Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

I think the Stones have limited control over their old London/ABKCO label music so the record company and Klein estate released this. No doubt the Stones must have approved it but yeah, it is strange there's never been a box set from Exile going forward.

I think ABKCO has done a better job of issuing the Stones than the Stones themselves have. As to how limited of control anyone has over the London/ABKCO recordings, it's not as limited as the Stones own inept greed. Just compare the ABKCO singles sets with the Rolling Stones-The Singles: 1971-2006. ABKCO at least tried successfully to get most the original mixes that were used on the singles while the Stones went with the stereo album versions.

As good as I believe the Some Girls Deluxe is, it didn't have this..............long ago in a galaxy far far away I owned this and I never was a fan of remixes. An evening or two in either a disco or a dance club back then, well you had to make the purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsibHTOXPLM

There was also a Bob Clearmountain mix of "Before They Make Me Run" that was issued on a promo 45 around the fall of '78, right around the time they issued Keith's "Run Rudolph Run" 45.

You won't get unreleased quality bootleg (true bootleg) material until either Keith or Mick pass on. Besides, didn't you like the Exile issue when it first came out? I thought you posted here that you did?

Maybe not, either way though there is a ton of Stones boots out there, a lot of it really really good. All is not lost.

Well I was drop dead wrong here. I just downloaded the "Brussels Affair" show from their new archives website. They offer mp3 and FLAC formats...........great show, awesome fidelity.........I'm very happy.

Well I was drop dead wrong here. I just downloaded the "Brussels Affair" show from their new archives website. They offer mp3 and FLAC formats...........great show, awesome fidelity.........I'm very happy.

I just downloaded it too & it's amazing. I had it on cassette years ago which I taped off the radio of all places from the King Biscuit Flower Hour in the 80's. For those who are unaware the download is preceded with an interview by both Mick & Keith discussing the show & why they have decided to release it in a download format. Supposedly there is more to come too. Today I was listening to the CD issue of the Some Girls DVD from the deluxe package & the Brussels download & those are probably my 2 favorite pieces of music I've heard all year (though Brussels edge's the former out simply for Mick Taylor & Bobby Keys).

Mick and Keith to pay for Hubert Sumlin's funeral

Date: December 8, 2011

In an act of admiration and generosity, Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are going to pay for the funeral of Hubert Sumlin.

Sumlin's partner Toni Ann has posted, 'I just wanted to share with you, Hubert's loving fans, that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have insisted on picking up the full expenses for Hubert's funeral. God Bless the Rolling Stones'.

Hubert Sumlin died on December 4 at the age of 80. Sumlin was one of the last great Chicago blues artists. He was the guitarist for Howlin' Wolf and last year appeared with Kenny Wayne Shepherd on his Live In Chicago album.

Keith Richards played on Sumlin's 2006 album Them Shoes.

A private service will be held in Homewood, Illinois on December 13. A public service for fans will be held on December 12 at 10am at the Festa Memorial Funeral Home in Totowa, New Jersey. There will also be a public viewing at the funeral home on December 11 between 2 and 4pm and 7 and 9pm.

Mick Jagger said today, 'Hubert was an incisive yet delicate blues player. He had a really distinctive and original tone and was a wonderful foil for Howlin' Wolf's growling vocal style. On a song like Goin' Down Slow he could produce heart-rending emotion, and on a piece like Wang Dang Doodle an almost playful femininity. He was an inspiration to us all.'

In announcing his death, Toni Ann said in a statement, 'It is with a heavy heart that the worse has come to fruition. My little Hubert is living the life of a real angel. I'm overwhelmed with grief and so I really need to pull myself together. I'd really appreciate it if you would kindly respect our privacy during this most difficult time.

'I love you Hubert. You are eternally etched in my heart. And my life is not only richer and blessed for who you've been to me, but the world over. And I will never be the same because of you. May you be forever in God's beautiful grace.

'I'll spend the rest of my days loving and cherishing all you are and were to me'.

There's a nice feature on '70s Stones' in this month's Mojo. Nothing new, but a pleasant read. Also features an amusing pic of Brenda in a punk 'Destroy' t-shirt :hysterical: . Who was he trying to kid?

He also wears that shirt in the recently released 'Some Girls Live' concert dvd.

I just thought this was really great

ROLLING STONES MICK JAGGER AND KEITH RICHARDS PAYING FOR HUBERT SUMLIN’S FUNERAL

Hubert-and-Stones.jpg

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are picking up the full expenses of electric blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin’s funeral. Sumlin, the guitarist for Howlin’ Wolf, passed away of heart failure on Dec. 4 and was one of the last great Chicago blues artists. Sumlin was a formative influence on the Rolling Stones — particularly Richards, who played on Sumlin’s ‘About Them Shoes,’ released in 2006.

According to an earlier report, Jagger said that “Hubert was an incisive yet delicate blues player. He had a really distinctive and original tone and was a wonderful foil for Howlin’ Wolf’s growling vocal style. On a song like ‘Goin’ Down Slow’ he could produce heart-rending emotion, and on a piece like ‘Wang Dang Doodle’ an almost playful femininity. He was an inspiration to us all.”

Sumlin’s manager and partner Toni Ann expressed that she is overwhelmed with grief and that Sumlin will be eternally etched in her heart. In response to this loving gesture from Jagger and Richards, she replied “God Bless the Rolling Stones.”

Sumlin’s public service will be held at the Festa Memorial Funeral Home in Totowa, N.J., on Dec. 12 at 10 AM ET, with a private service to take place the following day in Homewood, Ill.

If you check out www.stonesnews.com apparently Mick Taylor is also in London with the rest of the band. Don't know how credible the site is though.

I also found this article: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/11/keith-richards-invites-bill-wyman-and-mick-taylor.html

Edited by tom kid

From Stonesnews.com...

"By now, we have some credible reports from people in the know.

It looks like the sessions took place in Chelsea, London between December 6th and 8th. Mick also joind in, but only on the last day as he was having an appointment in Paris. Bill Wyman was there on all three days and according to his tour manager, he was enjoying himself very much. Ben Waters also joined in. However, Mick Taylor wasn't seen in Chelsea at the sessions.

The music was just some loose blues jams and there was no recording done during those three days. What could have feared by some didn't happen - Keith and Mick went along with each other very well. Now, that's promising, isn't it?

[thx gazza (ro), Paul]

So far - so very good. Still no concrete (i.e. official) tour plans, but most of the news we hear points to some kind of tour. Of cause, there will be some DVD covering their 50 years in the business. And lot's of otgher things will surely happen. Only the scope and time of some future gigs or a tour is still left uncertain."

Sucks about Mick Taylor apparently not being there though.

If MT's not involved, they can blow it out their ass as far as I'm concerned.

But we shouldn't be too down about MT not being at the rehearsal. He has probably spent the past 37 years regretting his decision to quit, and playing along to classic-era Stones songs everyday, in case he should ever get The Call. So he probably still knows all the songs inside-out, and wouldn't need to rehearse with the others. Compare that to Woody, who strikes me as the kind of guy who has to spend a few hours every month re-learning Jumping Jack Flash.

I can play "Jumpin' Jack Flash" better than Ron Wood.

When I saw the Stones back in 2005 I thought Wood was way better than I expected him to be. They didn't play Time Waits though but they did do a killer version of Midnight Rambler.............

All things considered I'd still much rather see Mick Taylor with them again, they were a different band with him.