Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

All I have to say is:

:hysterical:

The Stones peaked in the studio in 1971/72, and as a live band in 1973.

"Ron Wood....but he can't so he won't." Those thin, weedy attempts at solos kill me... :rolleyes:

The only thing post Taylor that was great was Some Girls. Really a great album. Rock Action, if you read this, what did you once refer to as better than Get yer Ya Yas out? I assume it must be a boot? Because Im sure nothing in the stores is as good. Of course Hot Rocks is the all time must have if you are into the Stones. Covers everything big in studio except for Some Girls and Cant you Hear me Knockin and a few others like Angie.

The only thing post Taylor that was great was Some Girls. Really a great album. Rock Action, if you read this, what did you once refer to as better than Get yer Ya Yas out? I assume it must be a boot? Because Im sure nothing in the stores is as good. Of course Hot Rocks is the all time must have if you are into the Stones. Covers everything big in studio except for Some Girls and Cant you Hear me Knockin and a few others like Angie.

What say you Rock Action?

I am a Stones fan saw them in baton rouge 75 and new orleans 78 and 81 all three shows were good 75 being the best to me.

I caught the 81 show in the Super Dome as well, great show. George Thorogood opened up as I recall. Seems like another band was there too, just can't remember.

There are two well known, superb professional recordings out there. One being the soundtrack to "Ladies & Gentlemen" from 1972, the other a KBFH show from Brussels, 10/17/73, commonly known as "Bedspring Symphony". Those will blow your mind. These are boots, but very easy to acquire.

I recently listened to Aftermath and acquired these:

Black and Blue

It's Only Rock and Roll

Goats Head Soup

Voodoo Lounge

I'm really starting to enjoy the Stones A LOT. Aftermath was pretty damned great, but I downloaded the UK version, and I wanted Satisfaction...but that's ok. It was still great.

I recently listened to Aftermath and acquired these:

Black and Blue

It's Only Rock and Roll

Goats Head Soup

Voodoo Lounge

I'm really starting to enjoy the Stones A LOT. Aftermath was pretty damned great, but I downloaded the UK version, and I wanted Satisfaction...but that's ok. It was still great.

Satisfaction isn't on Aftermath anyway. It's from "Out Of Our Heads".

Those are all very decent choices, even Voodoo Lounge. VL is the last great Stones album. You'll enjoy those!

I've seen the stones 5 times the last was voodoo lounge 2x once in Birmingham, AL

and once in the Superdome. I had wanted to see them in a stadium setting is why I went to Bham. I hadn't had that great of a sound experience in the dome, but I have to say this time was a totally diff. experience. They had just revamped the sound system and stage arrangement and it was amazing. I don't remember how far into the show it was but right after they just finished playing "I go wild"( where there is a bit of a drum solo which charlie streached out a little from the studio version. He didn't miss a beat.)

Jager introduced the band members, when he said Mr. Charlie Watts the crowd gave him a ten min standing ovation and started chanting "Charlie Charlie Charlie" Ha Ha Ha

Jager turned to charlie and pointed to the crowd and Keith was laughing!

That was one of my favorite concert moments.

While Voodoo Lounge definitely has some good songs, I still think Steel Wheels is the best of their latter day material. Then again, I also like A Bigger Bang. It's no masterwork by any means but I still enjoy listening to it.

None of those are really BAD as such. Steel Wheels does have a couple of killers- on "Hold On To Your Hat", Keef really tears it up on LEAD guitar where he now belongs, "Terrifying" is a real cool groove. But a lot of the album sounds rather tinny to these ears. Voodoo Lounge is a much warmer sounding album, and Mick sings LIKE HE FUCKING MEANS IT on this one. A close comparison would be like comparing Robert's "Manic Nirvana" with "Fate Of Nations". The latter is a warmer, more soulful body of works.

A Bigger Bang? Not really a BAD album per se. A fun listen. But it sounds like they're now just phoning it in. On autopilot.

It's time for Keef to fire up the Winos and get back to the GROOVE that is Keith Fuckin' Richards.

A Bigger Bang? Not really a BAD album per se. A fun listen. But it sounds like they're now just phoning it in. On autopilot.

I can't say I get that impression from that record at all, same for their live shows. Then again I find that most of the people that think the Stones should hang it up haven't even seen them in concert, they're going by what the press says without actually forming their own opinion.

It's time for Keef to fire up the Winos and get back to the GROOVE that is Keith Fuckin' Richards.

