Robert's changing of the Zep songs

clw

A comment,do you think the way Robert is changing some of the old music around and then with his new music that if it were for not who he was that he would be very popular?? I don't think so as I still like the songs sang better the old way,mind you I love Robert but prefer the more Rock music. I am sure I will get hell for posting this

Rearranging Zep's music is nothing new and not exclusive to Plant.

No Quarter - Unledded is a case in point where both he and Page "reinvented" the music with different eastern and western musicians.

That project marginalised a lot of Zep "fans". I think the majority liked it, some did not and some were totally indifferent about it.

I do believe however, that with a voice like his he would've made it on his own somehow.

It would only have been a matter of when and with whom, regardless it is a moot point as he is and always will be, associated with Led Zeppelin.

A comment,do you think the way Robert is changing some of the old music around and then with his new music that if it were for not who he was that he would be very popular?? I don't think so as I still like the songs sang better the old way,mind you I love Robert but prefer the more Rock music. I am sure I will get hell for posting this

Watch his Glastonbury Festival set

It's niche/genre music. Were he not a surviving member of Led Zeppelin my guess is he'd be as famous as the other members of the band onstage with him (not very), and it's a safe bet they'd be drawing audiences about half the size.

I did watch that set,as you can hear the crowd cheers the most for the Led Zeppelin songs...You are right Steve,I think there would be half the crowd

Robert Plant owes his lingering popularity to having originally been given a job by Jimmy Page. He became a great frontman for Led Zeppelin, probably one of the best ever. Not so much now.

Robert's new alternative versions are shite...

I keep telling myself I really like them but deep down I really dont , I like them just because it is Robert

The originals are masterpieces, and can never be bettered.

I did genuinely love the No Quarter Unledded stuff, though.

I haven't been a fan of his solo career at all, just not my thing, but good luck to him, he has done what he enjoys.

Without Zeppelin he would be no where near as popular doing the kind of music he has chosen post Zep, but he would have still been a great, great singer.

I think with this kind of voice and songwriting ability, Plant would be more famous then the guys in Space shifters! I think there is a big posibility, he would still find a really good band in the sixties and most of the time Plant wrote the vocal melody and lyrics in Zep, so maybe he could even work in a singer songwriter format really well!

As far as changing music, that's the point!!!

It's niche/genre music. Were he not a surviving member of Led Zeppelin my guess is he'd be as famous as the other members of the band onstage with him (not very), and it's a safe bet they'd be drawing audiences about half the size.

There is a flip side to that though ... Because Robert Plant is involved, he is exposing a lot of people to some pretty cool music that they normally wouldn't look into..

Think of the many people that will listen to and attend JPJ's upcoming Opera because of the Composer...

... as far as Robert messing with the Zeppelin classics... I don't care for it in most cases.. Black Dog in particular sounds very odd..

There is a flip side to that though ... Because Robert Plant is involved, he is exposing a lot of people to some pretty cool music that they normally wouldn't look into..

Yes, absolutely! It was through Robert I became interested in the recorded works of Alison Krauss, Buddy Miller, and Justin Adams, among others.

Good juicy topic clw! Agree that a large proportion of his audience are there because of LZ. I wouldn't usually pay to hear the kind of music Robert & his current band do. I went to hear - and loved - 'that' extraordinary voice in 2013.

But, honestly, there was a sameness to many of the LZ covers and I wondered how he could dilute the brilliant musicality and light & shade of LZ music so far as to be, at times, unrecognisable.

I thought he was brilliant at the O2 - some of his versions in a lower register were better than the original - some even more powerful as a result. Maybe he fears the comparisons of his voice with the originals & so takes his covers to a place so far away as to make it impossible. And I know he likes to keep things fresh for himself by trying different things. Pity there isn't a middle ground though. I came away from his show thrilled to have seen & heard him but with a strong urge to give the old lion a poke to see if he would still roar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a matter of taste but for the first time in a very,very long time Mr. Plant has lost me. I don't hear how this slightly modified version of the 'other' SS band moves things along musically. Both guitarist are a complete bore to me and the absence of Mr. Deamer is audibly self-evident :)

Just a matter of taste but for the first time in a very,very long time Mr. Plant has lost me. I don't hear how this slightly modified version of the 'other' SS band moves things along musically. Both guitarist are a complete bore to me and the absence of Mr. Deamer is audibly self-evident :)

Does anyone know why he changed bands in the first place?

I pretty much agree with you, clw.

I'm sorry but I gotta sign the petition, for Plant to stop playing black dog... haha. Since the Alison days, I just don't think it works. I'm surprised he wouldn't switch black dog out for a new version of one of his own songs...from liars dance or great spirit, to...last time I saw her or promised land. Anything.

With Alison I thought battle of evermore and levee were great. With Patty I thought houses of the holy and over the hills and everything else was great...refreshing, interesting.

I'm sorry but I gotta sign the petition, for Plant to stop playing black dog... haha. Since the Alison days, I just don't think it works. I'm surprised he wouldn't switch black dog out for a new version of one of his own songs...from liars dance or great spirit, to...last time I saw her or promised land. Anything.

With Alison I thought battle of evermore and levee were great. With Patty I thought houses of the holy and over the hills and everything else was great...refreshing, interesting.

Oh I dont like it when he does Black Dog either,the only one I like actually is Babe....

I think when he does Friends it suits SSS as well as Babe. I caught Strange Sensation a few times and they were great. I didn't much care for the Krauss and BOJ stuff but i caught SSS on the last tour again.

I said it before and I'll say it agan, there are quite a few Plant songs I'd rather hear them rework before some of the Zeppelin ones he does.

• 8 months later...

I think when he does Friends it suits SSS as well as Babe. I caught Strange Sensation a few times and they were great. I didn't much care for the Krauss and BOJ stuff but i caught SSS on the last tour again.

I said it before and I'll say it agan, there are quite a few Plant songs I'd rather hear them rework before some of the Zeppelin ones he does.

Agreed. If I want Zeppelin tunes then I want to hear them done by, well, Zeppelin. If I go see Plant then I want to hear Plant tunes. Saw Plant in '88 and '90 and loved all the performances of his solo tunes but was left cold by the Zeppelin tunes. A lot of the other folk in the concert cheered much more loudly for the Zep tunes, but I remember standing there thinking 'This is not led zeppelin. That ain't Jimmy on the guitar or Bonzo on the drums. The magic is not there.'

I only prefer the "Led Zeppelin" versions of LZ songs. Heck, even Page & Plant was mostly a snorefest to me.

Robert can sing them any way he wants. But I'm only going for the "LZ" versions.

I prefer "solo" Robert Plant music, to 'Solo RP' versions of LZ songs.

I will say this, at least Robert does not go in the bizarre and freakish direction David Lee Roth is going with the Van Halen songs --- while he is still in Van Halen!!!

Archived