Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

It's an apples to oranges comparison, Walter. The Stones have never quite stopped rolling since 1962. They've got robust management and staff in place with an incredible amount of experience and connections to make whatever they want happen, as well as third parties they can trust to execute it.

I'd argue Led Zeppelin's 02 concert dvd exists in part because the band met it's demise more than 30 years ago and Jimmy's efforts to take things

further amounted to nothing. It's a great production but it's also akin to a consolation prize for all those fans holding their breath for anything more.

The Stones just keep rolling. Bear in mind none of the Hyde Park video releases contain the complete performance, undoubtedly setting the stage for a "remastered edition" to follow in years to come.

Oh common, everybody knows that there's still alot of stuff in the vault and for some reason Jimmy won't release it.

The Stones are doing the right thing. It's just a question of effort. If you tell me that Jimmy has been working alot these last 4 years you'd be lying because he hasn't moved a finger, besides doing Celebration Day, he hasn't put out something good since HTWWW and the Led Zeppelin DVD, wich by the way, still doesn't have a follow up.

I'm not saying I don't like Jimmy or anything but, with everything they could have done, because Robert and JPJ also have a big say in this so this goes to the three of them, it's just ridiculous the small portion of things we have when you compare it to what other big bands of the 70's like The Stones have put on sale for the past five years or so, the 1978 buffalo show, remastered Some Girls album with new songs that didn't feature the album, the 1972 shows in Texas, Blu Ray DVDs of their shows,

the 1973 shows and alot of other stuff online, the list goes on and on. I'm thankfull everyday of the week for the DVD and HTWWW because that's really all the live material we get from the band besides TSRTS movie. Are you seriously gonna tell me that the reason why they won't release more live albums is because Jimmy can't find anything else? So there's no Pontiac? No Bath? No 1971 shows recorded with multi tracks?

I'm not trying to stir up a "oh they have all this stuff and they won't put it out" argument, but I just can't believe how we've settled with so little. It almost feels like being a GN'R fan.

Oh come on, everybody knows that there's still alot of stuff in the vault and for some reason Jimmy won't release it.

The Stones are doing the right thing. It's just a question of effort. If you tell me that Jimmy has been working alot these last 4 years you'd be lying because he hasn't moved a finger, besides doing Celebration Day, he hasn't put out something good since HTWWW and the Led Zeppelin DVD, wich by the way, still doesn't have a follow up.

I'm not saying I don't like Jimmy or anything but, with everything they could have done, because Robert and JPJ also have a big say in this so this goes to the three of them, it's just ridiculous the small portion of things we have when you compare it to what other big bands of the 70's like The Stones have put on sale for the past five years or so, the 1978 buffalo show, remastered Some Girls album with new songs that didn't feature the album, the 1972 shows in Texas, Blu Ray DVDs of their shows, the 1973 shows and alot of other stuff online, the list goes on and on. I'm thankfull everyday of the week for the DVD and HTWWW because that's really all the live material we get from the band besides TSRTS movie. Are you seriously gonna tell me that the reason why they won't release more live albums is because Jimmy can't find anything else? So there's no Pontiac? No Bath? No 1971 shows recorded with multi tracks?

I'm not trying to stir up a "oh they have all this stuff and they won't put it out" argument, but I just can't believe how we've settled with so little. It almost feels like being a GN'R fan.

I could get into this further but it isn't the right thread. Suffice to say The Rolling Stones are a well-oiled machine and a band with an extensive archive to pull from but Led Zeppelin are neither.

No it does not. Not even close.

Look, the Rolling Stones are still an on-going concern who made dozens of TV and Radio appearances, as well as welcomed cameras into their midst to film reel after reel of footage.

Led Zeppelin, for all intents and purposes, hasn't been a working band since the death of John Bonham, save for a few one-offs here and there. Their last studio album was released in 1979. They were more circumspect with regards to promotional appearances and filming and recording their activities, both in the studio and on stage. Not to mention the stuff that's been stolen over the years.

In short, Led Zeppelin's archive is puny compared to the likes of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan. You can't release what you don't have.

It's an apples to oranges comparison, Walter. The Stones have never quite stopped rolling since 1962. They've got robust management and staff in place with an incredible amount of experience and connections to make whatever they want happen, as well as third parties they can trust to execute it.

I'd argue Led Zeppelin's 02 concert dvd exists in part because the band met it's demise more than 30 years ago and Jimmy's efforts to take things

further amounted to nothing. It's a great production but it's also akin to a consolation prize for all those fans holding their breath for anything more.

The Stones just keep rolling. Bear in mind none of the Hyde Park video releases contain the complete performance, undoubtedly setting the stage for a "remastered edition" to follow in years to come.

