Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Has Scorcese's documentary about the Stones been mentioned yet? Here's an article about its premier at the Berlin Film Festival...

Scorsese film to open Berlin festival

"Shine a Light," Martin Scorsese's documentary on the Rolling Stones, will open the Berlin film festival next month.

Scorsese and the band will attend the Feb. 7 screening, organizers said Tuesday. The annual event, the first of the year's major European film festivals, ends Feb. 17.

"We are extremely excited to have the world premiere of this magnificent film as our opening gala," festival director Dieter Kosslick said. "Martin Scorsese has captured the pure essence of an iconic band on the big screen."

"Shine a Light" documents two concerts by the Stones at New York's Beacon Theatre, on Oct. 29 and Nov. 1, 2006. It also includes rarely seen archive and behind-the-scenes footage, as well as interviews, the festival said.

Scorsese, 65, won an Oscar for directing 2006's "The Departed."

He has made other films focusing on music stars, including the 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" and 1978's "The Last Waltz," chronicling the all-star farewell concert by The Band.

___

Man;that's like picking between Beggars' Banquet and Let It Bleed.......

Talk Is Cheap,by a nose.(or a line) B)

I hear ya, that's a toughie. But I'm going with Main Offender. Keith's vocals on that are amazing (best ever to me), and it has a better flow to these ears. But Talk Is Cheap is fantastic. Loved hearing Mick Taylor play again with Keef too.

Go play "Take It So Hard", then listen to the Black Crowes' "Jealous Again". Sounds like they just might be Keef fans too. B)

I don't really count the Stones among my all-time favorite bands - but I like them a lot, and know their music very well, used to listen to them a lot. In my opinion (agree with Rock Action & others) they came into their own during the period when Mick Taylor joined them - it wasn't just Taylor's own fabulous guitar-playing, the collaboration just brought out such great things in Keith as well. Let It Bleed was an incredibly strong album, and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, Exile and Sticky Fingers are all very good too. Leading into that period, Beggar's Banquet was pretty strong too.

The Brian Jones period, after they started writing their own songs, certainly has a lot of charm as well, but in a slightly erratic kind of way I feel. Their Satanic Majesties Request is a good example: there are wonderful songs on that album, but the arrangements to me are not - psychedelic Stones don't sound very convincing to me. Aftermath has a great many good songs, but it's like thy're still struggling trying to find their own direction in their own songwriting - which is hardly unnatural.

Speaking for myself anyway, generally the Stones were a damn good band - but never as good as The Beatles or The Who, let alone Led Zeppelin.

While I may not agree with the Who being better than the Stones, I WILL agree that Mick Taylor did bring the best out in Keith as well. Taylor was the only musician in the band to CHALLENGE Keef, thus raising the bar. Best thing that ever happened to the band.

Had Taylor stayed with the band, I think they would have aged more gracefully, musically. There would still be room for Woody. On bass. B)

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...emi-likely-over

Rolling Stones “Shine a Light” on Universal, Tenure With EMI Likely Over

18038817-18038820-slarge.jpg

The Rolling Stones have signed a one-album deal with Universal Music Group for the release of their next album, the live soundtrack to Martin Scorsese’s concert film Shine a Light. The Universal deal likely spells the end of the Stones’ sixteen-year partnership with EMI, as the band’s record contract with that label expires next month. If they do sign a long-term deal with another label, the Stones would join Paul McCartney and Radiohead as the latest big-name artist to exit EMI in the wake of their tumultuous takeover by private equity firm Terra Firma. Earlier this week, EMI head Guy Hands announced that the label would allow for the corporating sponsoring of bands, as well as cut 1,500-2,000 jobs in order to free up $400 million. Still-contracted EMI artists like Robbie Williams, the Verve and Coldplay hinted at withholding new albums until EMI proved they were capable of appropriately promoting and distributing those releases.

Scorsese filmed Shine A Light during two Stones gigs at New York City’s relatively intimate Beacon Theatre in 2006. Among the special guests who joined the band on stage were Jack White and Christina Aguilera. The film will debut at the Berlin Film Festival next month before hitting American cinemas on April 4th.

I think the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite album is the live album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" from 1970 at MSG. Mick Taylor was with them instead of Ron Wood and I have always been in the camp that believes Taylor was the better guitarist. The greatest version ever of Sympathy For the Devil is in here and there are two great lead solo's in the song. Does anyone know which one Mick plays and assume Keith Richards plays the other. I think it is the best guitar the Stones have ever done. The two Chuck Berry songs "Carol" and "Little Queenie" are fabulous as is Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler. Live with me is another good rocker from this live album. I think the must buy albums for someone not familiar with the Stones would be "Hot Rocks" the greatest hits collection. Of course Sticky Fingers would rate as one of the altime best studio albums. And I would put Some Girls on the list too-one with Woody that is great. They have probably overstayed their welcome in many's eys. There is no quit in Jagger is there? Would like to see some opinions by Stones fans out there. Im sure there are many.

I am on the same page with you love the Mick Taylor period the best.Nothing wrong with Wood,but Mick had that sound that really did it for me.And Get Your Ya Yas my fav too.

