Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

July 3, 1969...Brian Jones' life comes to a sad, wet end in a swimming pool. I prefer to remember the young pre-bloated Brian...like from the 1964 T.A.M.I. Show! Recorded at the Santa Monica Civic (still standing, folks!) 50 years ago this October. Dig that Vox teardrop guitar! R.I.P. Brian Jones.

http://youtu.be/ThT7csEZLio

Edited by Strider

• 2 months later...

The Rolling Stones to release 1981 and 1975 concert films From The Vault

The Rolling Stones are once again opening the doors of their archives, with Eagle Rock Entertainment, this time releasing From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981 and From The Vault - LA Forum – Live In 1975. This is a simultaneous release on SD Blu-ray, DVD, DVD+2CD and DVD+3LP.

The first release will be on 3 November 2014, From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981 by The Rolling Stones. This is the first salvo of From The Vault, a new series of live concerts from The Rolling Stones archive which are getting their first official releases. This is a simultaneous release on SD Blu-ray, DVD, DVD+2CD and DVD+3LP [Cat Nos ERSBD3016, EREDV1052, EAGDV037, ERDVLP083] and boasts a full length 2½ hour concert of The Rolling Stones performing at their very best. The set includes ‘Under My Thumb’, ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’, ‘Shattered’, ‘Beast Of Burden’, ‘Tumbling Dice’, ‘Miss You’, ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Jumping Jack Flash’, ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ and many more.

The Rolling Stones American Tour in 1981 was the most successful tour of that year taking a then record $50 million dollars in ticket sales. The tour was in support of the critically and commercially successful Tattoo You album. There were fifty dates on the tour which ran from Philadelphia at the end of September through to Hampton, Virginia on the 18th and 19th of December. The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards’ birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event. The footage has now been carefully restored and the sound has been newly mixed by Bob Clearmountain for this first official release of the show.

TRACKLISTING:

1) Under My Thumb 2) When The Whip Comes Down 3) Let’s Spend The Night Together 4) Shattered 5) Neighbours 6) Black Limousine 7) Just My Imagination 8) Twenty Flight Rock 9) Going To A Go Go 10) Let Me Go 11) Time Is On My Side 12) Beast Of Burden 13) Waiting On A Friend 14) Let It Bleed 15) You Can’t Always Get What You Want 16) Band Introductions 17) Happy Birthday Keith 18) Little T & A 19) Tumbling Dice 20) She’s So Cold 21) Hang Fire 22) Miss You 23) Honky Tonk Women 24) Brown Sugar 25) Start Me Up 26) Jumping Jack Flash 27) (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

The Rolling Stones are a band like no other and with more amazing released on the series set to follow “From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981” their fans are in for a treat.

The Rolling Stones – Shattered (From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj96Tau44OA

On 17 November 2014, Eagle Rock Entertainment release From The Vault - LA Forum – Live In 1975 by the Rolling Stones. This is the second release From The Vault, which is a new series of live concerts from the Rolling Stones’ archive which are getting their first official releases. This is a simultaneous release on DVD, DVD+2CD and DVD+3LP [Cat Nos EREDV1053, EAGDV038, ERDVLP084]. This is a full length 2½ hour concert of the Rolling Stones performing at their very best. The set list includes ‘Honky Tonk Women’, ‘Gimme Shelter’, ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’, ‘Tumbling Dice’, ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Midnight Rambler’, ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’, ‘Sympathy For The Devil’ and many more.

The Rolling Stones’ “Tour Of The Americas ‘75” was the band’s first tour with new guitarist Ronnie Wood. Even before the dates started there were dramatic scenes in New York City at the official tour announcement when the band unexpectedly turned up on a flatbed truck to play “Brown Sugar”.

After a couple of low key warm-up shows in Louisiana the tour took in 44 dates between the 3rd June and the 8th August 1975. They settled into the L.A. Forum for a five night stint from July 9th to 13th and this concert film features the show from July 12th. The footage has now been carefully restored and the sound has been newly mixed by Bob Clearmountain for this first official release of the show.