You get no argument from me there, as rough as his voice may sound at times I love the Keith solo records much more than anything the Stones have done studio-wise in recent years.

I caught the 81 show in the Super Dome as well, great show. George Thorogood opened up as I recall. Seems like another band was there too, just can't remember.

I dont remmeber either .I think i wrote it on the back of my stub i will look when i get home Tuesday .Yes i am still offshore.I know the meters played with them in 75 and billy preston was playing keyboards with them.In 78 it was Van Halen and the Doobie Brothers

I can't say I get that impression from that record at all, same for their live shows. Then again I find that most of the people that think the Stones should hang it up haven't even seen them in concert, they're going by what the press says without actually forming their own opinion.

That's true to a large degree, but I did see them live in 2002, in Ft. Lauderdale. And of course I enjoyed the show. But would I spend the kind of coin they charge to see them again? No. Their live show basically hasn't changed since 1989, save for the setlist.

Now- if they played in a small venue, and ONLY THE STONES THEMSELVES without all the Sideshow Bob stuff, I'd still go see 'em. No question. That would be a fun gig.

That's true to a large degree, but I did see them live in 2002, in Ft. Lauderdale. And of course I enjoyed the show. But would I spend the kind of coin they charge to see them again? No. Their live show basically hasn't changed since 1989, save for the setlist.

Now- if they played in a small venue, and ONLY THE STONES THEMSELVES without all the Sideshow Bob stuff, I'd still go see 'em. No question. That would be a fun gig.

I think that would be every Stones' fan's dream, to see them in a much more intimate setting. As for the sideshow stuff, I think that kinda of goes along with the territory of a Stones show, it just wouldn't be the same without it. Having said that, the last show I saw (Bigger Bang Tour) wasn't real big on that kind of thing. They had the condo thing onstage with audience members in it and some pyro, otherwise it wasn't real big on the "spectacular" stuff. On the Voodoo Lounge tour they had screens showing movies and giant blow up dolls that inflated as the show went along. That was much more of a spectacle than the Bigger Bang show I saw.

Why didnt they do a medley or play something from Some Girls instead of beating Satisfaction to death?

If there's anything I hate, it's bands doing medleys. On rare occasions they work but very, very rarely. It seems to smack of a band headed straight to Vegas (or Branson).

Personally I think they peaked in about 69/74 (just listen to the live stuff from that era especially 72/3).

Saw them a couple of times in 76 (Earls Court and Knebworth), they were good but didn't compare to the earlier stuff, Mick Taylor was a much better guitarist than Ron Wood and I think they lost that edge after he went.

Still some good stuff came out but just not as good IMHO.

Andy

Personally I think they peaked in about 69/74 (just listen to the live stuff from that era especially 72/3).

Saw them a couple of times in 76 (Earls Court and Knebworth), they were good but didn't compare to the earlier stuff, Mick Taylor was a much better guitarist than Ron Wood and I think they lost that edge after he went.

Still some good stuff came out but just not as good IMHO.

Andy

That's pretty much my opinion as well. They have put out some real good stuff in the .Ron Wood era.. but not enough to make me want to go see them live....although as Rock Action say's, a small venue would certainly be enough to change my mind

Stones Reveal 'Shine A Light' Track List

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003715392

rolling_stones_the_02l.gif

Rolling Stones

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The track list has been revealed for "Shine a Light," the soundtrack to Marin Scorsese's upcoming Rolling Stones documentary. The collection arrives April 1 via Interscope.

"Shine a Light" will be available as a 16-track single-disc and as a 22-track double-disc, as well as in USB form. The expanded edition includes every song from the film as well as the bonus cuts "Paint It Black," "Little T&A," "Shine a Light" and "I'm Free."

As previously reported, "Shine a Light" was recorded Oct. 29 and Nov. 1, 2006, at New York's Beacon Theatre. Among the guests are Buddy Guy, Jack White and Christina Aguilera.

The film is scheduled to premiere in New York just prior to the soundtrack release, and in London shortly thereafter. It opens April 4 in the U.S., where it will be presented in IMAX.

Here are the track lists for "Shine a Light":

Double disc:

Disc one:

"Jumping Jack Flash"

"Shattered"

"She Was Hot"

"All Down the Line"

"Loving Cup"

"As Tears Go By"

"Some Girls"

"Just My Imagination"

"Faraway Eyes"