Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Unbeknownst to anyone at the time, when Mick Taylor left the Stones he took their credibility with him. Metaphorically speaking, if rock 'n' roll was whiskey the current Rolling Stones would be selling booze of the watered down variety and Ron Wood's inability to play this stuff is only part of the problem.

The only good thing I can say about Woody off hand is, for a Strat player he does have nice tone.

Edited by Gospel Zone

I don't think Wood is that bad a player, he made his presence known early but seems to have vanished over time. Personally speaking I'm disappointed how it all turned out. He was such a distinctive guitarist with Faces and those early Rod Stewart solo records. I thought he'd bring that to the Stones but he never really did.

For whatever reason the dynamic of the band changed. RW and KR were explosive when KR guested with the Faces and later in New Barbarians. There were moments in The Stones but as things progressed from the outside looking in it appears they made a decision to reign it in. That said I don't think it was a detriment to the sound. I love what they did Some Girls through Dirty Work.

That must be the case because everything I read online has Stones fans the world over all clamoring for Taylor to play again with them in 2012 if they do this tour. That's a great legacy to have, people haven't forgotten how it used to be.

Major: Wood also ripped on YCAGWYW when I saw them too. That seems to be Wood's showcase on stage, his bit in the spotlight. I still wish the Woody from Faces would finally show up though.

Yes more or less that's true. I really liked his tone with Faces, you could tell it was him before you ever heard a vocal. That vanished too once he joined the Stones.

There's a tune from the album Black and Blue called "Hey Negrita" which he played on even though he wasn't officially a member yet. I don't know if you've ever heard that but that was sort of the kind of thing I was hoping from him. That never further materialized either.

I have quite a few live Faces DVD's. Did the unmentionable and paid for what are clearly bootlegs but justfied it after years of not seeing a single clip. The SFS was one, this was about ten years ago before it made the rounds on TV. I also have a complete '73 show, the '70 Marquee show, a '71 show and bits and pieces of some other early stuff. Of course I have the commercially available Faces DVD's too. All show Wood in fine form.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie was interviewed on BBC radio 6 a few days ago, this is what he had to say on the prospect of doing some shows next year:

"It would be lovely next year to do some shows because it will be fifty years.

Ronnie plays, I still play, Mick sings, he can do it anyway, I think Keith is doing some records [...]

Anyway it would be great if we did, we are just getting to an age where it's getting a bit difficult to get it together and it's such a bloody performance getting us together."

Edited by tom kid

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Stones concerts in Buffalo both in 1975 and 1980. The 1975 concert was opened by the Outlaws. Was anyone at that show? If so, I believe Billy Preston was on keyboards? Does anyone remember this?

By the way, this thread was started by me in 2007 and that is my playing the guitar in the photo. I was originally Icantquityoubabe.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

• 4 weeks later...

Thames & Hudson to celebrate Stones' 50th anniversary

02.03.12 | Charlotte Williams

Thames & Hudson is celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Rolling Stones by publishing a title drawing on the Daily Mirror's archive of photographs of the group, and with all band members—Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts—contributing material.

The Rolling Stones: 50 has an initial print run of 250,000 copies worldwide, and will be a £29.95 hardback, with 700 illustrations (300 in colour). The title will be released on 12th July—exactly 50 years since the band's first public appearance, at the Marquee Club on Oxford Street, central London. The book will include archive photos from the Mirror, as well as never-before-seen memorabilia, with the project to be overseen by Watts, and each band member writing content to tell the band's story.

To support publication, the Mirror will run daily stories on the Stones over the week beginning 8th July, with T&H head of illustrated reference Tristan de Lancey saying: "We'll be inviting booksellers around the country to celebrate with the Stones by providing branded packs for them to throw birthday parties and create anniversary displays."

Other publishers are also marking the anniversary, with Simon & Schuster's The Rolling Stones: Fifty Years - written by Christopher Sandford, who has already written biographies of Jagger and Richards -to be released as a £20 hardback on 26th April. Titles already out include Omnibus Press' Butterfly on a Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust by Simon Wells (pb, £14.95), and Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Rock by Howard Kramer (Krause Publications, hb, £20).

I love that entire band! I got into them kind of late but I still hope to see them make one more bash across the USA! I thought Mick Taylor was very good and did a good job of filling in for the founder, Brian Jones! I am listening to these official live releases:

"Flashpoint" - from the live Steel Wheels Tour 1989-1990....very good!

"The Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang"...an official release from some of the shows from that tour.