THE PUNK/NEW WAVE THREAD!

I just noticed that no one's mentioned a band I've recently started checkin' out:

Man or Astroman?

Yeah, I like them. I was just listening to one of their records the other day. They were primarily inspired by Devo. They didn't make my list because I only included bands from the 60s and 70s.

I've had Marquee Moon for a while and I think it's quite good but I have never been blown away by it like most of their fans. I know it's considered their best, but should I bother checking out any of the rest of their albums?

Edited by Kith Kannan

thanks to this thread I discovered the Undertones

great band. I'm listening to the second album.

next band on the list, Radio Birdman

Yeah, the Undertones are great, and I forgot to add them to my list.

As for Radio Birdman, I recommend Radios Appear as the record to start with. If you end up liking Radio Birdman, you might want to listen to The Scientists as well. They're a similar Australian band from the same era. I actually like them better.

I've had Marquee Moon for a while and I think it's quite good but I have never been blown away by it like most of their fans. I know it's considered their best, but should I bother checking out any of the rest of their albums?

Adventure is a watered down Marquee Moon. It's just OK. I think they only produced one other album, 14 years after they split up, and haven't heard anything about it.

You've got to check out their live album, The Blow-Up.

Three words: Little Johnny Jewel. Tom Verlaine is an incredible guitarist, he just doesn't seem to let anyone know about it save for these recordings.

Adventure is a watered down Marquee Moon. It's just OK.

That's what most Television-fans use to say, but I have to disagree. I think it's almost as good as Marquee Moon, a bit different, but still worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

I'm proud to say I saw The Damned at CBGB's for what was called the first time an English punk band played the US. The Dead Boys opened. Also saw The Stranglers and The Dictators numerous times. Too bad The Sex Pistols never made it to NYC, I would have been there.

I never saw Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds and regret it.

Edited by JethroTull

I'm proud to say I saw The Damned at CBGB's for what was called the first time an English punk band played the US. The Dead Boys opened. Also saw The Stranglers and The Dictators numerous times. Too bad The Sex Pistols never made it to NYC, I would have been there.

I never saw Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds and regret it.

Fuck. I'd love to have seen Dead Boys and Damned on the same bill. They're rock'n'roll defined.

Got to love Stiv Bators work with Lords of The New Church as well!

I've read Please Kill Me, you seem to have lived it. :D

Fuck. I'd love to have seen Dead Boys and Damned on the same bill. They're rock'n'roll defined.

Got to love Stiv Bators work with Lords of The New Church as well!

I've read Please Kill Me, you seem to have lived it. :D

I never read the book, but I probably paged through it in a book store. 1975-1979 were just great years for me musically. Truth be told, I didn't quite fit in. I graduated college in 1977 with a degree in accounting. My day life and evening life clashed and my career suffered. I was probably the most (or one of the most) conservative looking guys in the audience. I didn't care. I remember going to CBGB's with my equally conservative looking girlfriend and sitting at a table waiting for the Dictators to take the stage. Lead singer Handsome Dick Manitoba was next to my table and said to us, "that is where I sit with my girlfriend when I come here". When in NYC go to Manitoba's bar on Avenue B. During the "Weekend" you can rub elbows with a punk legend.

There were a handful of new wave bands I enjoyed, but deep down I was really pissed. One by one, the punk bands imploded with a couple of exceptions. I really didn't go to many shows during the 80's.

Speaking of books, Handsome Dick recently wrote a book of punk lists. You may want to check it out.

61wGOBXlxJL._AA240_.jpg

Edited by JethroTull

I haven't heard it myself but I understand Nick Lowe's new record At My Age has been garnering quite a few rave reviews as one of the best of 2007.

41QdiM7ueFL._AA240_.jpg

During the holidays I was having a chat with a couple of guys about Nick's recent efforts. They told me his last 2-3 efforts have been real laid back. I read a quote of his recently about how he doesn't want to do anything remotely similar to his past. I remember several years ago seeing a Lowe video on VH1. He was solo, playing bass and singing a song. Can't remember the song title. Haven't been able to find it on youtube.

Edited by JethroTull

I never read the book, but I probably paged through it in a book store. 1975-1979 were just great years for me musically. Truth be told, I didn't quite fit in. I graduated college in 1977 with a degree in accounting. My day life and evening life clashed and my career suffered. I was probably the most (or one of the most) conservative looking guys in the audience. I didn't care. I remember going to CBGB's with my equally conservative looking girlfriend and sitting at a table waiting for the Dictators to take the stage. Lead singer Handsome Dick Manitoba was next to my table and said to us, "that is where I sit with my girlfriend when I come here". When in NYC go to Manitoba's bar on Avenue B. During the "Weekend" you can rub elbows with a punk legend.

There were a handful of new wave bands I enjoyed, but deep down I was really pissed. One by one, the punk bands imploded with a couple of exceptions. I really didn't go to many shows during the 80's.

Speaking of books, Handsome Dick recently wrote a book of punk lists. You may want to check it out.

61wGOBXlxJL._AA240_.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Manitoba's place next time I visit N.Y. I went there a couple of years ago, missed CBGB's and after a few months I got back home they closed the place down..

The Jam.

No wait, they weren't punk really, there were a mod band. Well not really, they did get lumped in with a lot of other British punk bands in the mid 70s.............but.......but.........

.............."punk" is too confusing. Never mind.

Regards;

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Manitoba's place next time I visit N.Y. I went there a couple of years ago, missed CBGB's and after a few months I got back home they closed the place down..

I'm sorry I couldn't regale you with stories of shooting herion with Sid Vicious or sharing Deborah Harry with Joey Ramone, but it just didn't happen (for me). BTW, do you like The Hellecopters? I just saw on Wikipedia they are disbanding after their next release and tour. I was into them for a while and saw them open for The Dictators at CBGB's a few years ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't regale you with stories of shooting herion with Sid Vicious or sharing Deborah Harry with Joey Ramone, but it just didn't happen (for me). BTW, do you like The Hellecopters? I just saw on Wikipedia they are disbanding after their next release and tour. I was into them for a while and saw them open for The Dictators at CBGB's a few years ago.

Well, I'm glad you didn't shoot heroin with Sid and that kinda stuff. I would probably not been doing that myself if I had grew up in NY in the mid 70's, at least not with the life values I have had and have now.

I love the Hellacopters and almost anything Nicke Anderson (singer/guitarist) is involved with. I'm happy to hear someone else then me, mention them on this board! It's good you got to see them, because I don't think they will tour US again. The farewell tour will probably only be in Europe.

61wGOBXlxJL._AA240_.jpg

Isn't that what CBGB's was all about though? Uptown meets downtown? Essentially bringing the punk movement to the civvies, so to speak. CBGB's was an important place for all those acts to encourage and germinate their talent and the subtext was that it was a launching ground to the rest of the world.