Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

As for why tickets sell out now even when they are priced sky-high, there are several factors.

1. Many of these tix are bought by scalpers, professional and amateur alike, looking to make a killing on the secondary market.

2. This ties in with #1...there will always be enough rich yuppies and retirees and corporate types who use a Stones concert as a lure to woo a client. Go to any Stones show nowadays and a significant percentage of the audience are lawyers, agents, CEOs, and other business muckety-mucks taking clients or potential clients to the concert and later writing off the cost as a business expense. That's why contemporary Stones concert audiences are lame and boring...it's a bunch of rich entitled jerks who just want to hear "Satisfaction" and pretend they're rebels. They're about as rock and roll as a Brooks Brothers suit.

3. Another sizable segment of a Stones concert since 1989 is made up of families...moms and dads taking their kids or even grandparents and grandkids, all in a bid to recapture those fading days of youth and the last glowing embers of the 60s. A writer made a good point in 1981 and it is just as true now, maybe even truer...the Stones are the last band standing. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd are not fully functioning bands...whether due to death, personal conflicts or whatever. The Rolling Stones are all that's left of the major groups that formed the backbone of the "classic rock" era. So they are the beneficiary of all the pentup love and nostalgia for that time that people have. To all the old hippies, or people that wished they could have lived in the 60s, going to a Stones concert is just about all they have left.

4. The Stones branding is second to none...only Kiss is in their league as far as selling their name and image on everything from here to Timbuktu. So generations and generations of people have been brainwashed with the slogan of The Rolling Stones as the 'world's greatest rock and roll band', when they bear not the slightest resemblance to the band that forged that reputation from 1962-73. So there's always gonna be people who go just so they can say they went to a Stones concert, even though they couldn't name 5 songs. They just have heard they're the 'world's greatest rock n roll band' and that's all that matters. It's the hype and the place to be seen to these people. They couldn't care less about the music.

Plus the Stones are in their late 60's, early 70's and this might be the last time to see them in concert. Just amazing that they have been around for so long.

Plus the Stones are in their late 60's, early 70's and this might be the last time to see them in concert. Just amazing that they have been around for so long.

The funny thing about this is that people have been saying the same thing about the Stones since the 1972 tour. "This could be the LAST TIME!"

They might have even said it in 1969, but it really was a theme on the 1972 tour. They had already been around longer than most bands...10 years...and were over 30, except for Mick Taylor. It was new territory the Stones were in...most acts after awhile became revival acts, playing the county fair and rodeo circuit or package deals with other oldies acts. The idea that a band could go on past 30(remember the 60s slogan "Never trust anyone over 30"?...it was even used to great effect in "Planet of the Apes") and still be creatively viable and not an old nostalgia act was an unknown thing at that time.

Most bands never lasted long enough to test the theory...the Rolling Stones were the first.

That was the real Stones genius...while never as popular or groundbreaking as the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones survived longer than those bands did.

So, like clockwork, every subsequent tour from 1972 on brings with it the concurrent cry: This could be the last time!

Edited by Strider

The Stones are playing a gig in a small venue in Paris for just 15 euro, not sure if it's been or not yet, the time difference from my part of the world gets pretty confusing at times! Also, thought some of you might be interested in this article. http://www.rollingst...eunion-20121024

Apparently Taylor and Wyman are expected to guest on a few songs at the upcoming shows.

Edited by tom kid

The Stones are playing a gig in a small venue in Paris for just 15 euro, not sure if it's been or not yet, the time difference from my part of the world gets pretty confusing at times!

Tickets bought for 15 euros are now going for Hundreds. It makes me angry that people with no intention of going buy tickets then sell them for massive profit. Somehow there needs to be a system developed to stop touting/scalping, impossible I know. These days gig prices are high enough without profitering scumbags ripping people off. Trouble is most of the artists hands are tied with the high costs involved in touring. They have to see a return and that is their prority. It does not matter to them if huge blocks of tickets are bought by agencies that resell at over inflated prices. Making a loss is not a option.....Grrrr.

Every time I've ever seen The Stones ( including 80's 90s and noughties) they have been fantastic and I would LOVE to see them again.

However I'm not paying those kind of prices. Tickets were even going for FIFTEEN GRAND on site via Ticketmaster the other day. Unreal.

Paris tonight would have been fab.

I love The Stones, they're a better studio band then a live band. The last tour pretty much sucked, Keith plays less and less while Blondie plays more and more guitar. Compare the playing in 2007 between Keith and Jimmy and Jimmy is light years ahead of him.

