Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Why the man who saved Keith Richards after he fell out of coconut tree now tours with the Rolling Stones

By RICHARD SIMPSON

The Daily Mail (UK)

February 19th 2008

Keith Richards refers to him as "my head man". And for once the term is entirely accurate.

Brain surgeon Andrew Law has been part of the Rolling Stones entourage for almost two years since performing a lifesaving operation to drill into Richards's skull after he fell out of a coconut tree.

At first, he remained beside the wrinkly rocker at the insistence of the band's insurers.

But he has since become 64-year- old Richards's constant companion and is now treated as a member of the family - as well as being on the Stones' payroll.

The reason, according to the 41-year-old New Zealander, is probably that Richards appreciates the chance to talk to someone outside the rock 'n' roll circle.

"I don't think he's run into too many neurosurgeons and I haven't run into too many rock stars."

Richards suffered his accident in April 2006 while on holiday in Fiji during a break in the Stones' A Bigger Bang world tour.

He and fellow-guitarist Ronnie Wood were trying to climb the tree when he fell to the ground, hitting his head.

He suffered a blood clot in the brain and was airlifted to Auckland's private MercyAscot Hospital, where Mr Law was called in to assess him at 2am.

"I wasn't too impressed being up at this time," he said.

"So I just said, 'What the f*** have you been up to?' I think that broke the ice. He just laughed."

Mr Law said the surgery required was far from minor.

"He was really unwell. I told him, 'I might kill you today' - he was very aware of it. He had to put his life in my hands."

Richards not only survived, but within six weeks was well enough to rejoin the world tour.

Insurers demanded Mr Law go along as well and he travelled with the group through Italy, Austria and Germany.

He now lives with Richards, his wife Patti Hansen and their family, dividing their time between homes in Connecticut and West Sussex.

"We go out and have fish and chips and a beer," he said.

Mr Law has received a rare insight into the "bizarre" lifestyle of Richards, Mick Jagger and the rest of the band.

They are regularly mobbed by fans and paparazzi, and have to be smuggled by bodyguards into cars at the back entrances of hotels.

"They know it's bizarre," he said.

"They are funny, clever people. Keith is a very strong-willed, intelligent, very cool and clever guy and incredibly brave. And he made me laugh."

He added that Richards's star quality was obvious. "He has style. Even when he just gets up to make some eggs and a piece of toast."

At the Stones' LA concert at Dodger Stadium in November 2006, Richards found a unique way to thank Mr Law, telling the crowd of 50,000 that he wouldn't have been there without him.

"He's from New Zealand and he's my head man, you know what I mean? He fixed the thing."

The surgeon said he responded just as Richards would have expected. "I just said, 'You cheeky b*****d"'."

I caught the 81 show in the Super Dome as well, great show. George Thorogood opened up as I recall. Seems like another band was there too, just can't remember.

dont recall either heres the 75 ticket the meters opened i believe and billy preston played keyboards and sing a couple of his songs

STONES75BATONROUGE.jpg

dont recall either heres the 75 ticket the meters opened i believe and billy preston played keyboards and sing a couple of his songs

STONES75BATONROUGE.jpg

That dumb ass Keith Richards has me so mad that i wish I never created this thread. He is a horses ass. how dare he put down Led Zeppelin or Jagger, the man who made him into a legend instead of an average run of the mill guitar player. If I had his money I would have had 30 face lifts. And took some guitar lessons from Page. Sack of shit that he is. Come back Taylor.

What sounds like rap or hip-hop? On "The Rain Falls Down" the second verse go's into a rap rythme. It's very obvious to me. I think people are so used to rap & hip-hop that they don't realise it's there. The Stones obviously did this to cash in on that audiance.

Can't say I ever noticed that. If they indeed did do something like that to "cash in on that audience" did they also do the same thing when they made forays into country, disco, reggae, r & b and other styles they've explored over the years? If so, would Led Zeppelin (or any artist for that matter) also be guilty of the same ting?

Led Zeppelin hasn't done anything that low. Theyv'e seemed to have more integrity.

How is incorparating bits of rap and hip hop in one's music considered "low"? Lots of artists outside of rap and hip hop have done it, oftentimes to great effect. By the same token, when rap and hip hop artists incorporate bits of rock (as well other styles) into their music, is that also considered "low"?

That's part of my point, it seems like rap & hip-hop are finding their way into all kinds of music these days.

So, what if it does? All genres of music eventually cross paths, it's only natural. Should country and blues have never merged? If not, we wouldn't have rock n' roll. I don't think the Stones (or any artist for that matter) incorporating rap or hip hop into their sound is nearly as sinister as you make it out to be. Sure, some may be better at than others but that doesn't mean it's purely about sales. As I mentioned, incorporating other styles of music into their sound is something the Stones have done all along.

Anyone for this album by the lads??!!!!! :)

THEIRMAJESTIESSATANICREQUESTalbumco.jpg

This is definitely one of their quirkiest albums, with plenty of filler. BUT- songs like Citadel, 2000 Light Years From Home, Dandelion, She's A Rainbow (with JPJ, no less!) make it well worth having. Citadel is my personal favorite. It's a real barn burner!

