Jimmy Page to give a talk on his photo autobiography on November 3 in NYC

aen27

Everyone going to these events, enjoy!

I have pre-odered the book (it came out here in The Netherlands yesterday), so hopefully by the time the weekend comes, I'll get to enjoy the book.

Unfortunately, for me there is no chance to attend any of the book-signing events......... :(

Maaike

Everyone going to these events, enjoy!

I have pre-odered the book (it came out here in The Netherlands yesterday), so hopefully by the time the weekend comes, I'll get to enjoy the book.

Unfortunately, for me there is no chance to attend any of the book-signing events......... :(

Maaike

I am fortunate enough to attend both events =) However, as a side note, I pre-ordered the book and was schedule to ship on Oct. 14. but I received an email from BnN stating that the shipping was delayed, and were planning to have the orders shipped starting Nov. 3. For those of us making the trip to NYC is not an option, I had one of my wife's friends that live in the city buy a book for me (there were completely sold out in Dallas -i have family down there- and only a few stores in NYC had it available).

it's a shame Mr. Page is not signing any memorabilia, though (I wanted to take my guitar, haha). Anyway, the date is just around the corner!!!

See you guys soon!

I am fortunate enough to attend both events =) However, as a side note, I pre-ordered the book and was schedule to ship on Oct. 14. but I received an email from BnN stating that the shipping was delayed, and were planning to have the orders shipped starting Nov. 3. For those of us making the trip to NYC is not an option, I had one of my wife's friends that live in the city buy a book for me (there were completely sold out in Dallas -i have family down there- and only a few stores in NYC had it available).

it's a shame Mr. Page is not signing any memorabilia, though (I wanted to take my guitar, haha). Anyway, the date is just around the corner!!!

See you guys soon!

Try to see if you can cancel your order through BNN as it hasn't shipped yet. I would think so. Then order it through Amazon. I just got my Amazon copy on Saturday and that wasn't with expedited shipping. You still have two weeks until the event, so you should receive it before then, but check on the expected receiving date and what shipping you want.

Hope to see you on the 3rd!

Hello everyone! We are fast approaching the day....I will PM everyone that has reached out to make plans. Look for PM's this weekend so we can finalize plans on where to meet up prior to the event. (suggestions welcome) We are going to have a blast!!!! :yay:

Hello everyone! We are fast approaching the day....I will PM everyone that has reached out to make plans. Look for PM's this weekend so we can finalize plans on where to meet up prior to the event. (suggestions welcome) We are going to have a blast!!!! :yay:

Sounds good Deborah and looking forward to seeing everyone for such a great time.

Make sure on some sort of roll call!

I've got the autobiography! the only thing is that I haven't opened it yet, since I have to buy it (again) the day of the event. I'm planning on returning this one :beat:

The book is way bigger and heavier than I expected (which means there are a bunch of 'pages', haha, get it?)

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys, just a week away!!!

Cheers!

The Barnes & Noble event says "In lieu of a signature, author will stamp book"

While there will indeed be a large crowd for Jimmy, Barnes & Noble stores in New York are very experienced in managing massive crowds for the highest level of celebrity.

The choice to sign or not sign is an author's choice.

For example, Lenny Kravitz appeared at both the 92Y and a Barnes & Noble tonight. While signing books at the 92Y is protocol, he was not inclined to sign books at B&N. He was (for sales sake) persuaded otherwise.

There is no doubt that signing hundreds of books is a difficult physical task but the choice to stamp has nothing to do with physical exertion or eBay reselling.

When word that Jimmy would stamp rather than offer a signature was first reported, it came across as a bit offputting, I have to say, though I haven't been able to put it into words quite why. No, Jimmy doesn't owe anybody anything; the exchange of value for value -- money for product - has already transpired. Still, he is out there promoting his musical biography in pictures, and one of those promotional endeavours is a book signing. Now stamping. I've never heard of an author stamping a book, maybe that's why it sounds a bit weird and kind of distant. Is stamping considered a regular alternative for authors these days?

