First Album / Single You Purchased With Money You Earned

Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Hi everyone! :wave:

I searched for a topic like this, in this section of the forum, but the search function turned up nothing.

So, I'll get right to it: "What was the first album / single you purchased, with money you earned? And why did you decide to purchase that particular album / single?".

The first album I purchased with money I earned, was the groundbreaking Garage Rock compilation album "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965 - 1968", back in 2011.

I was in my Honours year at University and I was one of the mid-term test supervisors for Business School undergraduate kiddies, during the 1st semester, earning NZ $ 60 per session. I was lucky enough to get work for 2 nights in a row (the mid-term tests were always held at night after classes) and well, I was pretty excited about the money I had earned ($120 was a lot for a Uni student like me).

The money was credited to my bank account on a Friday and with no classes to get to on Saturday, a trip to the record store was inevitable! Sure, I could have compiled a list of albums that I wished to purchase and then sat on my ass at the computer and ordered it from a freakin' online store, BUT where the bloody hell is the fun in that?! :P

That Saturday morning, I set off to number 438 Queen Street, in Central Auckland, by bus. It was the location of my favourite record store "Real Groovy". It was almost 10:30 AM, when I reached the store and I planned to spend the day there, browsing and figuring out what to buy. Luckily, the store closed only at 7 PM, so I had plenty of time to spend there, without being chased out by staff, at closing time! :lol:

I came across some very interesting albums in the Blues section such as a compilation full of singles that Howlin' Wolf recorded during his days at Sun Records (the years 1951 and 1952) called "Howlin' At The Sun" and a lovely album packed with songs by Elmore James, called "The Sky Is Crying". Both the albums were within my budget (only $11 each, since they were second-hand CD's) and hence, were on my radar.

There was another interesting section in the store called "Golden Oldies", which I always browsed during every visit and from this point on, things started to get really interesting! Sitting on one of the racks in the "Golden Oldies" section, looking absolutely brand new with plastic wrapping and the price tag, was the CD version of one of the most groundbreaking 60's Garage Rock compilations ever produced! I pretty much stopped dead in my tracks at my fortunate discovery! I had (literally) pestered the store employees on many occasions about this particular album, only to be told that it was out of stock at the store and could only be ordered online! Hmph! Also, I discovered that there was only 1 copy of this album in the entire store and so, I just grabbed it as fast as I could! You see, I have been a fan of the Garage Rock music genre since childhood, all thanks to my mom, who led me on to bands like "The Ventures", "The Shadows", etc. She had many cool Garage Rock compilations in her collection such as ones from the "Garage Punk Unknowns" series, but unfortunately, her music collection lacked must-have compilations (be it for a fan of 60's Garage Rock or for a fan of music in general) such as the legendary Nuggets compilation, courtesy of Lenny Kaye and Jac Holzman.

The Nuggets album was $28 and so worth the money! I only had $60 (out of the $120 that I had earned) with me that day, because I didn't want to be greedy and spend all the money at once! Plus, I had earmarked some to buy a couple of gifts for my mom and dad, to surprise them! I bought my dad a copy of an album by Queen called "The Works", since he had lost his copy of the album, some years ago. I unfortunately, did not have much money left from the $60 I had with me to get my mom anything, but luckily on my next trip to "Real Groovy" (which was 2 weeks later), I bought her a cool DVD with all the ABBA music videos ever made (with the remaining $ 60), since she (and I) are big fans of the band!

Well, that wraps up my exceptionally long (sorry about that! :lol:) post on the story on the very first album I purchased, with money I earned.

It will be nice if you guys have any stories to share of your very first album purchase, with money you earned.

FYI, I started this topic just for fun!

Cheers!

Kiwi :)

post-15112-0-87156900-1408018829_thumb.j

post-15112-0-65012300-1408018911_thumb.j

post-15112-0-51082900-1408018990_thumb.j

My first album on vinyl: The Beach Boys (Summer Days and Summer Nights!!)

The reason I was hooked on that album was because of ONE line which to this day, I think is one the greatest lines for a kid who lives in the cold north they call Canada:

"Hawaiian dolls by a palm tree in the sand" Can you guess the song?

My first single was The Love You Save by the Jackson 5 with I Found That Girl on the B side. I purchased it with money my godmother sent me for my 11th birthday. My first album was Crime of the Century by Supertramp, purchased with money I earned babysitting.

