Year By Year - 1968

lipslikecherries

Tricky Dick Nixon steals the White House after the assasination of RFK. That is what I remember the most.

With a "secret plan" to end the war in Viet Nam, that turned out to mean invading Cambodia and Laos!

1968? Jimi's Electric Ladyland of course!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8a8cutYP7fovgz_MJLF1vNnK5yOu9EWN

Or what about Cream's Wheels of Fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkae0-TgrRU&list=PLC7A11A28D5BACA6C

Yes it was! I listened to Vincebus Eruptum last night. A good one! I also just finished listening to your This Was recommendation. It's a good album, I liked all the bluesy numbers. :) Thank you Ady!

No worries! Great thread(s)! Good idea to go through it year by year. Late sixties/early seventies hard rock is a major passion of mine. I love discovering obscurities from that era, so much good stuff!

'68 tidbits:

Jan 4th - Leo Fender sells Fender Guitars for $13 million

Jan 6th - Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour," album goes #1 & stays #1 for 8 weeks

Jan 7th - 1st class postage raised from 5 cents to 6 cents

Jan 12th - Beatles Film Production Ltd changes name to Apple Film Production Ltd

Jan 21st - Vietnam War: Battle of Khe Sanh - One of the most publicized and controversial battles of the war begins.

Feb 10th - "Spooky" by Classics IV hits #3

Feb 16th - Elvis Presley receives gold record for "How Great Thou Art"

Feb 16th - Beatles George Harrison & John Lennon & wives fly to India for transcendental meditation study with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Feb 18th - David Gilmour joins rock group Pink Floyd

Feb 22nd - Rock group Genesis release their 1st record "Silent Sun"

Feb 29th - Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" wins Grammy

Mar 8th - Fillmore East opens

Mar 11th - Otis Redding posthumously receives gold record for " Dock of the Bay"

Mar 13th - Beatles release "Lady Madonna" in the UK

Mar 31st - LBJ announces he will not seek re-election

Apr 8th - Baseball's Opening Day is postponed because of Martin Luther King's assassination

May 10th - Vietnam peace talks began in Paris between the US & North Vietnam

May 11th - Richard Harris releases "MacArthur Park"

May 14th - Beatles announce formation of Apple Corp

May 15th - Paul McCartney & John Lennon appear on Johnny Carson Show to promote Apple records, Joe Garagiola is substitute host

May 24th - Mick Jagger & Marianne Faithfull arrested for drug possession

May 25th - Rolling Stones release "Jumping Jack Flash"

May 30th - Beatles begin work on their only double album "Beatles"

Jun 1st - Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs Robinson" hits #1

• 2 weeks later...

The first things that come to my mind when thinking of '68 (aside from Zep's formation) are the RFK and MLK assassinations, the Tet offensive, the chaos at the Democratic convention, and Nixon's narrowly won election to the White House. (imagine if RFK had won?).

The first things that come to my mind when thinking of '68 (aside from Zep's formation) are the RFK and MLK assassinations, the Tet offensive, the chaos at the Democratic convention, and Nixon's narrowly won election to the White House. (imagine if RFK had won?).

Thank you Pagefan55. Yes of course, Led Zeppelin!

http://youtu.be/MHyqOaA8wFE

http://youtu.be/5drZ1jWdRNg

Riots broke out in several American cities (including my hometown) following MLK's assassination. I remember watching his funeral on television with my mother. A young man who lived up the street from me was drafted and sent to Vietnam in 1968. Among the songs I remember hearing on the radio that year:

Stoned Soul Picnic by the Fifth Dimension

Tighten Up by Archie Bell & the Drells

Mrs. Robinson by Simon & Garfunkel

Hush by Deep Purple

Think by Aretha Franklin

Stay in My Corner by the Dells

La-la Means I Love You by the Delfonics

• 4 weeks later...

Archived