2014-15 NHL Season

LedZeppfan77

Every year, man. Every. Damn. Year. :heartbreaker:

Care to explain? I'm in the dark.

Damn, Rick...that is some blizzard you got in Buffalo! Nobody could get to the Sabres-Sharks game. Hardly any fans in the stands and the guy who was supposed to sing the anthems couldn't make it, haha. Then the Sabres end up beating the Sharks handily...don't they know they are supposed to lose?

And that poor girls' basketball team stuck in the Buffalo blizzard...

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/college/2014/11/18/niagara-bus-trapped-snowstorm/19238301/

Damn, Rick...that is some blizzard you got in Buffalo! Nobody could get to the Sabres-Sharks game. Hardly any fans in the stands and the guy who was supposed to sing the anthems couldn't make it, haha. Then the Sabres end up beating the Sharks handily...don't they know they are supposed to lose?

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/college/2014/11/18/niagara-bus-trapped-snowstorm/19238301/

The short, general version: I'm a Leafs fan.

The longer, more detailed explanation: With new brass and key players coming in, it was to be an upswing season. We've had some success after a bumpy start, like the drubbing of the Bruins (always delicious).

Not that I plan a parade after every win, or expect a win for every game, but the way we lost the last two games -- 6-2 to Buffalo, a team that is trying to lose to secure the #1 pick and draft phenom Connor McDavid, and 9-2 to the Preds, a team clearly trying to win -- is embarrassing. Again. A loss is one thing, but when a GM publicly announces that he just wants to see the team compete hard, win or lose, there's a huge disconnect. During the game in Buffalo, Leafs fans started chanting, "Let's go, Raptors!" and then the chant broke out again during the home game vs. the Preds. Oh, and fans were throwing their jerseys onto the ice. Yikes.

We had Tim Leiweke (formerly of AEG) come in and completely change the culture of the Raptors from top to bottom. Result: 9-2 on the season, first in the East. Leiweke is a circus ringleader, blunt, passionate, makes huge promises, but then delivers. He helped bring the Stanley Cup to LA. With that pedigree, he told MLSE that they're nowhere near as great as they think they are, and neither are the Leafs. Basically he refused to kneel before the golden cows, and they showed him the door. He's here until a replacement is found or June, 2015, whichever comes first.

It's great that TL at least brought in Shanahan to oversee the Leafs, but Nonis and Carlyle were inherited, and so the team is once again in a weird holding pattern filled with players and personnel from two different reigns, and under conflicting directions. MLSE hears the boos, but the coffers are full; people still keep coming to games at top market prices.

For decades, fans endured the abysmal Harold Ballard, then the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan, now competitors Bell/Rogers (with Tanenbaum as minority owner). Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. Fans support the team through thick and thin and owners have leaned heavily on such loyalty to the team's detriment.

I've been a fan for over 30 years. When you see the familiar signs year after year, you know what coming - more of the heartbreaking same. I wish we had a passionate owner like crazy Mark Cuban or Steve Ballmer, guys who actually care about the fate of the teams they own beyond the dollars and cents.

May the ghost of Conn Smythe haunt Bell/Rogers/Tanenbaum until the right ownership comes along and builds my beloved team the right way for the right reasons.

The Sabres have beaten the Sharks 8 in a row. Their all time record against them is lopsided. They have their number. And yes, they had best lose and stay behind Carolina. The only true threat in my opinion to last place. Edmonton also I guess. I still think the Sabres will finish last. Now the starting goalie is injured. They were given the Sharks and Leafs on the schedule. The Leafs are a mess as the article headline read on CBS. Nashville put up a 9 spot on them. I wonder if they have quit on Carlisle to get the poor bastard fired?

Blue Shirts can't take anyone lightly. The looked good Wednesday vs Philly, but Tampa destroyed them.....BTW.. how about them Bolts!

