels, always comes back to Zep! why does he rely so much on the past he seems so embarrassed of? A solo career is 30+ years of his own material, why does he never do a new rendition of Other Arms or I'm in the mood or even some of the great songs from mighty rearranger...his 8th solo album? Another tribe or All the Kings horses, 6 songs out of 11 were Zeppelin tunes regardless of their re-imagining and they got the biggest cheers, how does that make RP feel..really?

White was amazing!

Robert can command huge crowds when the music is right, the last few years worth of plant material has been woeful, I think the new album won't shift to many numbers and the UK tour will see a few sparsly filled shows. Which kinda makes me sad, I mean this is Robert plant being blown away by dolly parton ! The penny may drop for Percy pretty soon ;-)

just saw part of the set on BBC now. This is my opinion but I just felt it was wrong when he started doing Whole lotta love. I just had an immediate gut reaction. Jimmy is alive and well and passionate about still wanting to go out playing Zep music and here is Robert Plant still able to sing Zep songs and he's choosing some random guitarist for what reason I don't know why and choosing not to perform them with Jimmy. If he wants to do his own music then do it but why sing loads of Zep songs in his without the original member?

I understand now when Jimmy recently said that he doesn't understand why he does Zep music without original members. It just appears to me that Robert doesn't want to play with Jimmy anymore. Why do you think this is?

Whatever you think of the song choices it is hardly some 'random guitarist'! Robert has played with Justin Adams and Skin Tyson on and off since 2001. Thats longer than Led Zeppelin were in

existence.

yeah but in spite of working on and off with these guys for 10+ years, he's only got 1 album and a second one now coming out under his belt.....

and yeah the point is valid about how he relies on zeppelin considering he has this whole solo career post 1980 and you don't hear ANY of it, maybe a few songs from might rearranger and his new record, but primarily led zeppelin. i mean, the guy just ignores all this material that he's supposedly so proud of, leans on a few of the old war horses, but then talks about moving forward. just confusing in general.

i do think it was a bit below the belt to start with BIGLY and chuck in a load of Zep numbers, so much for all this moving forward and world travels, always comes back to Zep! why does he rely so much on the past he seems so embarrassed of? A solo career is 30+ years of his own material, why does he never do a new rendition of Other Arms or I'm in the mood or even some of the great songs from mighty rearranger...his 8th solo album? Another tribe or All the Kings horses, 6 songs out of 11 were Zeppelin tunes regardless of their re-imagining and they got the biggest cheers, how does that make RP feel..really?

White was amazing!

Plant has said on numerous occasions that hes very proud of his work with Zep. Its quite possible to be proud of something you did 40 years ago, but not want to trudge around the world playing stadiums and singing "juice runs down my leg" at the age of nearly 70, you know. He's just as entitled to play the Zeppelin songs as Jimmy or JPJ. They all contributed equally so why should Plant not play these songs the way he wants to?

I guess what I'm saying is, instead of pouring cold water on the fire, he stokes the coals. I'm sure he is proud as punch but as fans know, when it comes to actually talking about his time in the band, he isn't ever really that positive about it, e.g putting himself down about singing too much and he wished he would of just shut up regarding the recent remasters. I've not heard the other members be so hard on themselves regarding the band

Robert Plant the solo artist? go for it, but be solo, forget the re imagining of Zep tunes, forget the "voice of" label, forget using a 70s picture of yourself, forget using the feather symbol

It's a tricky and divisive subject among fans and I really really respect Plant but he just doesn't do himself any favours man

Watched it and have to agree with the naysayers the main problem for me is the constant mangling of Black Dog

(take the poor animal to the vet and put it out of its misery!) and Justin Adams conviction that he is the natural

replacement for Page oh and his constant idiot dancing! Has a lead guitarist ever looked so uncool?

I have not been an avid follower of Plants solo career so some of this is new to me:

So I am now watching his set ( I recorded it on the night on BBC3 so i am not sure if it's the full set or not): Not surprised at the turn out, it's pissing it down. I have been to this festival and when it rains, many people flock to shows indoors.

BIGLY is not bad at all. Plants vocal style is a bit annoying but the band pull it off well. Things looking promising

Tin Pan Ally: Again not bad at all. Very chilled start, heavy middle bit to end bit.