Okay..I'm gonna repost some stuff from earlier pages of this thread...cause today is my

35th Anniversary of seeing The Rollings Stones in concert !!! :thumbsup:

My friend Mike Barnard and I went to the Honolulu International Center's ticket office at about 6am in the morning, it was the ONLY place to get tickets back then for shows there. People had been camped out all night, but not too many, maybe a couple of hundred.

So the box office opened at 10am and the line started inching along. We finally got to the window at about noon and got tickets on the first row of the risers on the floor just about 75 feet from the stage at a 45 degree angle...perfect actually...the first pic in my repost here was our view just about exactly...we were on Keith's side....

ZZ Top opened to an unknowing audience....very few had even heard them...they didn't get much applause as they were introduced, but garnered plenty as they got going....We had some killer pot at the show..and my girlfriend started getting really woosie..and needed some air..as she got up, she immediately fell out ! I freaked !!! Started pounding on her chest..cause she was out cold...and didn't look to be breathing ! Cops came really quick...picked her up..and we went out in the lobby area...she came too, and was white as a sheet ! The cops were asking what drugs she'd taken, and I said we had just smoked some really good Pakalolo...and the cops were unfazed and after she became coherent, they left. No problems, just a major freakout ! We ended up missing most of ZZ's set but got back in the arena just before they left the stage, so we didn't miss ANY of the Stones....

They were outrageous !! The loudest show I'd ever been too in my life.....the place was wild...so much electricity in the crowd...the lights...dazzling...reflecting off huge mirrors above and in front of the band, with the actual lights down and behind them...you can see the ray of lights columns in the pictures....going up !!! anyway...here's professional reviews, pics, links etc....so enjoy. :)

A couple of reviews from the local newspapers...

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=47729

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=47753

And a review from Honolulu's local Sunbums....

http://stoneslib3.homestead.com/files/sunbumsreview.jpg

An extensive essay on the Hawaii 1973 shows...

dvn8zq.jpg

http://stoneslib3.homestead.com/files/hawaii73.html

Sunday, January 21, 8 p.m. show = "Live With Me Tape" = VGP-040, disk 2

A strong set of external and internal markers place the "Live With Me Tape" as coming from our very first Honolulu concert, the single gig on Sunday. (To their credit, the boot CDs are correct in dating the "Live With Me" show to January 21; their error is calling this concert the 2nd one of the day.) The Star-Bulletin review of the opening show quotes only one piece of Jagger dialogue ("I can't see your faces, but I can see your binoculars. It's like a lot of little cat eyes staring at ya."), and this very comment is captured on our tape just before YCAGWYW. (Actually, these lines are preserved only on Honey-Loo-Loo, Tropical Windsongs, and In Exotic Honolulu, disk 2; Hawaiian Top and Hawaiian Daylight edit them out.) A second external marker is available through the Rolling Stone magazine story on the Hawaii sojourn. Here the reporter notes that at the "first show, January 21st," Jagger altered the words to "Sweet Virginia" by singing "Thank you for your wines, Ah-No Lew-loo." As with the distinguishing, one-time "cat eyes" stage line, this lyric change is found only on the "Live With Me Tape" (the others have the standard California wine reference). In addition, two internal markers provide further confirmation that the "Live With Me Tape" is the Sunday show. Just before "It's All Over Now," a fan near the taping microphone remarks, "I'm glad I'm coming back tomorrow night," which makes sense only if it were spoken Sunday in anticipation of one of the Monday performances. Finally, Jagger inserts a unique "Would I lie on Sunday?" line into YCAGWYW.

Great banner of the boys in Alohaland!!! :) than for sharing.

Sure !!

Didja see my added stuff above your post ? The Zep in Honolulu artwork and The Yardbirds by the same artist ? :D

Oh yeah....tickets were only $6.75 :lol:

$6.75 That's what I paid to see them in 72. Great tour by a great band...at their peak IMO. Too bad we had a riot outside the venue. BTW... All the women at the show thought Mick could dance just fine :D

Joel, thanks for sharing your memories! Your poor girlfriend! Back in the day, I was the one who usually ended up hauling a semi-comatose guy through the crowd and back out to the lobby.

$6.75 That's what I paid to see them in 72. Great tour by a great band...at their peak IMO. Too bad we had a riot outside the venue. BTW... All the women at the show thought Mick could dance just fine :D

You've got that right. :D

IMO, concert, music, and otherwise, the Mick Taylor years were the Stones' glory days.

RichardsTaylor70I-1.jpg

Joel, thanks for sharing your memories! Your poor girlfriend! Back in the day, I was the one who usually ended up hauling a semi-comatose guy through the crowd and back out to the lobby.

You've got that right. :D

IMO, concert, music, and otherwise, the Mick Taylor years were the Stones' glory days.

RichardsTaylor70I-1.jpg

They were MSG. There's a thread about Zep being the heaviest band ever, elsewhere on the forum. I think you know what I mean when i say heavy is an experience ...not a sound... The Stones during that era.... Were ....HEAVY.... Loved Them B)