Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Joel, thanks for sharing your memories! Your poor girlfriend! Back in the day, I was the one who usually ended up hauling a semi-comatose guy through the crowd and back out to the lobby.

You've got that right. :D

IMO, concert, music, and otherwise, the Mick Taylor years were the Stones' glory days.

RichardsTaylor70I-1.jpg

Absolutely. Mick Taylor was the best thing that ever happened to the Stones. Pity Keith & Mick didn't give him his due, otherwise he still might be there. <_<

Absolutely. Mick Taylor was the best thing that ever happened to the Stones. Pity Keith & Mick didn't give him his due, otherwise he still might be there. <_<

He left of his own accord;"fearing for his life".When he first joined;he was a teetotaler;by 1975,he was a heroin junkie.

He left of his own accord;"fearing for his life".When he first joined;he was a teetotaler;by 1975,he was a heroin junkie.

Yeah, there's truth to that too. No doubt about it. He looked a little freaked out in "Cocksucker Blues". :lol:

But Mick was also pissed off for not getting proper songwriting credits.

They were MSG. There's a thread about Zep being the heaviest band ever, elsewhere on the forum. I think you know what I mean when i say heavy is an experience ...not a sound... The Stones during that era.... Were ....HEAVY.... Loved Them B)

Ally, I absolutely do know what you mean when you say "heavy" because, back then, the word meant something other than a sound or a type of music...it meant something deep and profound and even more than that. Something like what the Beatles meant when they sang, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

I can't argue with any of that Rock Action.

Just wondering since the Super Bowl is coming, what anyone, especially you Rock Action if you read this, thought of the Stones performance at the Super Bowl a few yrs ago (cant remember the teams). I was very disappinted they chose to do JUST Satisfaction and drag it out, rather than do something from the days with Wood like something from Some Girls. I would have liked Beast of Burden but wish they would have at least done 2 songs and not dragged the hell out of Satisfaction. Wonder what Petty will do?? <_<

Think of Petty's top 2 or 3 most listenable hits. That's what he will play. The Stones playing "Beast of Burden" or anything else from Some Girls would have probably gone down like a lead zeppelin(Good Year blimp) at the Super Bowl. You really have to keep it pretty simple and rocking for the Super Bowl audience.

I went to the Super Bowl XXXI in 1997. Packers beat the Patriots in New Orleans. Halftime show was Blues Brothers, ZZ Top and James Brown.

• 2 weeks later...
I think there needs to be some respect shown for one of their least celebrated titles....

Their_Satanic_Maj.RollingStones.jpg

This gets dissed repeatedly by fans who claim they left their rocknroll traditions at home. Well I for one like this greatly...I loved how, after sitting at the feet of Paul McCartney during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, Mick Jagger took this influence and did a Stones 'psychedelic' album.

2000 Light Years from home, Dandelion, We Love You, The Gompus !! I love 'em....Plus the original cover was that 3d type of thingy....Hail, Hail psychedelia !!!

So whadaya say naysayers ? Can you appreciate and show some respect ? :)

I'm in. It goes beyond my comprehension but i really like that record. It's like the Wiggles doing Stones material...haha

Anyway, my top 5 Stones records(and amongst the top 5 EVER recorded by anybody)

1) Exile on Main Street

2) Sticky Fingers

3) Let it Bleed

4) Beggars Banquet

5) Get yer Ya ya's Out

Also like Goats, it's only r&r , Black and Blue(vastly underated imo) and Some Girls.

All of these records should be essential to any avid listener of great music.

p.s. one of the best shows i have ever see was Mick Taylor and a 3 piece band in a 200 seat club in the mid-80's. WOW! Played lots of Mayall stuff, Ventilator Blues, Sway, Time Waits for No One....Many other greats.

Mick is f'n ACE.

I'm in. It goes beyond my comprehension but i really like that record. It's like the Wiggles doing Stones material...haha

Anyway, my top 5 Stones records(and amongst the top 5 EVER recorded by anybody)

1) Exile on Main Street

2) Sticky Fingers

3) Let it Bleed

4) Beggars Banquet

5) Get yer Ya ya's Out

Also like Goats, it's only r&r , Black and Blue(vastly underated imo) and Some Girls.

All of these records should be essential to any avid listener of great music.

I second your post

Okay, I take back most of my former comment.

I guess it took Sticky Fingers to make me realize, but the Stones, they fucking RULE.

This is like the perfect album. Methinks I'll have a little buying spree soon.

Need to hit up some Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, and perhaps some Goats Head Soup.

those would be great additions also get Yer ya Yas out(live),Its only Rock and Roll.Some Girls,Black and Blue.Really anything with Mick Taylor you wont be sorry.

those would be great additions also get Yer ya Yas out(live),Its only Rock and Roll.Some Girls,Black and Blue.Really anything with Mick Taylor you wont be sorry.

If you want Mick Taylor, don't buy anything after It's Only R&R. That being said, Black and Blue is outstanding....a funk-rock fusion with some great moments. Billy Preston is AMAZING on Melody and Hey Negrita ROCKS! Some Girls has it's moments and Tatoo You isn't bad either. After that, PFFFTTTT.

If you want Mick Taylor, don't buy anything after It's Only R&R. That being said, Black and Blue is outstanding....a funk-rock fusion with some great moments. Billy Preston is AMAZING on Melody and Hey Negrita ROCKS! Some Girls has it's moments and Tatoo You isn't bad either. After that, PFFFTTTT.

I more or less agree.I liked alot of the Bigger Bang cd.there were some good songs on most of what they have put out,but overall the older material is far superior.

I more or less agree.I liked alot of the Bigger Bang cd.there were some good songs on most of what they have put out,but overall the older material is far superior.

So, is it more or is it less? Seriously, thanks for the reply. The older stuff rocks beyond belief,

Cheers

I've noticed The Stones take their fair share of abuse on this and other music boards. Friday night on VH1, I watched them perform a version of Satisfaction from what must have been 1966ish. It was very early stuff. I'm not sure ANYBODY could have criticized that performance. It was awesome. I never realized how odd looking Brian Jones was.

So, is it more or is it less? Seriously, thanks for the reply. The older stuff rocks beyond belief,

Cheers

more or less meaning I dont rule out everything they have done since Mick Taylor left.or since the 70's.Although I like the Mick Taylor and most of the 70's by a large margin,theres enough material fromm Steel Wheels on I enjoy.

Some Girls has it's moments...

I may be in the minority but I consider that album a classic, one I can listen to from start to finish without ever skipping a track.

In regards to their latter material, I like quite a bit of it as well, including A Bigger Bang. As for the live show, when I saw them last (couple of years ago) I thought they were all very into it and not just "going through the motions" as they're so often accused. I hope they keep performing and recording as long it makes them happy.

I am a Stones fan saw them in baton rouge 75 and new orleans 78 and 81 all three shows were good 75 being the best to me.

favorite lps

1.goats head soup

2.its only rock and roll

3.sticky fingers

4.metamorposis

5.thier satanic majesties request

as for best guitarist thats hard to say but i like ron wood saw him serveral times with the faces and the stones verry steady player not a whole lotta flash but quite a bit of substance

I may be in the minority but I consider that album a classic, one I can listen to from start to finish without ever skipping a track.

In regards to their latter material, I like quite a bit of it as well, including A Bigger Bang. As for the live show, when I saw them last (couple of years ago) I thought they were all very into it and not just "going through the motions" as they're so often accused. I hope they keep performing and recording as long it makes them happy.

I too love the Some Girls album I played that one to death after it came out.Bigger Bang has enough solid tracks on it to get my thumbs up.