Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

^ I'm sure it was previously advertised that both Mick and Keith would be doing that spot on Letterman,wonder what happened to Keef?

Or is that a loaded question?

That video is just a preview. If you notice it starts from number five, my guess is that Keith did the first five.

Its hard to believe the Rolling Stones have been around for 50 years. They have had an amazing 50 years and a wild ride. They were known as the bad boys inthe early 1960s and the Beatles were the good boys. The Stones didn't mind that image anyway. They have put out some great albums.With Mick Taylor .they were the best its to bad he left and the loss of Brian Jones was a shame too.They have given us 50 years of great music.

rolling-stones-1964.jpgcn_image.size.rolling-stones.jpg

Edited by ZEPFAN17

I saw them Saturday at the Barclay arena in Brooklyn. I would say 65-70% of the show rocked. The other 30% was simply boring, the same old songs being played and Keith's ability on guitar has greatly diminished. Woody is a good guitarists, but doesn't have the balls to take over and be the man. Mick Taylor didn't show up for this show, which was very disappointing.

Out of all the guitarists from the 60's/70's...by far Keith is the worst amongst those still playing. His leads are spotty and he just strums, not even strumming with enthusiasm. With all that said, it was still an enjoyable show, but you keep thinking how much better it could be if they brought back Mick Taylor.

They really need a competent guitarist to take the lead.

The Stones always were a much better band in the studio, w/o Taylor, their live act doesn't translate as well.

Bingo, sorry to hear that it wasn't a better show for you. Apparently Taylor will be at the NJ show this weekend. I did not see the Stones live until after he had left the band. I would love to have seen him in person, but not enough to pay the price of ticket, travel and overnight stay.

Did you get a chance to see any of the 121212 concert last night?

The HBO Documentary of the Rolling Stones is a must see. Its shows them from the very beginning,how popular they became in the early 60s. Mick Jagger gave some candid interviews, Thay are 4 kids who became one of the biggest bands They have had a wild 50 years for sure. They would be doing a concert and things would get so crazy girls screaming and chasing them after the show. If you haven't seen it yet it will be coming out on DVD on January 7TH 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNsShhLY5E

Nobody has mentioned Bill Wyman...is he playing? I thought both he and Mick Taylor were coming back for these shows? Everyone has mentioned Mick Taylor but nothing about Bill. Also, who is playing keyboards? Is it still that MOR tinkler Chuck Leavell? The Stones decline as a live band coincided with the loss of first, Nicky Hopkins, and then Ian Stewart as keyboardists. With the addition of Chuck Leavell and all the backing vocalists and extra musicians, their sound lost its nasty edge. It's not for nothing that one of the greatest Stones bootlegs is titled "Nasty Music"...it's from the 1973 European tour.

"Crossfire Hurricane" is a must-see...we watched it Thanksgiving night after dinner, as a friend loaned us his DVD screener copy. Great footage and interesting comments from the participants. Best part is that it's wall to wall historical footage with either music or the comments on the audio. None of that boring "talking heads" crap...lots of unreleased stuff from the footage Robert Frank filmed on the 1972 tour. If you've seen "Cocksucker Blues", you know very little actual concert footage was used. Two thumbs up! Catch it on HBO or get the DVD for sure! Too bad there isn't a documentary like this for Led Zeppelin.

Even better than "Crossfire Hurricane" is "Charlie Is My Darling", a rollicking and wild account of their 1965 tour of Ireland. I've had a bootleg VHS of "Charlie is My Darling" since the 80s...got it for $5 at a swap meet. Even in a high-generation blurry dub vetsion, it was amazing. But to see it in a crisp, digitally remastered print at the American Cinematheque's 60-foot screen was beyond awesome!!!

YOU SIMPLY MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!!! Whether you are a Stones fan or not, it is essential just to see the beginnings of the Stones mania, and how wild and crazy the early Brian Jones-era Stones concerts were. People got their panties in a twist over what happened to Plant in Brazil recently. Ha! Wait til you see the unbridled teen chaos the Stones unleashed on this '65 tour!

This film is also valuable for seeing the comraderie between the guys...especially amongst Mick and Keef and Andrew Loog Oldham. There's priceless footage of the guys getting drunk and taking the piss on the Beatles and Elvis Presley. There's also a scene where you see Keith and Mick hashing out what would become "Sitting on a Fence". It is these scenes that make it more clear how and why Brian Jones eventually became less essential and estranged from the band he created.

I mentioned Andrew Loog Oldham. He is still, in my opnion, a very unsung figure of the 60s and even among Stones fans he seems to get overlooked or taken for granted. For example, I don't think he is accorded nearly the praise and respect that Brian Epstein gets as the Beatles' manager. But he was a very shrewd and dapper fellow...and funny, too. As a child growing up in the 60s listening to my dad's Rolling Stones albums, my first exposure to Andrew Loog Oldham was through his fascinating and sometimes barmy liner notes he wrote for those early albums. December's children indeed.

But in "Charlie Is My Darling" you really get a sense of how important a role Andrew played in shepherding the Stones through the 60s and how attuned he was to what was happening in society and how to play the Stones against the Beatles.

For "Charlie Is My Darling", two thumbs extremely high up!

After the screening, the Cinematheque showed an interview with Andrew conducted by Dave Grohl that is part of the bonus material on the dvd. Sad to say, Dave is out of his depth in this interview and nothing of note is revealed.

I would suggest watching "Charlie..." first, then "Crossfire...". But both of these Stones documentaries need to be seen by anyone who is a fan of rock and roll. And if you have a family member or friend who is a Stones fan, make sure these two dvds are under their Christmas tree.

Bill Wyman was the only one that had the sense to walk away years ago. He did waht Robert Plant basically did but at least when Led Zeppelin took the stage for the one off they were very very determined to make it good. The Stones just sell tickets based on their past accomplishments and know the tickets will sell. At least Robert and Wyman do care about the quality of what they put out there. Jagger is the Stones. He is the entertainer. Richards cant play his way out of a paper bag anymore.