John Paul Jones and the mandolin - interview

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

John Paul Jones is regularly participating in the Festival International Mandolines de Lunel since its creation in 2004 : in 2013, at the 10th Anniversary edition, he has been consecrated Godfather of the festival, joining Mike Marshall (Godfather since 2006) and Hamilton de Holanda (Godfather since 2008).

Was this recorded in his house? It looks a bit like the place, in the back, where his wife cooks in TSRTS and he sasy: Tour dates! This is tomorrow!

I don't think so as he refers to 'here' when talking about the festival and the date of the interview corresponds to the date of the festival last year. I suspect it is in France.

Thank you John...for being you. You Never let the fame-fortune-and folly get the best of your

gentle and humble soul. Unlike so many along the way.

You are the finest example of an artist and craftsman.

How does a talented musician have to search for festivals on internet? It´s sad and unfair and... beyond words. Such a humble and good natured soul he is, Mr. Baldwin.

I think maybe a slight misinterpretation of his words. Don't worry JPJ doesn't have to search too far for places to play or people to play with.

• 2 weeks later...

JPJ has got to be the most down to earth rock musician of his era. Truly the guy next door.

As a 35 year Zep fan I should know this, but in the limited appearances of mandolin in Zep tunes, did JPJ always play, or did Jimmy have any mandolin moments on record?

JPJ has got to be the most down to earth rock musician of his era. Truly the guy next door.

As a 35 year Zep fan I should know this, but in the limited appearances of mandolin in Zep tunes, did JPJ always play, or did Jimmy have any mandolin moments on record?

Hi TDL,

Jimmy played mandolin on The Battle of Evermore.

He wrote the song having never played mandolin before, after picking up JPJ's mandolin and then writing the song on the spot.

He gave a taste of just the mandolin part in IMGL when he is sitting outside Headley Grange.

Archived