Comedian/Actor Robin Williams Dead of Suicide

SuperDave

My favorite performances of his were in "The Fisher King," in which he plays a man broken by trauma, and "Birdcage" in which he plays a gay club owner. I don't know; I didn't really like his other roles. The depression seeped through. I also was puzzled by his effeminacy. For a long time I just assumed he was gay. It looks like he relapsed recently; why else go to a rehab? Wonder what else might have been going on...I assume he was prescribed meds...wonder if he was taking them? Or maybe preferred the illegal stuff. That doesn't work; cocaine and booze make you more depressed. If he had intractable depression he should have gone to a psych hospital and had ECT, instead of a rehab. There's a whole story we don't know, I guess. What we've been told doesn't make sense.

I am saddened by his death. I really did like his work as both comedian and actor. He was a deep person in many ways and also a brilliant comedian.

I was just telling my wife earlier that I don't think I've even been so down about someone like that dying. It almost felt like a family member had passed in a way, because I thought so much of him and as a person and his movies.

He must have been terribly tormented to do such a thing to himself.

Goes to show, you never know what goes on inside someone's mind-unless they tell you.

He was truly an original. A very gifted entertainer in so many ways. Sad he didn't have inner peace and love himself. He had the means to get help, I wish more health plans covered mental health for people who don't have the means to seek help.

We don't know that he didn't seek professional help. Depression, like cancer, can be very difficult to treat. Some people respond well to the standard drug therapies. The less lucky don't.

News is out his wife went to bed first. Robin used a belt and hung himself from the door in another room. No mention of a note yet.

None of which the general public has any right or need to know. His family had already asked that their right to privacy be respected.

I buy and read the USA TODAY newspaper every day (except on Saturday and Sunday, when it is not available). In yesterdays publication (8/12/14), even the Man Himself, the Late and Great Robin Williams says that His best "Acting" performance was His Role as the Person He portrayed in "Awakenings".

Some people are truly disgusting: A fake autopsy picture was made by a couple of despicables and used to harass Zelda on Twitter.

There's a whole story we don't know, I guess. What we've been told doesn't make sense.

What we've been told is that he was suffering from depression, and we know that he committed suicide as a result. Not only does that "make sense," it's all we're entitled (if we're even entitled at all) to know -- along the same lines as what Steve said above.

None of which the general public has any right or need to know. His family had already asked that their right to privacy be respected.

I think it is something that would have come out no matter what. I would be more interested in whether he left a message. That would be something to know

Obviously, someone is leaking this information. However, this doesn't let the gossip rags off the hook for snooping around then publishing the info even after his family asked for privacy.

One out of 5 people in the US will have a major depressive episode at some point during their lives. The vast majority of those people don't attempt suicide much less complete it. People do not commit suicide simply because they have depression unless it is untreated. There are frequently other factors, which can include a life situation, another disorder, abuse of substances, etc. There are many, many different types of treatment for depression. These include not only medications and psychotherapy, but ECT and other brain stimulation treatments. I have worked with hundreds of people with depression and the only ones I saw having no response to medication were ones who were in an intolerable life situation, such as domestic violence or physical illness with chronic pain. I have seen severely depressed people snap out of depression with ECT treatments. "Depression" is often actually bipolar disorder which is more difficult to treat. I don't know if Williams had bipolar disorder, but it is common among stand-up comics. Some people don't like taking medications for bipolar disorder because they can have side effects such as weight gain. Some people don't like the anti-depressants because they can cause sexual dysfunction. Some people prefer to do cocaine rather than take their anti-depressant, even though cocaine makes depression and bipolar disorder worse. Unfortunately I see many people who do not know what they are talking about expounding all over the internet, making statements that imply depression doesn't get better when in fact this is a false statement. I repeat that there are factors we don't know about Williams. I am absolutely sure there is more to the story than that he was just depressed.

What we've been told is that he was suffering from depression, and we know that he committed suicide as a result. Not only does that "make sense," it's all we're entitled (if we're even entitled at all) to know -- along the same lines as what Steve said above.

I can imagine what Robin Williams family is going through, I myself have suffered from boughts of depression. The last severe one was exactly 1 year ago when I was made redundant from a job (my ex employer had made my life hell on the running up to it) And the previous time was about 2007/08.

And even though, I tried to block out "the black thoughts" as I called it, there was one thing that I had really noticed, and it is when the mind can suddenly become your very very worse nightmare. It is a powerful horrible scenario, and even though I did at the end manage to "crawl" out of it, it is still lurking about.

I didn't go to any doctor though, sadly here in Northern Ireland (and I'm sure it's not the only country) the doctors tend to treat patients with a handful of pills and shoo them away, usually something like diazepam, which has turned half of my neighborhood into zombies. That route I refuse to take, no matter how bad it gets/or has got.

I do remember reading online, or rather I was Googling about suicides (I think this was one of the times the "black thoughts" was nipping at my tail. I came across the suicide note of Virgina Woolfe and it was utterly heartbreaking that I found myself in tears by the end.

What I don't like, and I don't know if anyone else has been through this, is when you say you are depressed, you are faced with a comment such as "oh cheer up, it may never happen" or..."sure I'm depressed even looking at you..." like it is something to make mockery out of or to be taken in a joke form.

I am not too sure what I have said should have been on another thread.

No kidding. I have seen reports on everything from depression to his finances.

Reminds me of the old song by Don Henley. You know the one.

Let the guy rest in peace and leave his family alone. Period.

QFT. This. :thumbsup:

And unless you are personally friends with the person, why are you following a celebrity's daughter on twitter? I find that a little creepy.

I agree with you, but I'm not familiar with the Don Henley song you mentioned. Do you remember the title?

I agree with you, but I'm not familiar with the Don Henley song you mentioned. Do you remember the title?

She's talking about "Dirty Laundry"..."kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down".

The flowers and candles have just about swallowed Robin's star...you can barely see it now.

post-1470-0-06078600-1408038445_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-56082700-1408038485_thumb.jp

I just saw this on MNBC:

Robin Williams' widow said in an interview that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease but hadn't been ready to share this information with the public. Since Mrs. Williams herself disclosed this information, I think it's okay for me to mention it here.

Archived