Until last night how about them Bolts. They lose in Toronto, a disgraceful effort. Against a team my expansion Sabres beat 6-2 and Nashville beat 9-1 the other night. Tonights Rangers at Sabres game will not be played. Postponed. No surprise as the Bills were shipped off to Motown

^^^

Damn Kings lose another close one.

The short, general version: I'm a Leafs fan.

The longer, more detailed explanation: With new brass and key players coming in, it was to be an upswing season. We've had some success after a bumpy start, like the drubbing of the Bruins (always delicious).

Not that I plan a parade after every win, or expect a win for every game, but the way we lost the last two games -- 6-2 to Buffalo, a team that is trying to lose to secure the #1 pick and draft phenom Connor McDavid, and 9-2 to the Preds, a team clearly trying to win -- is embarrassing. Again. A loss is one thing, but when a GM publicly announces that he just wants to see the team compete hard, win or lose, there's a huge disconnect. During the game in Buffalo, Leafs fans started chanting, "Let's go, Raptors!" and then the chant broke out again during the home game vs. the Preds. Oh, and fans were throwing their jerseys onto the ice. Yikes.

We had Tim Leiweke (formerly of AEG) come in and completely change the culture of the Raptors from top to bottom. Result: 9-2 on the season, first in the East. Leiweke is a circus ringleader, blunt, passionate, makes huge promises, but then delivers. He helped bring the Stanley Cup to LA. With that pedigree, he told MLSE that they're nowhere near as great as they think they are, and neither are the Leafs. Basically he refused to kneel before the golden cows, and they showed him the door. He's here until a replacement is found or June, 2015, whichever comes first.

It's great that TL at least brought in Shanahan to oversee the Leafs, but Nonis and Carlyle were inherited, and so the team is once again in a weird holding pattern filled with players and personnel from two different reigns, and under conflicting directions. MLSE hears the boos, but the coffers are full; people still keep coming to games at top market prices.

For decades, fans endured the abysmal Harold Ballard, then the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan, now competitors Bell/Rogers (with Tanenbaum as minority owner). Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. Fans support the team through thick and thin and owners have leaned heavily on such loyalty to the team's detriment.

I've been a fan for over 30 years. When you see the familiar signs year after year, you know what coming - more of the heartbreaking same. I wish we had a passionate owner like crazy Mark Cuban or Steve Ballmer, guys who actually care about the fate of the teams they own beyond the dollars and cents.

May the ghost of Conn Smythe haunt Bell/Rogers/Tanenbaum until the right ownership comes along and builds my beloved team the right way for the right reasons.

Yep. That explains it. I didn't know you were a Leafs fan.

How in the dickens do the Leafs get whacked 6-2 to my Sabres and then get pummeled 9-1 by Nashville and then they turn around and beat Tampa and Detroit? I cannot figure that team out. I know that Ted Nolan best stop this damn winning streak of ours. Sabres have won 3 in a row. And caught Edmonton and Columbus and are on the heels of teams like Carolina. We must finish LAST. What are you doing Ted?> We need to get McDavid or Eichel. We traded the damn fort. We threw the baby out with the bath water. Wake up!!!!!! :wakeup:

Rangers vs Habs on the NHL Channel.

Blue Shirts up 1-0

I cannot figure either of these teams out. A week ago the media was ready to hand Montreal the East. Now they have not scored a goal in 6 periods. The Rangers are up and down also. Got blanked the other night. Now they are winning. But is it because Montreal is having problems? I have to see them beat a team like Tampa or a Western team that is good. To know they are in the same class they were last year. I just want the Sabres to stop winning. I want last place.

Much respect for Pat Quinn. Rest in Peace.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11930311/nhl-reaction-pat-quinn-death

The L.A. Kings (Quinn coached the Kings in the mid-80s) put out an official statement...from the Kings website:

The Los Angeles Kings today released the following comments regarding the passing of long-time player, coach, executive and Hockey Hall of Fame chairman Pat Quinn.