Black Dog: Not for the purists, I get that. It's only BD in the name but again enjoyable. The band are very tight as is to be expected. Cracking bass line in the instrumental bit. This kind of stuff goes down very well at Glastonbury

Rainbow: I new one on me so - tribal beats and rhythms which is not too disagreeable.

He mentions the 1969 Bath & Blues festival but fails to mention the iconic 1970 show and the time he played with JP. So one could be led to believe it's the first time for him

Going To California: eemmm a copy of how Zeppelin would do it - with a bit extra. - Come on Robert 3 Zepp songs already ( OK one cover) ?

Little Maggie: A funky little ditty with some good beats

Funny In My Mind: Back to a more rocking number. Crowd still looking a bit non plussed. At least the sun is shining allowing for the imbibing of some smoke ? Band are really enjoying themselves - and who was the kid on stage? This is really good. Ahh The Addams family!

Whole Lotta Love: Now the crowd has awoke!! Heavy version too. Excellent roots sounds with Who Do You Love thrown in. Am really enjoying this and so is Plant

Hum Rock and Roll: A cracker to finish. Sounds like the pundits want more

Summing up: I really enjoyed this set. A great mix of world music and rocking tunes. Well done boys. The crowd do not seem displeased and with good reason. Maybe it is irritating the use of Zepp material and the feather motif on the drums, but this is a festival crowd and as such he pulls it off superbly.

Whatever you think of the song choices it is hardly some 'random guitarist'! Robert has played with Justin Adams and Skin Tyson on and off since 2001. Thats longer than Led Zeppelin were in

existence.

I understand and agree with what you're trying to say here, but you could also say he's played with Jimmy Page on and off again since 1968 in the same context. Bottom line is Robert is pretty choosy about who his guitarist(s) is/are. That's going from Robbie Blunt all the way to Buddy Miller.

Let the man play with whomever musically gets him off.

I understand and agree with what you're trying to say here, but you could also say he's played with Jimmy Page on and off again since 1968 in the same context. Bottom line is Robert is pretty choosy about who his guitarist(s) is/are. That's going from Robbie Blunt all the way to Buddy Miller.

Let the man play with whomever musically gets him off.

Exactly my point in my original reply

Thanks for posting the show here, I enjoyed watching, could anyone tell me the difference between what the Band of Joy play and the SSS or the Strange Sensation.?

I haven't understood the difference for some time and unlike others here am not particularly

interested in a Zeppelin reformation its just not very good musically, plus I hate the way he takes

songs I consider perfect and bends them so far out of shape they cease to make sense/exist.

Roberts real problem is his desire to appear relevant and cool musically.He should remember,

nothing dates faster than fashion.

I haven't understood the difference for some time and unlike others here am not particularly

interested in a Zeppelin reformation its just not very good musically, plus I hate the way he takes

songs I consider perfect and bends them so far out of shape they cease to make sense/exist.

Roberts real problem is his desire to appear relevant and cool musically.He should remember,

Ah, I did wonder if the bands served different musical directions, and like you I am not keen on the reformation side of things.

In his quest to remain relevant he's strayed too far from what he does best, ROCK! He's taking this whole hippie thing way too far, the Krauss project was nice and different and was received well as it should have, but he needs to find his way back and put something together that has some balls to it!

yall realize most zep songs he hardly changes arrangements?

What is and what should never be and going to california are identical

Rock N Roll drops the solo and the classic drum riff for crap.

black dog is the only major change

babe im gunna leave you is identical

whole lotta love the riff is intact and sure it interpolates who do you love and cuts the guitar solo, but structurally it's zeppelin....

he's hardly changing the songs, just playing lesser versions of them, taking classic parts and replacing them with nonsense that no one would listen to instead of the original version.

I hear a page/plant unledded vibe, latest bluegrass influences and the space shifter band sound there, with the relative material. After seeing a similar show of Robert Plant's last summer, as with all live music...youtube doesn't capture it. I'm surprised he didn't consider anything from his last two albums with this band, after hearing little maggie, especially. The version of bigly, very similar to page/plant version. Amazing how he can roll out, what is and what should never be, like with page in the 90s and it being such a strong song. He could have tied his whole set together with only 3 zep songs and it would have worked fine.

Archived