TRACKLISTING:

1) Introduction* 2) Honky Tonk Women 3) All Down The Line 4) If You Can’t Rock Me / Get Off Of My Cloud 5) Star Star 6) Gimme Shelter 7) Ain’t Too Proud To Beg 8) You Gotta Move 9) You Can’t Always Get What You Want 10) Happy 11) Tumbling Dice 12) It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll 13) Band Intros* 14) Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)* 15) Fingerprint File 16) Angie 17) Wild Horses* 18) That’s Life* 19) Outta Space* 20) Brown Sugar 21) Midnight Rambler 22) Rip This Joint 23) Street Fighting Man 24) Jumpin’ Jack Flash 25) Sympathy For The Devil

*Not available on LP

The Rolling Stones are a band like no other and From The Vault – LA Forum – Live In 1975 shows just why; this is two and a half hours of the best musical entertainment available anywhere.

• 1 month later...

R.I.P. Bobby Keys. A true rock and roll original and a Texas-sized legend. Forget the Rolling Stones...just consider that the man played with Buddy Holly, ferchrissakes! That guarantees rock and roll badass status, right there!

The man played hard and he partied hard...he lived every one of his 70 years to the fullest, no doubt and no complaints.

His passing reminds me how fortunate I was that I bit the bullet and payed the money to see the Stones on their last tour, providing me with one last view of the man and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear him and Mick Taylor trade solos on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". To think I came this close to missing that...thank god I came to my senses.

I hope the bar is well-stocked in heaven.

Yes, musicians with the pedigree of Bobby Keys are few and far between. Funnily enough, I just finished reading his bio a little while back (Every Night's A Saturday Night) and considering all the booze and drugs he did back in the day it's amazing the man lived as long as he did!

The Stones are gonna feel the pinch on this one. Yeah, they can replace Bobby but somebody like that is pretty much irreplaceable. I'd reckon for The Stones losing Bobby Keys -who was about as official as an unofficial member could get- is up there with losing Ian Stewart.

From the BBC:

Bobby Keys: Stones devastated by saxophonist's death

• 2 December 2014
  • From the section Music
_79465387_72591681(1).jpgBobby Keys on saxophone, left, played with The Rolling Stones for many years
The Rolling Stones say they're devastated over the death of Bobby Keys, who played saxophone for them.

On the rock'n'roll scene since the age of 15, Keys played with Buddy Holly, John Lennon and Eric Clapton.

The 70-year-old was most famous for his work with the Stones on the classic track Brown Sugar and their album Exile On Main Street.

The band issued a statement mourning "the loss of their very dear friend and legendary saxophone player".

The statement went on: "Bobby made a unique musical contribution to the band since the 1960s. He will be greatly missed."

Guitarist Keith Richards said: "I have lost the largest pal in the world and I can't express the sense of sadness I feel although Bobby would tell me to cheer up."

Keys featured in Richards' autobiography Life in 2010 and recalled the first time he met the Stones in the mid-1960s.

Like Buddy Holly, Keys was born in the Texas town of Lubbock and had toured with him and his band The Crickets in the 1950s.

But he was not impressed that the Stones had recorded a cover of Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away.

Keys recalled the moment: "I said 'Hey, that was Buddy's song. Who are these pasty-faced, funny-talking, skinny-legged guys to come over here and cash in on Buddy's song?'''

Keys played during the band's Glastonbury headline slot in 2013, although in October he was forced to pull out of dates in New Zealand and Australia due to poor health.

Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter and Radio1Newsbeat on YouTube

Edited by Strider

Very sad to learn of Bobby Keys' passing yesterday. I'm sure Keith is mourning his good friend, who coincidentally was born on the same day and same year.

We're losing good people. Was I the only one who didn't know Jack Bruce passed away in October?!

How is this for a Christmas present? Of course, you might have to mortgage the house to afford it.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02616/facts.the_rolling_stones.htm

You have to hand it to Taschen...they really know how to pull out all the stops. If I had the $10,000 to blow, I am not sure which special Art Edition I would get...maybe the Ethan Russell cover or the Guy Webster.

• 1 month later...

^^^

Oh, don't get me wrong, Keith's a great storyteller, it's just that the idea of "Keith Richards writing a children's book" seems like a bad joke from a late night TV chat show host or something. Hell, I'll probably read the damn thing at some point...I couldn't give a toss about Madge's kiddie book though!