Led Zepppelin DVD

riffsofpage

Don't get me wrong, I love (LOVE) Pontiac '77, and I long for the day to finally lay my anxious eyes on that glorious footage, but as far as an official release of any kind, I just don't see it happening. Maybe we'll get lucky someday and Empress Valley will come out with a DVD of it. Maybe we'll get really lucky and low-gen, non-bootleg tapes will be circulated and transferred to DVD for all to enjoy. But otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

You don't think the L'Olympia release changed his philosophy?

Not in the long run. I see it as Jimmy judging it on a case-by-case basis. Not all shows and tapes are created equal.

So far as I know, the only non-multitrack live recordings that Jimmy has sanctioned for release have been from radio and/or TV broadcasts: The BBC Sessions, the Danish and French TV gigs on the DVD, and the 1969 Paris L'Olympia show. Because the band was so en fuego back then, whatever flaws there are in the performance and/or sound quality of the tape are masked by the overall passion, energy and total whoooosh of sound Led Zeppelin put out.

That is a far cry from the mistakes evident on 1977 soundboards, which makes Jimmy ever sanctioning a 1977 Pontiac or Seattle official release very unlikely.

Can we just put to rest that "Houston was filmed?" It wasn't.

I don't know man, after doing some research and watching The Who and Kiss' footage from the Summit, I think its a possibility it does exist. I posted the footage in this thread for anyone who wants to continue the debate.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/10547-houston-52177/page-7#entry766105

Not in the long run. I see it as Jimmy judging it on a case-by-case basis. Not all shows and tapes are created equal.

So far as I know, the only non-multitrack live recordings that Jimmy has sanctioned for release have been from radio and/or TV broadcasts: The BBC Sessions, the Danish and French TV gigs on the DVD, and the 1969 Paris L'Olympia show. Because the band was so en fuego back then, whatever flaws there are in the performance and/or sound quality of the tape are masked by the overall passion, energy and total whoooosh of sound Led Zeppelin put out.

That is a far cry from the mistakes evident on 1977 soundboards, which makes Jimmy ever sanctioning a 1977 Pontiac or Seattle official release very unlikely.

Is there a bootleg DVD of the Pontiac show? I've not seen this...

When I saw this release that's when it dawned on me that they must play very good live. Never really before this release saw any other Zeppelin related live shows apart from Madison Square Garden '73, so I owe it to this DVD for my expansion into other shows.

The Pontiac show is not circulating on video, despite all of its rumors of 8mm film and pro shot video (even though it was definitely filmed).

True. But that doesn't mean there isn't videotape of it deep in the Zeppelin Vault under the Giant's Causeway.

• 1 month later...

This DVD changed my musical life....i had only The Song Remains The Same as a young 12 year old who'd been obsessed with The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Who before Zeppelin....but when i got to my birthday turning 13 my Dad got me into the car and said "i need to show you something". and he took me to our local independent shop, Music To The Maxx, and pointed at two pieces of Led Zeppelin : the How The West Was Won DVD (i was blown over by the majesty of a ballsy band putting out a 3 disc album) , and the thick digipak desert tinged Zeppelin DVD next to it. I looked at my Dad and told him i hadnt heard too many Zeppelin songs. and My Dad, who'd seen Zeppelin at the Salt Palace 1970, and Salt Palace 1973, said once I did I wouldnt look back. we spent the rest of the night eating pizza and blasting the DVD on our DTS surround (the best at the time hahah) and he told me old stories from the shows he saw, saying what it was REALLY like to see John Bonham playing.....i never looked back from that point. I had Zeppelin I before this...but after I got Zeppelin II, Zeppelin III, Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti in quick succession before finishing off my collection with HOH, ITTOD and Presence, followed by becoming the craziest 13-15 year old bootleg archivist. to this day i still have them all on my shelf and listen to them often. I would make my own covers, my own tracklistings, even got to the point where i had them chronologically ordered. I didnt have every show, but I had many, and that was all from the seeds that the Zeppelin DVD had planted. It Just shook me...alllll niiiight looooong.

showing my dad the 1973 Salt Palace boot blew his mind...he thought the only memories he'd ever hold on to from the show were up inside his head...and to think he had no knowledge of this very well received bootleg , it made him remember things he didnt before....it was quite the moment

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned,but any idea what the below title might entail? Same old footage just cleaned up?

The Film Archive (1969 - 1980) Approx. 377 mins on 1 High Def Blu Ray-R - Prime Vision Label

It is entirely ripped from the official LZ youtube page.

• 2 months later...

I love Zeppelin's early 70's era. Absolutely adore it. You can really see the connection between themselves and their audience in RAH. The energy, the freshness, the character. I've always been wanting to find a good quality video of them playing live 1971 or early 72'.

I love Zeppelin's early 70's era. Absolutely adore it. You can really see the connection between themselves and their audience in RAH. The energy, the freshness, the character. I've always been wanting to find a good quality video of them playing live 1971 or early 72'.

You and everyone else. :console:

You and everyone else. :console:

:yesnod:

Archived