Edited by Disco Duck

Would it be terribly unoriginal if I said the first album I ever bought was Led Zeppelin's self-titled debut. Because that's what it was--the reason being after listening to a whole lot of classic rock on the radio stations and figuring out that the band responsible for the majority of the songs I liked was Zeppelin, i figured, if the songs on the radio are that good, then they might be worth listening to for an entire album. So I started at the beginning and the rest as they say, is history...

Well the first record I ever bought was a 45 of Elton John's Crocodile Rock (with Elderberry Wine on the B side which I thought was a great deal because I liked that song almost as much) but it was from money that I got for my birthday, not from money that I earned. I think the first record I ever bought with earned money was Physical Graffiti.

ITTOD - first individual album, paper bag cover and all.

But before that it was actually the Columbia record club thing, 13 records for the price of 3 - I'm guesing, then you have to buy 5? more over the next year. Of that collection, the only one that remains unopened was the Bay City Rollers

It was a 45, The Beatles "Can't Buy Me Love" (and the title might be true), BUT, I didn't buy it for the A-Side, I bought it for the lesser known but better B-Side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQ8AhiRcNE

Wow! Good choice, Charles! "You Can't Do That" was one of the 1st songs I heard by The Beatles. I was about 8 years old and I happened to browse through my dad's massive cassette collection and I came across the cassette version of the album "A Hard Day's Night". "You Can't Do That" was track number 5 on side 2 of the cassette. Ah!! Good times! :D

My first album on vinyl: The Beach Boys (Summer Days and Summer Nights!!)

The reason I was hooked on that album was because of ONE line which to this day, I think is one the greatest lines for a kid who lives in the cold north they call Canada:

"Hawaiian dolls by a palm tree in the sand" Can you guess the song?

I know that lyric! It is from the song "California Girls" isn't it? B)

i was given the first two Beatles albums on vinyl by my grandad, still got em, first album bought was Killers my Iron Maiden on cassette

Great that you've still got both those vinyl albums, henrybonzo! Hopefully, they still play well on your turn table? I don't listen to Iron Maiden much, but I am very curious and I think I'm going to at least preview the Killers album. Interesting choice there! Thanks for your reply! :)

I had an older sister who bought all the Elvis, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Ricky Nelson, Chubby Checker etc. stuff.

For me,

First Single : I Can See for Miles - The Who

First Album : Disraeli Gears ------- The Cream

Nice! Disraeli Gears is one hell of an awesome album! One of the all-time greatest albums, IMHO. My first album by Cream was "Wheels of Fire", followed by "Disraeli Gears" :)

Would it be terribly unoriginal if I said the first album I ever bought was Led Zeppelin's self-titled debut. Because that's what it was--the reason being after listening to a whole lot of classic rock on the radio stations and figuring out that the band responsible for the majority of the songs I liked was Zeppelin, i figured, if the songs on the radio are that good, then they might be worth listening to for an entire album. So I started at the beginning and the rest as they say, is history...

Absolutely not, Paul! In fact, I think it's really great that you began your music collection (with a bang!) by purchasing a groundbreaking album by the mighty Led Zeppelin! B)

1st purchases in that one day in 1984 was:

1: Santana Lotus 3 x vinals - released 1974 live album recording at the Osaka Koseinenkin Hall on the 3rd and 04th July 1973

2: Led Zeppelin II on cassette.

I think the first record I ever bought with earned money was Physical Graffiti.

ITTOD - first individual album, paper bag cover and all.

Great choices, guys! Money well spent!! :thumbsup:

It was "A Kind of Magic" by Queen, in audio cassette form. I bought it the day it came out, from money I earned being a maths tutor in 6th form.

My then-boyfriend (who became my future ex-husband) was the one who introduced me to Queen :)

Queen_A_Kind_Of_Magic.png

Hiya Sathington! :wave: Got any interesting stories to share? Come on! Spill it, mate! You know you want to! ;)

lol Hey Kiwi! Like riffsofpage, I remember being in one of those record clubs, back in the mid 90's when alternative was at its peak. Stuff like Green Day-Dookie, Weezer-Blue Album, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring-Smash, Silverchair-Frogstomp, etc.

Wow! Good choice, Charles! "You Can't Do That" was one of the 1st songs I heard by The Beatles. I was about 8 years old and I happened to browse through my dad's massive cassette collection and I came across the cassette version of the album "A Hard Day's Night". "You Can't Do That" was track number 5 on side 2 of the cassette. Ah!! Good times! :D

I know that lyric! It is from the song "California Girls" isn't it? B)

You are correct, to this day when driving in my car when that lines come up I turn up the volume