Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Sticky Fingers" was released 50 years ago on this date, April 23, 1971. It is an almost perfect record...and Side 2 is flawless from the driving "Bitch" to the elegiac "Moonlight Mile". The Rolling Stones were still vying with Led Zeppelin for the #1 spot in my heart in 1971. The Brown Bomber, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, LZIII...both bands were killing it at that time. The debate wouldn't really be settled until 1972-73.

But that is for another time. Tonight I celebrate the 50th anniversary of this quintessential Rolling Stones album. As the record itself suggests, PLAY IT LOUD!

174166005_3301549303404821_3629818445012046085_n.thumb.jpg.dbf704f491dd46bddd86618e7b7ba1f8.jpg

Edited by Strider

• 1 month later...

Charlie is my darling. It's all about Charlie Watts today. The man turns 80 years old. 80 is when you pass from being 'old' into 'elderly'. Happy birthday to the steady rock of The Rolling Stones!

145219.jpeg.e7c32c4ab2b66cc38695d6553dbf44c3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fucking hell. Nooooo. Not good ol' Charlie Watts. R.I.P. good sir. They can replace Brian Jones. They can replace Mick Taylor. They can even replace Bill Wyman. But they will never replace Charlie Watts.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-dies-1235047778/

Edited by Strider

54 minutes ago, Strider said:

Fucking hell. Nooooo. Not good ol' Charlie Watts. R.I.P. good sir. They can replace Brian Jones. They can replace Mick Taylor. They can even replace Bill Wyman. But they will never replace Charlie Watts.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-dies-1235047778/

I think they're going to do what they did with Bill Wyman - not replace him, but add in a session/touring drummer

REVISITING CHARLIE WATTS' LAST ROLLING STONES SHOW

attachment-GettyImages-1171246945.jpg.55bc651d908556d6f3398f0e8d16e8d2.jpg

Bryan Rolli - August 24, 2021

Fan footage of the Rolling Stones' last concert with drummer Charlie Watts has begun to recirculate following the news of Watts' death at the age of 80.

Watts last took to his throne on Aug. 30, 2019, for a rousing, two-hour show at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., as part of the Stones' No Filter Tour. The trek, which began in 2017, was scheduled to conclude in 2020 but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The 2019 Miami Gardens show included plenty of Stones classics, such as "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Sympathy for the Devil," "Honky Tonk Women" and "Paint It, Black." Watts ended his live tenure with the Stones with a one-two punch encore of "Gimme Shelter" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

You can see footage of the show and the full set list below.

Watts had announced earlier this month that he would sit out the fall 2021 leg of the No Filter Tour after undergoing unspecified surgery. Drummer Steve Jordan, who has played on all three Keith Richards' solo albums, was set to take his place.

"For once my timing has been a little off," Watts joked in a statement. "I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while. After all the fans' suffering caused by COVID, I really do not want the many fans who have been holding tickets for this tour to be disappointed by another postponement or cancellation."

Despite providing the backbone for arguably the biggest stadium-rock band of all time for nearly 60 years, Watts never his disdain for touring. "I love playing the drums, and I love playing with Mick [Jagger] and Keith and Ronnie [Wood], " he said in 2018. "I don't know about the rest of it. It wouldn't bother me if the Rolling Stones said, 'That's it - enough."

Jagger said last summer that the Rolling Stones were working on a new album, but it's unclear how much they had completed. The singer told the Zoe Ball Breakfast Show that the new material "sounds pretty good to me" but also warned expectant fans, "Don't hold your breath!"

Rolling Stones, Miami Gardens, Fla., Aug. 30, 2019

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"

"It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)"

"Tumbling Dice"

"Out Of Control"

"Under My Thumb"

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

"Sweet Virginia"

"Dead Flowers"

"Sympathy For The Devil"

"Honky Tonk Women"

"You Got The Silver"

"Before They Make Me Run"