They have a set of balls charging $800 for back of the arena seats.

I love The Stones, they're a better studio band then a live band. The last tour pretty much sucked, Keith plays less and less while Blondie plays more and more guitar. Compare the playing in 2007 between Keith and Jimmy and Jimmy is light years ahead of him.

They have a set of balls charging $800 for back of the arena seats.

I will never understand how they sold out Newark for two nights that fast for those prices. Are these people fucking nuts? I had reservations in the 70's that they were getting old. Imagine that. Mick Taylor had already left and I had Ron Wood for both events. I think Wood carries Richards on the guitar. Woodie is surely a better lead and slide player. Keith is rythm pretty much. Even in ya ya's perhaps the best guitar they ever did? Taylor was just nuts. I woulld not pay those prices to see them now. Page has aways been light years ahead of any of them. He is in a class of his own. And yes, better than Hendrix.

I will never understand how they sold out Newark for two nights that fast for those prices. Are these people fucking nuts? I had reservations in the 70's that they were getting old. Imagine that. Mick Taylor had already left and I had Ron Wood for both events. I think Wood carries Richards on the guitar. Woodie is surely a better lead and slide player. Keith is rythm pretty much. Even in ya ya's perhaps the best guitar they ever did? Taylor was just nuts. I woulld not pay those prices to see them now. Page has aways been light years ahead of any of them. He is in a class of his own. And yes, better than Hendrix.

It's not sold out....public on sale is manana, and there are plenty of expensive seats left.

The Rolling Stones play surprise gig in Paris

Tonight the Rolling Stones pitched up at a club in the north of Paris for an impromptu secret gig and rocked the house to its foundations.

600 lucky fans packed into the tiny La Trabendo rock club to witness Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood launch through a quick-fire barrage of hits, as well as one or two surprises.

After rehearsing in Paris and recording two new belters, ‘Doom and Gloom’ and ‘One More Shot’, as soon as the band hit the stage it was obvious they were out to have a good time and to celebrate five decades of treading the boards.

Right from the start, The Stones went back to their Marquee Club roots and launched into ‘Route 66’. Mick bantered with the crowd in French whilst Keith Richards cranked out his bluesy licks on ‘It’s Only Rock and Roll’. Then the twin guitars of Ronnie Wood and Keith trading on the Muddy Waters classic ‘Champagne and Reefer’. Charlie Watts, as always, occupied the drum riser with quietly amused dignity whilst emphasising his rock ‘n’ roll credentials throughout the set. Charlie WAS good tonight.

With long term keyboardist Chuck Leavell and bass player Darryl Jones also in tow, the Rolling Stones tore through a set which included ‘Miss You’, ‘Tumbling Dice’, Start Me Up’, ‘Midnight Rambler’ and ‘Jumping Jack Flash’ and the live debut of new single ‘Doom and Gloom’.

Mick Jagger was all frenetic energy, strutting around the stage and working the crowd, whilst his Glimmer Twin Keith Richards proved he is a master guitar player, effortlessly throwing shapes, laughing and joking with the band, foot stomping as always, as he turned out classic riffs. Hissidekick Ronnie shone throughout but especially through the funk of ‘Miss You’.

This was the Rolling Stones stripped bare, a fast rattle through the Stones’ catalogue, drawing upon five decades worth of material, all sounding as fresh as ever.

The crowd – who only paid 15 Euros for their tickets- went wild as the Stones came back on stage for an encore of ‘Jumping Jack Flash’ and ‘Brown Sugar’…a hot and sweaty night, the Stones back where they belong.

They came to Paris, they played, they conquered…and after an hour’ set, they were gone.

Whilst thousands will witness the band on their four arena shows in London and New York later this year, few will get to experience the Stones deliver in such an intimate, sweaty environment – it was a night to remember.

Set List:

Route 66

It’s Only Rock and Roll

Shattered

When The Whip Comes Down

Champagne and Reefer

Doom and Gloom

Miss You

Tumbling Dice

Start Me Up

Midnight Rambler

Jumping Jack Flash

Brown Sugar

http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/10/25/the-rolling-stones-play-surprise-gig-in-paris/

Edited by Ross62

Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor to appear at 50th Anniversary shows.

"The Stones expect former guitarist Mick Taylor (who quit in 1974) and founding bassist Bill Wyman (gone since '93) to come on board for the four shows, but only as guests on a few songs."

