Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

You got Can't Hear Me Knocking and Sway with Mick Taylor, you sure as hell chose the right show to go!

Whaaat?! If so, that's fucking awesome...did Jagger happen to read my post about Mick Taylor and 'wasted opportunities' or something? "Sway" and especially CYHMK are mainstays of Taylor's solo gigs, so those songs are no brainers!

They should just do a Sticky Fingers night and be done with it...

^^^

Read it and weep, Nutrocker...here is the setlist from last night's Staples Center show:

1. Get Off of My Cloud

2. It's Only Rock and Roll

3. Paint It Black

4. Gimme Shelter

5. All Down the Line

6. Far Away Eyes

7. SWAY w/ Mick Taylor!

8. Doom and Gloom

9. One More Shot

10. CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING W/ MT! (Worth the price of admission alone!)

11. Honky Tonk Women

Band introductions...

12. Keef: You Got the Silver

13. Keef: Before They Make Me Run

14. Midnight Rambler w/ MT

15. Miss You

16. Start Me Up

17. Tumbling Dice

18. Brown Sugar

19. Sympathy for the Devil(Mick Jagger wears an awesome black cape with red lining during this song)

Encore:

20. You Can't Always Get What You Want w/ USC Thornton School of Music Choir

21. Jumping Jack Flash

22. Satisfaction w/ MT

It was worth the price of admission alone just to hear Can't You Hear Me Knocking with Mick Taylor!!! Throw in Mick Taylor on "Sway", "Midnight Rambler" and "Satisfaction" and it was a dream come true.

Then you add in "Far Away Eyes", "You Got the Silver", "Paint It Black", and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played with a choir in the studio arrangement for the first time, and you've got one special setlist. Greatest show ever? I don't know...I would still put the 1972 and 1975 shows I saw above tonight. But tonight was definitely in the top 10...maybe even top 5 considering MT played four songs.

If you've been on the fence about spending the money for tickets, I'm here to tell you it's worth every penny. Just do it...GO!

If you're patient enough at the box office the day of the show, you'll get pretty good seats for $150. Or just keep checking the Rolling Stones ticket website for your area's show...they've been slashing tix periodically.

I got to the Staples Center box office yesterday at 4am and 14 and 1/2 hours later at 6:30pm, finally the box office released the tickets I wanted.

post-1470-0-13195200-1369148168_thumb.jp

Edited by Strider

^^^

Read it and weep, Nutrocker...here is the setlist from last night's Staples Center show:

1. Get Off of My Cloud

3. Paint It Black

4. Gimme Shelter

5. All Down the Line

6. Far Away Eyes

7. SWAY w/ Mick Taylor!

8. Doom and Gloom

9. One More Shot

11. Honky Tonk Women

Band introductions...

15. Miss You

16. Start Me Up

17. Tumbling Dice

18. Brown Sugar

19. Sympathy for the Devil(Mick Jagger wears an awesome black cape with red lining during this song)

Encore:

21. Jumping Jack Flash

22. Satisfaction w/ MT

It was worth the price of admission alone just to hear Can't You Hear Me Knocking with Mick Taylor!!! Throw in Mick Taylor on "Sway", "Midnight Rambler" and "Satisfaction" and it was a dream come true.

Then you add in "Far Away Eyes", "You Got the Silver", "Paint It Black", and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played with a choir in the studio arrangement for the first time, and you've got one special setlist. Greatest show ever? I don't know...I would still put the 1972 and 1975 shows I saw above tonight. But tonight was definitely in the top 10...maybe even top 5 considering MT played four songs.

If you've been on the fence about spending the money for tickets, I'm here to tell you it's worth every penny. Just do it...GO!

If you're patient enough at the box office the day of the show, you'll get pretty good seats for $150. Or just keep checking the Rolling Stones ticket website for your area's show...they've been slashing tix periodically.

I got to the Staples Center box office yesterday at 4am and 14 and 1/2 hours later at 6:30pm, finally the box office released the tickets I wanted.

attachicon.gifBKxZaJlCcAA12az.jpeg

If you're even more patient, wait for the dvd.......

Edited by Gospel Zone

^^^

1. Get Off of My Cloud

3. Paint It Black

4. Gimme Shelter

5. All Down the Line

6. Far Away Eyes

7. SWAY w/ Mick Taylor!

8. Doom and Gloom

9. One More Shot

11. Honky Tonk Women

Band introductions...

15. Miss You

16. Start Me Up

17. Tumbling Dice

18. Brown Sugar

Encore:

21. Jumping Jack Flash

22. Satisfaction w/ MT

I'm reading...I'm metaphorically weeping :lol: "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is always worth the price of admission, but with Mick Taylor playing one of his most classic solos? Shit, bro, that's damn near priceless! Looks like you caught a great show, Strider- based on the setlist alone that could be the best gig of the tour thus far...would have been nice to see MT play on "All Down The Line" as well, but, eh, that's just a quibble...

Hope somebody taped this one, nevermind the goddamn DVD...

Edited by Nutrocker

If you're even more patient, wait for the dvd.......

Funny thing about waiting for the DVD...sometimes it's like waiting for Godot. One of the great scores of my life was getting tix for the Rolling Stones' Wiltern Theatre concert in 2002 with Solomon Burke opening. One of my friends wasn't so lucky. When I spoke to him a couple of days later, I told him about all the cameras filming and said the Stones were probably filming for a dvd release.

