Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Promo trailer:

The first official document of the Stones 1978 Some Girls tour. Wow!

I am seriously looking forward to this! The Stones have so many pro-shot concerts they have yet to release

that I've lost count, this one will be a real treat, no doubt.

The DVD trailer looks amazing. I can't wait to eat this one up.

Edited by snapper

I am excited about the Some Girls DVD and they are also coming out with this:

STONES TO RELEASE DELUXE EDITION OF SOME GIRLS

Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

There’s no word yet if The Rolling Stones will mark their 50th anniversary next year but one thing that is definitely happening is a deluxe re-issue of their classic 1978 album, Some Girls. Mick Jagger revealed to Spinner.com that, much like they did last year with Exile on Main Street, there will be an extra disc of material filled with outtakes along with the remastered album. It’s due out around Thanksgiving. As for those 50th anniversary celebrations, Jagger would only say they are discussing it.

The Stones have been doing it for nearly half a century.

IMO, after Brian Jones "left", they became an above average blues band, which, when he started the Stones were an exceptional blues band and a hell of a lot more creative.

They did some great stuff with Mick Taylor and occasionally with Ron Wood but nothing compared to the Jones era.

'Let it Bleed" becoming the pivotal point,Reg.Which is one of my picks for best Stones album.But with the death of Brian Jones,Altamont and the smell of a few things that were on the nose at the time,including the 60's era of bands and those who would be famous toying with the occult,there was definite change that had to happen if The Stones were to continue.

I think Dylan is a fine example of someone that meets the criteria of "selling out", a least as far as television commercials are concerned but he emerged with his dignity intact. Or more accurately, he just doesn't give a shit what people think.

Then, on the other hand you have Neil Young and R.E.M., both of whom refuse to allow their songs to be used in commercials and have so far been successful at that.

good point, but there were some hardcore r.E.M. fans that felt they "sold out" when The One I Love climbed the Billboard charts back in 1985, lol

'Let it Bleed" becoming the pivotal point,Reg.Which is one of my picks for best Stones album.But with the death of Brian Jones,Altamont and the smell of a few things that were on the nose at the time,including the 60's era of bands and those who would be famous toying with the occult,there was definite change that had to happen if The Stones were to continue.

Much of their early work with Brian Jones was doing great covers of old blues songs, but as Andrew Oldham said; "How many great obscure songs are you gonna find?" I think Let It Bleed showed as much maturity as any of their previous work.

Much of their early work with Brian Jones was doing great covers of old blues songs, but as Andrew Oldham said; "How many great obscure songs are you gonna find?" I think Let It Bleed showed as much maturity as any of their previous work.

As you thought that may be up to personal opinion,as previous songs "Sympathy for the devil"&"Street fighting man" were to my way of thinking not absolutely beaten by "Gimme shelter","Midnight Rambler","Monkey Man" etc.Also,with the inclusion of Mick Taylor from then on,understandably the music changed.But as I said in my previous post,it was an era of change too.

As you thought that may be up to personal opinion,as previous songs "Sympathy for the devil"&"Street fighting man" were to my way of thinking not absolutely beaten by "Gimme shelter","Midnight Rambler","Monkey Man" etc.Also,with the inclusion of Mick Taylor from then on,understandably the music changed.But as I said in my previous post,it was an era of change too.

For my money the Get Yer Ya, Ya's Out version of "Sympathy" beats the original. I'll say the same for Street Fighting Man. Mick Taylor's part on both was superb. One of the things I judge remastered versions of Ya' Ya's on is Taylor's guitar on "Street Fighting Man" and unfortunately no CD has done justice to it when compared to the original LP. I'd say my all time favorite guitar solo is the one on the Ya' Ya's version of "Sympathy". The guitars on that version make it more a guitar song as oppose to a Mick Jagger antics song.

Edited by Gospel Zone

This from Rolling Stones confidant and author Bill German (his insider's book, 'Under Their Thumb', truly is essential reading!):

As autumn approaches and the leaves turn brown, there is much uncertainty about the future of the Rolling Stones. The four of them met in London two weeks ago, but they're not divulging how it went or what they discussed.

Will the band's 50th anniversary next year motivate them to hit the road? Maybe, maybe not. At the very least, they're delivering some new product to us this fall.

For more facts and more speculation, visit Beggars Banquet Online's News page:

http://www.beggarsbanquetonline.com/news.htm

Meanwhile, Chicago-area fans will soon have a chance to chat about the band and to hear some unique Stones anecdotes. I'll be discussing (and signing copies of) "Under Their Thumb" at five public libraries around the windy city, from October 16th to the 20th. If you live in Chicagoland, I'd love to meet you. Exact dates and locations are listed at

http://www.billgerman.com/events.html

Happy fall, y'all!

Bill German

PS: I admit it. I've got issues. Back issues of Beggars Banquet, that is. Dating as far back as 1984. Free shipping to anywhere in the US and Canada. Check it out at http://www.beggarsbanquetonline.com/issues.htm

PPS: Parlez-vous francais? The French version of "Under Their Thumb" comes out in France this week. Available in all major bookstores there.

For my money the Get Yer Ya, Ya's Out version of "Sympathy" beats the original. I'll say the same for Street Fighting Man. Mick Taylor's part on both was superb. One of the things I judge remastered versions of Ya' Ya's on is Taylor's guitar on "Street Fighting Man" and unfortunately no CD has done justice to it when compared to the original LP. I'd say my all time favorite guitar solo is the one on the Ya' Ya's version of "Sympathy". The guitars on that version make it more a guitar song as oppose to a Mick Jagger antics song.

I love live Stones too,but live versus studio?

Only personal choice can win that one.

The other night I picked up 'Super Heavy', the new band/cd featuring Mick Jagger. I'm not into reggae music to begin with, and then at one minute into the album I encounter what to me is an obvious steal of the opening guitar riff from A Flock of Seagull's 1980's smash 'I Ran'. WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfFbCKLi1V4

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that most of the outtakes are going the similar route like Exile, unfinished masters or demos that Mick wrote and sang new vocals for. The tune Jahfin posted sounded pretty good to me.......

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-rolling-stones-some-girls-super-deluxe-edition-live-in-texas-blu-ray/

I love how their throw away songs from back then are better than any thing they could write today.

That song sounds more like something they did write today. It has that rhythm that indicates Mick has been listening to crap.

I read somewhere that most of the outtakes are going the similar route like Exile, unfinished masters or demos that Mick wrote and sang new vocals for.

That's what I was afraid of.

Like the USA's credit rating, the Stones have been down graded.

Edited by Gospel Zone