Jimmy Page to give a talk on his photo autobiography on November 3 in NYC

aen27

Here's a mystery - Jimmy Page, at this point in his life, is so well spoken, so intelligent, and so detailed about minute facts

regarding his past. The guy is worldly and a statesman. I cannot understand for the life of me why he hasn't picked up a guitar

or some musical instrument over the years and created more masterpieces. I just don't get it.

Listening to him speak these days is such a pleasure, and yet what he does best - play the guitar - is totally non-existent.

I thought the same thing after seeing "it Might Get Loud"....such a genius and nothing new to show for it.

He was a great guitarist but there actually aren't many original masterpiece compositions in Led Zeppelin's back catalog anyway. What it comes down to is forty years ago he was at the right place at the right time with the right ideas and now he's dining out on it again. All well and good, but don't expect anything else.

This is now up on you tube

Jimmy Page On His Spectacular Life and Career, Interviewed by Jeff Koons

Ms. Deb, thanks so much for posting this, I know you and our other members here who attended had a blast!

As to the interview:

I thought the interview went incredibly well.

Mr. Page was very relaxed, yet he just lights up when he talks about music and his career, he is sooooo passionate about his love of music!

I really think Jeff Koons did a great job, he is obviously a die-hard fan with loads of respect and as a fellow artist I think there was a real connection in understanding the creative process, I know that added tremendously to the relaxed atmosphere.

I loved the audience reaction to Jimmy's talking about his future plans.

And if he is reading this particular forum...

Yes, please Mr. Page! :smiley_pray:

He was a great guitarist but there actually aren't many original masterpiece compositions in Led Zeppelin's back catalog anyway. What it comes down to is forty years ago he was at the right place at the right time with the right ideas and now he's dining out on it again. All well and good, but don't expect anything else.

Which ones would you say are "original"?

Caroselumbra.

Tea for One.

For Your Life.

Trampled Underfoot.

In the Light.

Immigrant Song.

Wearing and Tearing.

The above are all "Rock" masterpiece originals.

Great original songs, sure, but not masterpieces (IMHO).

The lyrics for Trampled Underfoot are inspired by Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues.

I may throw a few like: The Song Remains The Same, Ten Years Gone and Since I've Been Loving You into original rock masterpieces. This would be about it, plus the other three Steve mentioned.

yes. Great choices. I would add to yours and Steve's The Rain Song, In The Light, and Over The Hills and Far Away.. I consider Friends a mini masterpiece. Simple but very affective..

yes. Great choices. I would add to yours and Steve's The Rain Song, In The Light, and Over The Hills and Far Away.. I consider Friends a mini masterpiece. Simple but very affective..

Those would be good choices as well as they're quite varied.

I think this thread has taken a different direction!

That was a great interview, conversation, thanks for posting that. With the question about, did he know how "vast" the songs were going to be...which Page didnt get to answering, as the interview went. I think its that fifth element, or band sound...which all good bands have, that can make a song as good as it can be.

It is great that you all met up and got to see/hear such a great discussion with Jimmy Page.

Archived