Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

For some reason unknown to me, Page and Plant always chose to avoid the spotlight far more than Jagger and Richards. Musically speaking, Led Zeppelin is light years ahead of them in their playiing ability. Instrumentals and Plant has a voice far better than Mick's. But the Stones are great and effective in their own way. But they are not Led Zeppelin.

Florence Welch was mighty impressive

She sure was...I deliberately avoided checking any youTube footage of the first gig, but now I've actually attended the second night, I'm keen to check Mary J Blige's take on Gimme Shelter for comparison.

Sunday night's performance is up on youTube. I think there's not much to choose between the two singers, but the band's performance seems better on the second night. Could be that I'm comparing actually being there with mobile phone footage, which is not a good idea!

Last night I watched the last part of the 2 hour doco "Crossfire Hurricane" that's been screening here on free-to-air over the last fortnight.There was voice overs from all members,plenty of old and new footage and was captivating throughout.

Get a look at it if you can.

I think the DVD is just a bunch of mobile phone clips, isn't it?

Alas, I've found this is indeed a montage source, at least some of which is circulating on YouTube; the vantage points segue from one track to the next.

It begins from high up on the left side of the arena about half-way back with a distant shot of the stage to capture the complete fan interviews projected on the backdrop - about five minutes - then the drummer's entrance into the crowd. It zooms in on Mick and the guys as they huddle at the back of the stage waiting for the "please welcome..." announcement. Have not seen that particular segment on YouTube...but it could be.

I was hoping for one complete source but until one surfaces this is certainly enjoyable to watch.

I just received 'Gimme Shelter' from Netflix and will watch it with a friend. Back in the day and living in San Francisco I had no idea where the hell Altamont was.

I've never seen them live but one night in San Francisco me and a friend were standing outside Tower Records and we see this big limo drive up and out step Charlie Watts and Mick Taylor and they walk into the store and I can see through the window how everyone was trying to act cool. :lol: So I had my little Kodak camera with me and Watts and Taylor are right there not 5 feet away and they look up at me and I nodded if I could take their pic and I snapped one of them.

I've since lost the pic but they were probably thinking what a cheap bastard Papparazzi using a 110 Kodak camera. :lol:

I just received 'Gimme Shelter' from Netflix and will watch it with a friend. Back in the day and living in San Francisco I had no idea where the hell Altamont was.

I was there in 2005. It was a very well up-kept black top race track and still in use.

Edited by Gospel Zone

I was there in 2005. It was a very well up-kept black top race track and still in use.

Yeah, we went to some races in the late 90's. Damned hot there in summer. :veryhot:

The Netflix dvd was edited pretty heavy and they cut a lot out from the original. I went to see it in SF when it first came out with my friend Paul and we sat WAY in the back as about 50 Hells Angels were up in front just a hoopin' and hollerin'. Love the girl in the striped pants floppin' her juggs around. :P

"Well-Worn Sound, With Unrelenting Swagger."

Ben Ratliff's (great writer, always worth checking out) review of Barclay's Center show in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.c...enter.html?_r=0

Edit: More.....

http://artsbeat.blog...stic/?ref=music

Second Edit:

As much as I love Led Zeppelin, I have been of the opinion for many years that Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main Street are the three greatest back-to-back-to-back studio Rock albums ever recorded.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Edited by the body electric