The buttom line is rap is not pleasing to my ears. I think it sounds down right dorky. Even the hip-hop Fashons look dorky to me. The drooping pants thing for example. They would look cooler wearing a pink tu-tu.

I'm with you on that one. But with that said, there are people that think Zep sucks. They're wrong, but just sayin'...

I'm with you on that one. But with that said, there are people that think Zep sucks. They're wrong, but just sayin'...

Well guy, at least Joelman sent me my copy of O2. Still waiting for that Stones boot. But now keith has me so pissed I dont know if I really want it. I still love the music. But I am officially off the Keith Richards fan list -but will always love Jagger. Unless he retracts his dumb ass remarks which he never will. Ill always respect him as a songwriter first, but never as a guitarist.

The buttom line is rap is not pleasing to my ears. I think it sounds down right dorky. Even the hip-hop Fashons look dorky to me. The drooping pants thing for example. They would look cooler wearing a pink tu-tu.

I'm pretty sure folks felt the same way about the hippies and any radical change in fashion but none of that is my point. I'm referring to the way diverse musical styles (including rap) have been fused over the years. If there were no such innovations or pioneering in music it would remain stagnant and pretty unexciting to listen to. I never thought I would ever care for scratching but the way the North Mississippi All-Stars do it, it doesn't bother me at all. Plant has also used elements of trance and trip hop in his work with The Strange Sensation (influenced by Portishead, no doubt). It's that sort of thing that keeps me coming back and forever interested in music. Having a closed mind about rap (or any other type of music) would get me nowhere.

Edited by Jahfin

I'm pretty sure folks felt the same way about the hippies and any radical change in fashion but none of that is my point. I'm referring to the way diverse musical styles (including rap) have been fused over the years. If there were no such innovations or pioneering in music it would remain stagnant and pretty unexciting to listen to. I never thought I would ever care for scratching but the way the North Mississippi All-Stars do it, it doesn't bother me at all. Plant has also used elements of trance and trip hop in his work with The Strange Sensation (influenced by Portishead, no doubt). It's that sort of thing that keeps me coming back and forever interested in music. Having a closed mind about rap (or any other type of music) would get me nowhere.

I must admit I'm impressed by your open mindedness. Alas, I have no such patience. But I do try to be respectful of all artists, even if I don't like them. That's something, I guess...

I must admit I'm impressed by your open mindedness. Alas, I have no such patience. But I do try to be respectful of all artists, even if I don't like them. That's something, I guess...

I'm the same way. There may be some artists out there who's music I don't particularly care but that doesn't mean I hate them. As I've mentioned, I'm also no fan of rap but if people think of ways to ingeniously work it into their music, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Am I supposed to hate Roll the Bones just because Rush makes a nod to rap during it? Hell nah.

Edited by Jahfin

I'm the same way. There may be some artists out there who's music I don't particularly care but that doesn't mean I hate them. As I've mentioned, I'm also no fan of rap but if people think of ways to ingeniously work into their music, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Am I supposed to hate Roll the Bones just because Rush makes a nod to rap during it? Hell nah.

You don't have to LIKE an artist to appreciate their abilities.

I agree but we see examples of just the opposite of that on this site (and others) each and every day. Their loss.

Agreed. Led Zeppelin certainly would not have been what they were without a lot of diverse artists providing inspiration. If they would have ignored the values of soul and country for example, imagine what we'd be missing.

Music is stagnant and unexciting to listen to right now because of rap. Rap is todays pop. Everybody wants in on the money it brings.

I'm not sure what music you're listening to but I find nothing "stagnant and unexciting" about today's music. If you don't like the music that uses rap as an element, don't listen to it. Same for rap itself. Like I said, I'm not even a fan of rap myself, therefore I don't listen to it. I just don't see as some kind of instant moneymaker if someone uses rap in their music like you do. Sounds a bit paranoid to me.

There's no comparison between the hippies or the early days of rock n' roll or what have you and rap.

My mention of hippies had to do with fashion, not rap itself. As for the comparion of rap and the early days of rock n' roll there's lots of comparisons, very valid ones. Just look at how rock n' roll was initially received by the establishment. People wanted it banned, burned records, refused to allow Elvis shown from the waist up on TV, swore it was a detriment to society, people said it was only a passing fad, etc. Lots of the same criticisms have been leveled at rap and they're no more valid than the ones surrounding rock n' roll.

Rap isn't about music it's about following the crowd.

How is rap about "following the crowd"?

It's rediculous. Rap is no more an innovation in music than cheep bumpers are an innovation in cars.

It is indeed an innovation rather you chose to acknowledge it or not. Lots of artists have incorporated rap into the sound of their music, some more successfully than others but it's been embraced by nearly every facet of the music community. Even Jimmy Page has collaborated with at least one rap artist. So have R.E.M. Rush have used rap in their music. There's tons of others, that's just the tip of the iceberg.