Anyone else find tarot cards fascinating?

Ever since learning of Jimmy Page's love for the tarot (the Hermit via the inside gatefold of Led Zeppelin IV and his fantasy sequence in The Song Remains The Same), I've been intrigued by the symbolism and beautiful art found on many tarot decks.

I currently own three different Rider-Waite decks as well as a Steampunk deck that is gorgeously illustrated. Anyone else have a fondness for tarot cards?

Ever since learning of Jimmy Page's love for the tarot (the Hermit via the inside gatefold of Led Zeppelin IV and his fantasy sequence in The Song Remains The Same), I've been intrigued by the symbolism and beautiful art found on many tarot decks.

I currently own three different Rider-Waite decks as well as a Steampunk deck that is gorgeously illustrated. Anyone else have a fondness for tarot cards?

I just bought my first set of Rider-Waite tarot cards for exactly the same reason. I also got a book so I could learn their meaning. It's slightly more complicated that I thought, so I'm still in the learning process. How about you? Can you tell me more about your Steampunk deck? I'd love to see a few pictures.

I just bought my first set of Rider-Waite tarot cards for exactly the same reason. I also got a book so I could learn their meaning. It's slightly more complicated that I thought, so I'm still in the learning process. How about you? Can you tell me more about your Steampunk deck? I'd love to see a few pictures.

I'm still a newbie to learning all the cards myself. It's a slow work in progress but a fun one. I started by focusing on The Fool card (the one labeled 0 but typically first in the deck) and looking up all I could about it - the symbolisms etc. Once I get a grasp on that one, I plan on moving to the next card. Some of my favorite cards include the Hermit (Jimmy) :), the World card, The Fool, The Lovers, Judgement, and that's just focusing on the Major Arcana cards.

I first seen the Steampunk deck by way of a site called "Aeclectic Tarot". They have a link on their homepage that showcases hundreds of different tarot decks.

Edited by The Love That I Found

Tarot is like voodo. Not really facinating as much as it is evil in my opinion.

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I find Tarot interesting, but I do not believe in it or that it has any real power. I don't fear things that are non-existent or have no real power.

I'm still a newbie to learning all the cards myself. It's a slow work in progress but a fun one. I started by focusing on The Fool card (the one labeled 0 but typically first in the deck) and looking up all I could about it - the symbolisms etc. Once I get a grasp on that one, I plan on moving to the next card. Some of my favorite cards include the Hermit (Jimmy) :), the World card, The Fool, The Lovers, Judgement, and that's just focusing on the Major Arcana cards.

I first seen the Steampunk deck by way of a site called "Aeclectic Tarot". They have a link on their homepage that showcases hundreds of different tarot decks.

Thanks for the info! I was surprised how many symbolistic meanings each card has. The artwork is really, really interesting. Kind of a combination of natural beauty and mythology.

First of all, there is no voodoo stuff on tarot cards (voodoo is a Haitian religion, which has absolutely nothing to do with tarot cards).

The Major arcana contain pictures with allegorical depictions of a person's psyche, the good the bad and the beautugliful sides of it.

The goathead demon picture (major arcana card 15) symbolizes someone being bound to indulgence preventing a person from growing or becoming healthy—an example might be alcoholism or materialism. On the other hand, however, it can be interpreted as being too calculated, restrained and/or dispassionate and never allowing a rash, wild or ambitious moment.

Before the cards were ever used for divinatin (before the 17th century) the cards were simply used for gaming and gambling. There may have been allegorical and cultural significance attached to them, but beyond that they originally had little mystical or magical import.

Just because you have no clue about what these cards mean/meant does not make them "evil".

Is a Dio record "evil" because the depiction of a devil on the sleeve?

Is Led Zep 4 "evil"?

I'm interested in learning more about tarot so maybe I should get a book to read. What's the title, if you don't mind? Would you recommend it?

I'm interested in learning more about tarot so maybe I should get a book to read. What's the title, if you don't mind? Would you recommend it?

I have two books -

Learning the tarot by Joan Bunning. This is supposed to be an "easy to learn" guide to the Tarot. You start out learning the Major Arcana, but that seems to be how many books are organized. The book is all black and white, so it's not the prettiest book compared to others.

And

The Ultimate Guide to the Rider Waite Tarot by Johannes Fiebig and Evelin Burger. I found this book much more useful, especially since I wanted to start out with the Raider Waite cards. Each card has about two pages of information, which is summarized into mini paragraphs, such as "Basic Meaning", and the "10 Most Important Symbols", which refer to the meaning of individual aspects of the card (such as the background color or each of the things depicted on the card). I like this one the best.

They are both available on Amazon.

If you find any books that you really like, I'd love to hear about them :)

I have two books -

Learning the tarot by Joan Bunning. This is supposed to be an "easy to learn" guide to the Tarot. You start out learning the Major Arcana, but that seems to be how many books are organized. The book is all black and white, so it's not the prettiest book compared to others.

And

The Ultimate Guide to the Rider Waite Tarot by Johannes Fiebig and Evelin Burger. I found this book much more useful, especially since I wanted to start out with the Raider Waite cards. Each card has about two pages of information, which is summarized into mini paragraphs, such as "Basic Meaning", and the "10 Most Important Symbols", which refer to the meaning of individual aspects of the card (such as the background color or each of the things depicted on the card). I like this one the best.

They are both available on Amazon.