Quinn coached the Kings during the 1984-85 season, the 1985-86 season, and part of the 1986-87 season:

Luc Robitaille:

He was a great man for the game of hockey and a person who commanded a lot of respect. He was my first NHL coach and he made quite an impression on me as I was breaking into the league and learning the game. He also is the person who called me when I got the news I was being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Needless to say that will always be a special moment I will cherish, and receiving that news was an even greater honor coming from Pat.

Jim Fox:

Respect is the first word that comes to mind when I think about Pat. He had an extremely powerful persona and he commanded respect just by the way he carried himself. At the same time, he brought a calmness and when appropriate, a very sensitive side too. He knew when to be firm but he could also share a laugh with his players. I believe his biggest strength as a coach was his ability to find the strengths in his players as individuals and then mold that into a solid group who were striving for the same goals. He was a very effective teacher through a clear and direct manner of getting his point across. There was never a question of how much he cared for his players and his team and I will always remember Pat for the respect he showed his players. The hockey community will miss Pat and all that he brought to our game.

Bob Miller:

I am very sorry to hear the news of Pat’s passing, though we knew he was quite ill. Pat always had a big presence about him. He coached some great Kings players and was always very well respected by those in our organization and around the NHL. He was also a coach I think players certainly respected but maybe they were a little afraid of him as well due to his size. You didn’t want the wrath of Pat Quinn but, overall, what a great hockey career as a player, coach, GM and then as chairman of the HHOF. As the coach of the Kings he was really great to get along with from a media standpoint and very cooperative. He always took the time to breakdown the game for our fans. He had a lot of interests beyond hockey but hockey was his passion.

RIP, Jean Beliveau :tears:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jean-beliveau--montreal-canadiens-legend--dead-at-83-052023956.html

Jean Beliveau, Montreal Canadiens legend, dead at 83

By Sean Leahy | Puck Daddy – 22 minutes ago

c243ea50-7aa9-11e4-9adc-1bc09fea0ac8_104

Getty Images - Getty Images

Hockey legend Jean Beliveau has passed away at the age of 83.

“The Montreal Canadiens organization is extremely moved by Mr. Beliveau’s passing away. Like millions of hockey fans who followed the life and the career of Jean Beliveau, the Canadiens today mourn the passing of a man whose contribution to the development of our sport and our society was unmeasurable. Jean Beliveau was a great leader, a gentleman and arguably the greatest ambassador our game has ever known," said Canadiens president Geoff Molson in a statement.

“Jean Beliveau was part of the Canadiens family for over six decades. The Canadiens organization will bring all the needed support to the members of Jean Beliveau’s family, and will work closely with them to organize the ceremonies that will take place in the coming days. On behalf of the Molson family, and all members of the Canadiens organization, I would like to extend my deepest condolences to his beloved wife Elise, his daughter Helene and granddaughters Magalie and Mylene."

The man known as “Le Gros Bill” suited up for 1,125 NHL games, scored 507 goals and recorded 1,219 points. He won the Hart Trophy twice, Art Ross once and was named to 14 All-Star Games. In 1965, he was the inaugural winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy.

When we talk about strong Hockey Hall of Fame classes these days it's tough to compare them to the group that was inducted in 1972. One year after he retired, Beliveau went in with a class that included hockey greats Gordie Howe and Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion.

A star with the Quebec Aces early in his career, Beliveau showed little interest in joining the Canadiens, the NHL team that owned his rights. That’s when Montreal ownership decided to buy the QMHL, where the Aces played, forcing him to sign what would end up being a five year contract worth over $100,000.

"All I did was open up the Forum vault and say: 'Help yourself, Jean,'" said then-Canadiens GM Frank Selke.

It proved to be a wise move as Beliveau would help the Canadiens win 10 Stanley Cups, cementing his place as not only a hockey legend, but an icon in Montreal.

Wow. I saw him play many times when I started to watch hockey in the late 60's. They will never have teams that dominated like that again. Him and Cornier, Lapperierre, Savard, Lamaire and those that came before Lefluer. Great teams. Great player was Jean.

Archived