Edited by 2bitnogoodjive

Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor to appear at 50th Anniversary shows.

"The Stones expect former guitarist Mick Taylor (who quit in 1974) and founding bassist Bill Wyman (gone since '93) to come on board for the four shows, but only as guests on a few songs."

That makes it a worth see. Incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Strider they still play there and changed the name to Ralph Wilson stadium. Very arrogant in my opinion and just plain stupid. Its always going to be Rich Stadium to me. And then it was 78 I saw them. There at that very stadium and they walked off the stage while it was still daylight, for reasons to this day i will never know. Played an hour and a half and fucked us.

Now they sell out in 7 minutes in Newark for two nights. Prices from $175 to $650 a ticket. Crazy. But they sold out in 7 fucking minutes!!!! Can you believe that shit? At their age? Just imagine how fast Led Zeppelin would sell a tour because there is no doubt in my mind the demand to see them is far higher than the Stones. The Stones have beaten a dead horse to death a hundred times over. I am pretty stunned by this fast sellout with such ridiculous prices. I would not pay $175 to see them in the front fucking row. I saw them in their youth. Why would I pay that kind of money? Its got to either be die hard Stones fans from all over have converged and decided to make the trip to Newark or a curious young crownd that wants to see for themselves what this band is all about? Or perhaps a combination of both? What do you think Strider and Rock Action?

I saw them in 1972, 1975 and 2002. The first two shows I paid something like $8 for a ticket and got a superb show. As being only a teen the low price was really a bonus. Paid $90 for a nosebleed ticket in 2002 and got half the show in half the quality.

What makes people do what they do these days for just a shell of a band is mind blowing. The Stones really haven't "brought it" live since 1978 IMO.

I guess a lot of it could be attributed to their older fans who just can't let go, and younger fans who just want to see a legend firsthand. Me? I'd rather listen to my live 60's and 70's boots.

I've always thought the Stones were less-than-stellar live..I prefer to listen to their studio albums, though I'd like to see them at least once in concert before they croak.

With all due respect, I can't help but feel you never watched "Ladies & Gentlemen" from the 1972 tour, or heard "Brussels Affair" from the 1973 tour....IMO those prove otherwise. Of course that was in their prime, and Mick Taylor was in the band.

With all due respect, I can't help but feel you never watched "Ladies & Gentlemen" from the 1972 tour, or heard "Brussels Affair" from the 1973 tour....IMO those prove otherwise. Of course that was in their prime, and Mick Taylor was in the band.

I've done both of those things..but quite frankly, I couldn't stand them.

My biggest beef is that Jagger sings lyrics in a mixed-up fashion like he cannot remember them almost (A big offender is "Tumbling Dice"), and everything just doesn't sound as strong as it does in-studio. And, for songs like "Sympathy For the Devil" and pretty much all of "Exile On Main Street", the lack of the certain instruments that were used in-studio, lowers the quality of the song. In "Exile"'s case, the lack of background singers and a horn section is what brings the already weak material down.

Another thing is, the Stones rarely bring back up and such on tour, and they never play their best stuff, if they played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" during every show, with the sax and such, as a free form jam, then man, they could probably release an entire album of just different versions of that jam.

Yeah, they were in their prime as a live act then and I'm glad I got to see them when they were.

I've done both of those things..but quite frankly, I couldn't stand them. My biggest beef is that Jagger sings lyrics in a mixed-up fashion like he cannot remember them almost (A big offender is "Tumbling Dice"), and everything just doesn't sound as strong as it does in-studio. And, for songs like "Sympathy For the Devil" and pretty much all of "Exile On Main Street", the lack of the certain instruments that were used in-studio, lowers the quality of the song. In "Exile"'s case, the lack of background singers and a horn section is what brings the already weak material down. Another thing is, the Stones rarely bring back up and such on tour, and they never play their best stuff, if they played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" during every show, with the sax and such, as a free form jam, then man, they could probably release an entire album of just different versions of that jam.

To each their own I guess. :)

If anyone's interested, they are interviewing each member of the band this week on All Things Considered.

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/165033885/keith-richards-these-riffs-were-built-to-last-a-lifetime

Here's Keef... down the page is the link to today's with Charlie Watts. Tomorrow and Friday will be Ron Wood and Mick.

They're going to do a show in the new arena in Brooklyn. I'm sure it will be way out of my price range...