Well, 11 years later and there still hasn't been a dvd of that concert released. I haven't even seen a bootleg dvd of that show. So waiting for the dvd doesn't always pan out.

Besides, the dvd experience pales in comparison to the actual concert. Ask anyone who went to 1.9.70 Royal Albert Hall or the 12.10.07 O2 Ahmet Ertegun Tribute if they would trade those nights for the dvd?

3 Rolling Stones Tix @ $150 each: $450

Steak dinner for three: $60

Stones tour t-shirt: $40

Tour program: $30

The look of joy on my godson's face when they played his favourite Stones song, "Sympathy for the Devil? PRICELESS!

Finally had the chance to check that out...fucking awesome...it's almost like Taylor never left at all. You can tell Keith, Taylor and Woody are having a good time playing together.

Got to admit, Ronnie did some nice things with that solo on the Licks tour, but actually having Mick Taylor play the thing takes ya right back to 1970...

Because the DVD experience at home is so much better than the live CONCERT experience? I'd be quick to disagree.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the joy of standing there in an uncomfortable position, straining to see between the heads of those ever so courteous fans in front of me........Been there, done that!

Edited by Gospel Zone

^^^

Don't forget about "Sway"...

Where did Ron Wood ever get the idea that he was a good slide player? Don't encourage the boy.

Mick Taylor was nice though. His best performance of that song is on Carla Olson's Too Hot For Snakes, a CD that I consider worth more than any recent Stone's concert.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the joy of standing there in an uncomfortable position, straining to see between the heads of those ever so courteous fans in front of me........Been there, done that!

The good and the bad, you have to take both. Also really depends of where you sit also. It's all apart of that concert experience.

Where did Ron Wood ever get the idea that he was a good slide player? Don't encourage the boy.

Ever heard Woody in The Faces? Or on his solo albums? Ron Wood can more than hold his own on slide...he's up there with Ry Cooder and Duane Allman as far as slide guitar goes IMO.

Ever heard Woody in The Faces? Or on his solo albums? Ron Wood can more than hold his own on slide...he's up there with Ry Cooder and Duane Allman as far as slide guitar goes IMO.

+1

The good and the bad, you have to take both. Also really depends of where you sit also. It's all apart of that concert experience.

Hear Hear Spartan!

To each his/her own, but Strider's posts and the set list have me re-thinking my decision to skip the Stones when they come to my area...also I really want to see Mick Taylor, by the time I was able to see the Stones, he had left.

If I decide to go, option #2 it will be. Thanks for posting the excellent review and set list.

What's next......comparing him with John Kennedy? Woody is no Ry Cooder. And The Faces sound is a lighter sound than the Stones, that is before Woody joined.

If you're doing "Sway" and you have Mick Taylor on hand, let the man do his job.

What's next......comparing him with John Kennedy? Woody is no Ry Cooder. And The Faces sound is a lighter sound than the Stones, that is before Woody joined.

If you're doing "Sway" and you have Mick Taylor on hand, let the man do his job.

Fuck, based on this and some of yer other posts in this discussion you really are nothing but a troll, aren't you? I was not aware that Gospel Zone was the Final Authority on slide guitar playing...may we hear some of yer own slide playing, ma'am?

Think I agree with Nutrocker, you have nothing but negative things to say in this thread, why bother posting? Have you even listened to Ron's playing with the Faces? Listen to the slide on this:

Fuck, based on this and some of yer other posts in this discussion you really are nothing but a troll, aren't you? I was not aware that Gospel Zone was the Final Authority on slide guitar playing...may we hear some of yer own slide playing, ma'am?

Are you guys sitting down? I've got a real shocker for you! I've came across many Stones fans, some on this site, who do not like Ron Woods playing. And when someone compares his playing with Ry Cooder's......

Since you brought it up, I can out play Woodrow on any Stones song. And I can do it without making any stupid faces. But then, why couldn't I?

Are you guys sitting down? I've got a real shocker for you! I've came across many Stones fans, some on this site, who do not like Ron Woods playing. And when someone compares his playing with Ry Cooder's......

Since you brought it up, I can out play Woodrow on any Stones song. And I can do it without making any stupid faces. But then, why couldn't I?

I know that some Stones fans don't like Ron Woods playing, on many live songs I don't like his playing either, he can be quite erratic but he is still a brilliant slide guitarist. Maybe you can play better than Wood but you're not the one in the Stones worth 70mil are ya? ;)

I have a friend who I make copies of Zeppelin shows for and he is a drummer. He is always all over Jimmy's playing, saying he has played with better guitarists than Page. They play small bars in Central Florida. Another example of the old adage about opinions, just like the earlier post your are referring to Tom. ;)

I have a friend who I make copies of Zeppelin shows for and he is a drummer. He is always all over Jimmy's playing, saying he has played with better guitarists than Page. They play small bars in Central Florida. Another example of the old adage about opinions, just like the earlier post your are referring to Tom. ;)

I've played with better guitarist's than Page. What of it? Are you thin skins sitting down? I've come up with ways of doing "In The Evening" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" with a slight variation to that of Led Zeppelin's versions but still in the same style that I think is a harder sound than Jimmy's wang bar on the former and whatever the effect is he uses on the latter. Part of my trick is using a slide.

OK, bring on the personal insults!