Recently, an unrelated article about autographs being big draws at book fairs made me think of Jimmy's stamp plans. Perhaps there are physical issues that for the time being prevent him from signing all the books. If that's the case, please excuse me, and nevermind. If, however, that's not the case, here are some thoughts from the article that express well the difference that actual pen strokes make:

“So perhaps the question should be: what is it about a bunch of marks you make with your hand (your signature) that is a unique indication of your identity and intention? You are how you write, as it turns out. So your signature on a book says, among other things: I did this personally,” said Atwood.

“There is something magic about handwriting.”

Perhaps Jimmy can reconsider giving a personal touch that only his signature can make. I'm not going so this is not personal, just an observation and a hope that for fans who make the trip, they'll get what is expected at a book signing. Hope you all who are going have a great time whatever kind of ink and medium are used.

Here's the rest of the article: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2014/10/26/a_book_fairs_big_draw_author_autographs.html

When word that Jimmy would stamp rather than offer a signature was first reported, it came across as a bit offputting, I have to say, though I haven't been able to put it into words quite why. No, Jimmy doesn't owe anybody anything; the exchange of value for value -- money for product - has already transpired. Still, he is out there promoting his musical biography in pictures, and one of those promotional endeavours is a book signing. Now stamping. I've never heard of an author stamping a book, maybe that's why it sounds a bit weird and kind of distant. Is stamping considered a regular alternative for authors these days?

I enjoyed the article and reading your thoughts about this.

As an avid reader and a bit of an author groupie, I loved Atwood's comment about handwriting. I've had many a moment with authors whose book had a profound effect on me, and save one, they were all delightful, sincere, and gracious. I've never once thought about the monetary value of the signature and I've never been to any event or reading where an author of any age, celebrity, or standing used a stamp.

I enjoyed the article and reading your thoughts about this.

As an avid reader and a bit of an author groupie, I loved Atwood's comment about handwriting. I've had many a moment with authors whose book had a profound effect on me, and save one, they were all delightful, sincere, and gracious. I've never once thought about the monetary value of the signature and I've never been to any event or reading where an author of any age, celebrity, or standing used a stamp.

Hi Anonynous, thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you read and enjoyed the article, too. What vinyl is for Robert and Jimmy, books are for me - and from the sounds of it, for you as well.

I'm trying to cut down book store ventures and so far this week I went twice :D. What's interesting is that there does seem to be a difference between autographs of other artists and those of books, some sort of connection that the article alludes to. Yeah I can't imagine ever selling anything signed. Besides, they're all addressed to me, lowering 'market value' but making the experience all the more special. But even if there are always those who get something signed for profit, they shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for others.

Jimmy may well be better off stamping posters or pictures rather than his picture autobiography. He put his heart into it and fans put their heart into making the treck to hear him speak and wait in line to get it marked by the man himself; that kind of communion deserves the acknowledgement of a more intimate touch. Come on, Jimmy, put pen to paper!

If anyone here has an XM/Sirius subscription, Jimmy is doing a Town Hall on Friday, November 7th in NYC. You can enter on the XM website, but you have to have a question to ask him. If you win, they will have you ask it live during the event.

If anyone here has an XM/Sirius subscription, Jimmy is doing a Town Hall on Friday, November 7th in NYC. You can enter on the XM website, but you have to have a question to ask him. If you win, they will have you ask it live during the event.

If anyone's going and doesn't have a GUEST to bring with them, I'd pay $500+ to go. Sorry to be so crude about it, but I have no way of getting in as it requires SiriusXM subscriber BEFORE Oct 6 and I can't subscribe 3 weeks ago.

Hi Anonynous, thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you read and enjoyed the article, too. What vinyl is for Robert and Jimmy, books are for me - and from the sounds of it, for you as well.