If you find any books that you really like, I'd love to hear about them :)

Thank you for the info, I'll look them up and see for myself. I too like the sound of the second one more.

If I come across one that's particularly good or interesting, I'll post here and let you know.

First of all, there is no voodoo stuff on tarot cards (voodoo is a Haitian religion, which has absolutely nothing to do with tarot cards).

The Major arcana contain pictures with allegorical depictions of a person's psyche, the good the bad and the beautugliful sides of it.

The goathead demon picture (major arcana card 15) symbolizes someone being bound to indulgence preventing a person from growing or becoming healthy—an example might be alcoholism or materialism. On the other hand, however, it can be interpreted as being too calculated, restrained and/or dispassionate and never allowing a rash, wild or ambitious moment.

Before the cards were ever used for divinatin (before the 17th century) the cards were simply used for gaming and gambling. There may have been allegorical and cultural significance attached to them, but beyond that they originally had little mystical or magical import.

Just because you have no clue about what these cards mean/meant does not make them "evil".

Is a Dio record "evil" because the depiction of a devil on the sleeve?

Is Led Zep 4 "evil"?

In my "opinion" they are evil because of what people use them for. I was asked my opinion, so I gave it, and why I stay away from things like that.

In my "opinion" they are evil because of what people use them for. I was asked my opinion, so I gave it, and why I stay away from things like that.

Of course you are right in your regarded opinion.

Tarot cards are designed with the sole purpose to murder, curse, torment and suppress people. Very unlike for instance weapons, which were designed with the purpose to protect human and animal lives.

Lol.

Cthulhu bless you!

Edited by reswati

I believe they are used for fortune-telling. It may not be scientific, but it appears to be harmless.

Tarot cards is on my list along with christ, flying saucers and ghosts.

I find Tarot cards to be visually intriguing and would like to have some. I believe Carl Jung and others thought they had significant symbolic meanings. Just because something isn't scientific doesn't mean it doesn't have some type of value. I don't believe in fortune telling through reading cards, as they are standardized and people are individuals, but the cultural/artistic history of Tarot cards does intrigue me.

I find Tarot cards to be visually intriguing and would like to have some. I believe Carl Jung and others thought they had significant symbolic meanings. Just because something isn't scientific doesn't mean it doesn't have some type of value. I don't believe in fortune telling through reading cards, as they are standardized and people are individuals, but the cultural/artistic history of Tarot cards does intrigue me.

I completely agree. I'm by no means overly superstitious, but I do have an interesting story to share: When I was 18, I received my first and only Tarot card reading from a female fortune teller. She lay down my cards, looked very concerned, and then said something to me along the lines of, "You will soon suffer a very close call. Luckily, your guardian angel/the spirits will be watching closely over you and you won't be harmed." Then one morning, about 6 weeks later, I was driving down a rain-slicked highway at about 50 mph when my car spun-out, crossed the other lane, rolled over twice, and slammed upside down into a tree, nearly totaling the car. I wasn't wearing a seat belt, but walked away without a scratch. (I'm now in my 40's, and this incident is easily the closest I've ever come to being seriously injured.) Today, I tend to believe that the proximity of my Tarot reading and my car accident was just a bizarre coincidence...probably...

Edited by Pagefan55

I have had my "life" read by a so called white witch, she told me many things about my life, and she never even asked me a question. Now trust me I am a strict NON BELIEVER in things I can't see. This woman completely changed my opinion on things I do not understand. She did not charge me any money, no favours, she just thought that I was an intriguing person........No bullshit here, she really did tell me things about my life. All this was over 25 years ago. It was actually a bit scary for me.

• 6 years later...

Hi there, awesome topic. Pretty much life time Zeppelin fan, tarot reader of four years. 

I've always loved tarot and the connection it has to the band, and this past year I've really really did some deep dives into it. Like there's this birthday book I've been using (I'll try to link it or the website that goes with it) that uses your numerology to tell you what major arcana card goes with your specific birthday, and one of my first projects (after doing myself and doing those closest to me) was finding out the cards that go with Led Zep. Here they are if you guys are interested: 

Robert Plant: Date of the Satisfied Cryptic Secret. Tarot card: Judgement

Jimmy Page: Date of the Studied Ambition. Tarot card: The Hermit (you could've guessed) 

John Paul Jones: Date of the Enhanced Total Involvement. Tarot card: The Empress

John Bonham: Date of the Grateful Cutting Edge. Tarot card: The Emperor

You wouldn't think that things like this had much play in your actual life, but you'd be surprised. I have been so shocked at how accurate what this book/website has said about my life as a whole, and it's interesting to see this group's dates and cards. Page was obviously hip to it, considering The Hermit is on so much stuff. Each zodiac sign has a major arcana card as well, and when you pair your two cards together and really deep dive on their meaning, it's absolutely incredible. Just some really neat stuff I thought you guys might enjoy checking out! 

Here's where you can buy the birthday book: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Language-Birthdays-Complete-Personology/dp/0525426884/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+secret+language+of+birthdays&qid=1618428865&s=books&sr=1-1

If you don't want to buy the book, they've got a free online version. You just key in your birthdate and it pulls up all this information. The link to that is here: https://sln.me/app/

I know I'm quite a few years late to this forum post, but if anyone else is reading and feels the call of the tarot, happy reading! Be respectful, and you'll go far. Best of luck to all!