I agree Steve, about it being apples and oranges. I just think the way they have been releasing old shows is great for their fans and then to turn around and put out this summer's much talked about Hyde Park show so quickly is a nice option for the fans who didn't catch the limited tour.

SAJ,

thanks for the heads up on this. Do you think we will be lucky enough to get cities outside of London included in a 2014 tour (given that the south of England was lucky in 2013)?

The Rolling Stones to Return in 2014

Tour announcement in March 2014, in April 2014 possible one offs, proper tour starting in May 2014. This is the new schedule for the Rolling Stones in 2014! As Mick Jagger is working with his film company Jagged Films on a highly lucrative Elvis Presley Biography, all tentative planned for autumn European concerts have now been postponed to spring 2014. From May 2014, the Stones will perform in at least 14 cities. Amsterdam, Paris, Oslo, Antwerp and three concerts in Germany are in the tentative plan. Also a Vienna concert is considered fixed.

Edited by kenog

SAJ,

thanks for the heads up on this. Do you think we will be lucky enough to get cities outside of London included in a 2014 tour (given that the south of England was lucky in 2013)?

Unless they decide to go strictly continental Europe - and I don't think they will do so - the front runners to host UK concerts has got to be Cardiff, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Thanks SAJ, I was unable to make the Hyde Park gig this summer, but would got out of my way to travel to any part of the UK to see them next year. So here's hoping. Just thrilled that these guys are still rolling on. It would be great if they continued to feature Mick Taylor.

Unless they decide to go strictly continental Europe - and I don't think they will do so - the front runners to host UK concerts has got to be Cardiff, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Shame when they did Hyde Park , they did n't return to Leeds and do Rounday Park again ......................Would love it if they came to Leeds Arena ............ tickets would be like rocking horse shit .....and cost a arm and leg

I acknowledge that this is totally irrelevant to the subject of Stones recordings and gigs.

It was announced today that Mick Jagger is going to be a great-grandfather. His granddaughter Assisi is expecting her first child.

Here's the link to the press report:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2428953/Sir-Mick-Jagger-great-grandfather-time.html

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to order the upcoming Hyde Park live album, amazon.ca has the best deal on the 3LP + DVD version at $30. I picked one up myself.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sweet-Summer-Sun-Hyde-Vinyl/dp/B00FCG06ZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380874872&sr=8-2&keywords=the+rolling+stones+sweet+summer+sun+hyde+park+live

The deluxe edition is very cheap on amazon.it as well, only 19 euros last time I looked.

• 1 month later...

Just got my 'Hyde Park Sweet Summer Sun' 1 BR,1 DVD,2 CD, Large Format Book set. When I open the book I find that all the pages have been inserted upside down and back to front, no big deal it's what's on the discs that matters.

Mick Jagger to be great-grandfather

British musician Mick Jagger is about to become a great-grandfather at age 70.

By Page Six Team

New York Post

November 25, 2013 | 12:07am

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger is set to become a great-grandfather early next year.

His daughter Jade told the Sunday Times that her 21-year-old daughter, Assisi, is expecting. Jade tells the newspaper she does not expect her famous father to slow down now that he’s set to become a great-grandfather.

Mick is working on a biopic of James Brown, and the Rolling Stones plan to tour Australia next year.

Assisi meanwhile told Hello! magazine that Mick was pleased when she told him the news.

She explained, “He said, ‘Well done.’” She mused, “I imagine it’s nice to be a great-granddad, although I’m not sure he likes the idea of getting old, or being called one. I call him Mick — I wouldn’t start calling him grandpa.”

http://pagesix.com/2013/11/25/mick-jagger-to-be-great-grandfather/?_ga=1.187573482.396833442.1385364277

Edited by SteveAJones

This topic was covered some time back. Two months ago.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/2189-rolling-stones-thread/?p=721484

Mick Jagger to be great-grandfather

British musician Mick Jagger is about to become a great-grandfather at age 70.

By Page Six Team

New York Post

November 25, 2013 | 12:07am

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger is set to become a great-grandfather early next year.

His daughter Jade told the Sunday Times that her 21-year-old daughter, Assisi, is expecting. Jade tells the newspaper she does not expect her famous father to slow down now that he’s set to become a great-grandfather.

Mick is working on a biopic of James Brown, and the Rolling Stones plan to tour Australia next year.

Assisi meanwhile told Hello! magazine that Mick was pleased when she told him the news.

She explained, “He said, ‘Well done.’” She mused, “I imagine it’s nice to be a great-granddad, although I’m not sure he likes the idea of getting old, or being called one. I call him Mick — I wouldn’t start calling him grandpa.”

http://pagesix.com/2013/11/25/mick-jagger-to-be-great-grandfather/?_ga=1.187573482.396833442.1385364277

Edited by pre-raphaelite