Did anybody here go to Altamont in 69?

babysquid

Hi I was just wondering if any of you good people went and if it really was as bad as legend has it? I know bad stuff happened and there's no denying that but Did any of you go and remain oblivious to what was going on? Did any of you have a good time? Or did everybody come back thinking "Shit! That's the '60's over"

The reason I'm asking is because there's always been a lot of myth making in the music press. For example the belief Punk killed off all the "Dinosaurs" and Nirvana did the same with "corporate rock"

Anyway I did a search and couldn't find this covered. I've always wondered about this and I hope someone will help shed a bit of light on it.

I wasn't (I was 9 years old at the time) and I'm acquainted with only one person who was; my college English professor. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in contact with him. One way you could find firsthand impressions of that concert is to look up the names of the supporting act and the Rolling Stores road crew then surf the net for any interviews they may have granted.

• 3 weeks later...

I know a chap who was at Altamont,Isle of Weight and a lot english and european festivals of the late sixties and early seventies.He roadied for Anysley Dunbar and lived with the drummer from Hawkwind.He is sixty two now and still a fairly clear of mind despite the copious amount of substances he's had.His only recollection of Altamont is he didn't quite get there,on the outskirts,stoned out of his head,can't remember any music,just general chaos and getting a lift back in one of those psychedelic painted school buses(could have been the Grateful Deads!).He is a wealth of information and his sister has given him a voice recorder to record his adventures since he suffering badly from MS.I have known him only a year and he is my best mate and a gentle soul.We hope a book can be done. For the record he saw Zep at the start in a tent in a field with about 300 people in the english countryside but not sure where!

Archived