I'm trying to cut down book store ventures and so far this week I went twice :D. What's interesting is that there does seem to be a difference between autographs of other artists and those of books, some sort of connection that the article alludes to. Yeah I can't imagine ever selling anything signed. Besides, they're all addressed to me, lowering 'market value' but making the experience all the more special. But even if there are always those who get something signed for profit, they shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for others.

Jimmy may well be better off stamping posters or pictures rather than his picture autobiography. He put his heart into it and fans put their heart into making the treck to hear him speak and wait in line to get it marked by the man himself; that kind of communion deserves the acknowledgement of a more intimate touch. Come on, Jimmy, put pen to paper![/quote

I also have a great love of books.

Since the original publication of this book was signed by Jimmy, was in a numbered distribution, and cost quite a pretty penny, I have to believe the intent of the stamp is to preserve the value and uniqueness of the original.

I also have a great love of books.

Since the original publication of this book was signed by Jimmy, was in a numbered distribution, and cost quite a pretty penny, I have to believe the intent of the stamp is to preserve the value and uniqueness of the original.

Hi Mack, well that's certainly a consideration, but I'm not sure that the commercial end of a product hits at the core of what's genuine, you know? You can't have two things at heart, and it seems that exclusivity won out. Protecting the rarity and value with a hand signature of the one while witholding a hand signature from the other provileges people with money, not necessarily sifting hard-core fans from simply those who know hey this'll be worth something more some day. I don't know - people are taking time out from work, spending money on transportation and accomodation to come hear Jimmy speak, waiting in line to get what they could afford -- stamped? -- after all that effort...hmmm...

Thing is, $1000 or whatever can be chump change for one person, and an entire savings for another. Who values the book and experience more?

But it shouldn't even be about that, with all due respect to the quality of the original rare prints of the book. Jimmy spoke with such heartfelt details about his endeavours with Zep back in the day and for Zep with the new remasters now, that it's strange that with this project there's an air of privilege rather than getting to the heart of the matter and connecting with people on a certain level. Truly, you can't put a price on something like that.

So when are Deb, rosiet, Super Dave, aen27 and everyone else meeting up in NYC? Are you guys flying in the night before or making an entire weekend of it by coming in on Friday/Saturday? Keep us posted...and make sure you all get a group photo in front of the Physical Graffiti building on St. Marks St! :)

New York Barnes & Noble event limited to 250 people.

Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page

Author Event
250 wristbands will be distributed with book purchase beginning at 10:00 am the morning of the event. Jimmy Page will be on-hand, stamping his book with a design, envisioned by Page, consisting of his signature 'Zoso' logo, the location and date.
Wednesday November 05, 2014 7:00 PM

Union Square
33 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003, 212-253-0810

Special Instructions
No photographs or memorabilia please. Two book limit per customer. Mr. Page will not be signing books at this event. Books must be purchased at this location for wristband.

I'll be going to the Neue Gallery at 11 am ish to see the EGON SCHIELE PORTRAITS exhibition tomorrow morning. It's on 5th ave at 86th street. Then if time allows. I'm going to the Jewish Museum to see the Lee krasner/Norman Lewis exhibition. It is located at 5th and 93rd. BOTH ARE VERY COOL MUST SEE ART EXHIBITIONS only happening in NYC. Then meeting some friends for drinks and some Alsatian French food at Tarte Flambee around 530 pm it's on 2nd -Ave btwn 91 and 92nd a few blocks away from the 92 st Y where the jimmy Page event is being held, we have a table reserved but i believe there is a full bar with some CHOICE beverages, and a happy hour between 4 and 7. see you in the balcony if not before. Row FF. seats 3 and 4. Me and my friend Helen Aqua, who is flying in from Louisiana, are going to be in attendance. I'll be taking the Metro North in from CT in the morning. Bald dude with a stark gray Goatee. Say hello!!!

I fly in tomorrow at 1:00. I will be catching up with Deborah J's group. Sadly it looks like I may not make it time to go with them to St, Marks.

Very anxious and excited to go! Also staying for the book stamping. That is, if I am fortunate enough to be one of the 250.

Archived