Jimmy Page Had THE BEST idea with Rolling Stone

Charles J. White

Best line ever: 14:00 ".....However, there were other reviewers, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here, that they weren't just trying to be sort of clever guys you know and actually they were stupid." :lol: :lol: Freaking great!

This was an awesome idea! What's up with Robert and John Paul....are they losing their edge or what?

I understand those ridiculous RS reviews can still burn 40+ years later and I probably would have instinctively done what Jimmy wanted to, but the high road taken by RP and JPJ is admirable - after all, in posterity, Led Zeppelin will be remembered for their outstanding legacy; who is going to remember the name of a critic who dissed them, and why give him a second chance at 15 minutes? Let him slide into the oblivion he merits.

This is such an odd looking interview: who has chosen to shoot him like that ? The backdrop is surreal and JP looks a little removed from reality, almost puppet like.

Plus - possibly it's the lighting or visual treatment - but it does look somewhat as if he's found, at the very least, let's say some tinted lipbalm to wear ...

The audio is also obviously edited - but thankfully his vocal tone and expressions are still there: they're the most real thing about it !

• 4 weeks later...

Please forgive my micro-trolling but this interview reminded me of a great quote from the pilot episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm.' "Only a@@holes and blind people wear sunglasses indoors!" We can cut JPP a break but... :dont:

If you watch the vid closely you'll notice that there is a bright rectangular light pointed right at his face probably 10 feet away. There are times when you can see it reflected in the right lens (jimmy's right). Its not easy to sit with a light in your face while talking for camera hence the sun glasses.

Please forgive my micro-trolling but this interview reminded me of a great quote from the pilot episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm.' "Only a@@holes and blind people wear sunglasses indoors!" We can cut JPP a break but... :dont:

He may have a problem with glare. His eyes, like the rest of him, are seventy years old.

No need to give up, someday you just might tell a funny joke. :peace:

Yes, well, thankfully we have you to guide us in the proper application of mirth and irony.

These forum have largely proven to serve as nothing more than a hive for a multitude of 40-50 year old men who love to sit in an echo chamber and ponder what it used to be like when they could look down and see their knees and other bits without the assistance of a mirror; a mausoleum for a band defunct nearly 34 years.

Ha! I think it was a great idea on Jimmy's part :lol:

This year at Glastonbury Metallica did something similar in that on the back of the T Shirts they were selling they put quotes from all the negative press regarding them headlining the festival which I found pretty funny.

I can see the other side of the argument though - those reviews are over forty years old now and since then Zeppelin have become one of the (if not the most influential) bands in the world. So maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs lie and move on.

Yes, well, thankfully we have you to guide us in the proper application of mirth and irony.

These forum have largely proven to serve as nothing more than a hive for a multitude of 40-50 year old men who love to sit in an echo chamber and ponder what it used to be like when they could look down and see their knees and other bits without the assistance of a mirror; a mausoleum for a band defunct nearly 34 years.

Just out of curiosity...why post here if you aren't a fan of the band or their music?

• 2 months later...

Ha! I think it was a great idea on Jimmy's part :lol:

This year at Glastonbury Metallica did something similar in that on the back of the T Shirts they were selling they put quotes from all the negative press regarding them headlining the festival which I found pretty funny.

I can see the other side of the argument though - those reviews are over forty years old now and since then Zeppelin have become one of the (if not the most influential) bands in the world. So maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs lie and move on.

I saw this interview a couple of weeks ago or something, and at first I was thinking it was a great idea. But the more I think about it though it would just be bringing attention to someone who doesn't deserve it. Anyone can write a horrible review, or a good one for that matter. I don't like the concept of music critics, I just don't like the idea of someone getting turned off of an album and not even bothering to check it out just cause someone said it was rubbish. What if they actually would have liked it? That completely terrifies me, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Best line ever: 14:00 ".....However, there were other reviewers, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here, that they weren't just trying to be sort of clever guys you know and actually they were stupid." :lol: :lol: Freaking great!

Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times comes to mind. He routinely panned them and continued doing so into their solo careers.

The whole problem with the critic, any critic, is personal preference. Even the best critics have a hard time separating personal taste and even bias from a review. Another point is when someone comes along and does something so completely new and different the old guard gets defensive. As time goes on and the old guard are proven wrong they cling even harder to their original opinion and review claiming the fans are simply dilettantes who know nothing. It takes decades for some folk to come around and admit that they were wrong, some never do.

I always liked Roger Ebert as a critic because he would go back and re-review movies years later to see if he was wrong, right, or missed something. He frequently admitted he was wrong and was never afraid to say when he screwed up. I wish the music industry had a few critics like Ebert.

One other point, silly as it may be but here goes. There is the old saying about those who can, do, those who cannot become critics. I would take it one step further in regards to rock critics in particular. I believe many of the critics from the 60's & 70's in particular were kind of geeky and nerdish, overweight, and not very attractive in general. When the Beatles came around they were dissed as bubblegum music and really did not start to get great reviews until Rubber Soul. The Stones were a glorified cover band until 66' or so and their reviews as well were just ok for a long time. However the folk singers and San Fran group ALWAYS got rave reviews. Dylan, the Dead, the Byrds, Mommas & the Pappas etc were the darlings of the critics. I do believe some of this has to do with not only the social commentary of their music, but also, TBH, they were pretty ugly folk. The critics could related to them. Zeppelin however was a damn fine looking band, four very good looking, athletic, and talented men. I think this really pissed off the critics. Lets face it, The Beatles were cute but only Paul was really good looking. The Stones...um, pretty ugly too. But Zeppelin, shit not only would they come to your town but after they left you girlfriend would turn up with a smile on her face and a bun in the oven. I think the complete package of what Zeppelin presented, coupled with their fast success really pissed off these critics.

All I know is this, time has indeed vindicated the mighty Zeppelin. The critics were not only proven wrong but shown to be shallow asses in general. There are colleges which are now teaching whole music theory courses based only on the music of Zeppelin and the President presented them at the Kennedy Center. Zeppelin are not the pinnacle of the mountain, they ARE the mountain.

Archived