Pretty interesting read here:

Pioneering research by Paul Belbin proved the Rosetta stone in decoding Syd Barrett’s song writing inspirations for one of his most beloved songs, ‘Octopus’. Belbin’s original 1996 (revised 1998) essay, ‘Untangling the Octopus’ provoked a sea change in understanding Barrett’s work. Palacios has expanded on Belbin’s essay to further delve into the myriad origins of ‘Octopus’.

Too often dismissed as a fantasist who collated drug driven word salad imagery, Barrett in time will assume his rightful place in the canon of English poetics, to which he made vital contributions. In the most literal interpretation, ‘Octopus’ recalls memories of fairground rides, collated with a sea-faring poem. Barrett’s song resounds with a long string of references to rhymes, poems, and songs culled from English lore. The works of English classics scholar, poet, translator and novelist Robert Graves, a favourite of Syd’s, also figure prominently in ‘Octopus’.

http://socialartsnetwork.ning.com/profiles/blogs/untangling-the-octopus

I have to laugh when I read something like this, after all why are Barrett's lyrics considered word salad yet Lennon's tunes (Strawberry Fields, Glass Onion, I am the Walrus, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds) are considered genius poetry. No damn difference. If Lennon is a genius for these songs then so is Barrett for his.

I have to laugh when I read something like this, after all why are Barrett's lyrics considered word salad yet Lennon's tunes (Strawberry Fields, Glass Onion, I am the Walrus, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds) are considered genius poetry. No damn difference. If Lennon is a genius for these songs then so is Barrett for his.

Probably just a general bias toward the Beatles that has always kind of existed, look at all the books and music classes that fawn over their every note, while bands like Zep are dismissed as Heavy Metal or Arena Rock.

That being said, I love them both!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New Syd Barrett Documentary Scheduled for 2015 Release

By Jeff Giles June 26, 2015 1:29 PM

The life and legacy of Pink Floyd co-founder Syd Barrett will be examined in a new documentary scheduled for release later this year.

Helmed by filmmaker Roddy Bogawa, the film is called Have You Got It? — a title that hardcore Floyd fans will recognize as being inspired by the final song Barrett wrote for the band before leaving the lineup in the spring of 1968. According to Bogawa, he was able to achieve a level of intimacy and insight that eluded previous attempts at distilling Barrett’s turbulent history and unique talent.

Have You Got It? is truly unique,” he’s quoted as telling MOJO. “[it] has an intimate quality that the other films about him haven’t been able to capture.”

Bogawa’s name will be familiar to fans of graphic designer Storm Thorgerson, who worked on many of Floyd’s classic, distinctive album covers. In 2011, Bogawa premiered Taken by Storm, a crowdfunded documentary tribute to Thorgerson’s work; as he later told Rock Pop Gallery, one of his first concert experiences was a show on the band’s Animals tour.

“It was the one that really cemented my love of going to see live shows as a teenager. I remember that my father had to drive my friend and I an hour and a half to Anaheim Stadium at four in the morning, those being the days of ‘stadium seating’ which pretty much meant you waited in line for hours to be herded into the grass in front of the stage,” he recalled. “Considering it was Pink Floyd’s Animals tour, this was quite funny, as I remember the underage kids being separated into different lines and getting different color bands put on their wrists – very Animal Farm-like.”

Bogawa’s relationship with Thorgerson led, in turn, to his work on Have You Got It?. As MOJO notes, the film was started by Thorgerson, but hadn’t been finished when he died in 2013. Bogawa took over the project, and he seems to be in the home stretch; although no release date has yet been announced, NME says it’s “expected to be released in the late summer.”

Read More: New Syd Barrett Documentary Scheduled for 2015 Release | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/syd-barrett-documentary/?trackback=tsmclip

• 3 weeks later...

Syd Barrett – See Emily Play

The main inspiration for the song was, in fact, a fifteen year old girl Emily Young, who skylarked across Holland Park to the London Free School with her friend Anjelica Huston. Emily was nicknamed ‘psychedelic schoolgirl’ at the UFO club. Intellectual curiosity prompted Emily to visit the Free School and educate herself beyond school curriculum. Her private ‘evening classes’ consisted of reading William Blake, existentialists and Romantic poets, dressed at the same time in a noticeable long Victorian style gown ‘that touched the ground’.

https://byronsmuse.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/syd-barrett-see-emily-play/

1960s-emily-young-syds-muse.jpg?w=490

When performed live in 1967, the song was known as "Let's Roll Another One" and contained the line "I'm high - Don't try to spoil my fun", but the record company forced Syd Barrett to rewrite it, at the suggestion of Roger Waters, without the controversial drug references. Nevertheless, the recorded version added the line "Oh don't talk with me/Please just fuck with me", which the BBC censors missed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_and_a_Currant_Bun#Lyric_change

hey everyone!! For a long time, I've seen people say that the Madcap Laughs was an awfully and lazily produced album, I reaally like that album and how it sounds myself but is there any accuracy in saying these things about it? :)

You're right, I love the lo-fi quality of that album, although the sessions were notoriously difficult, for obvious reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madcap_Laughs#Recording

You're right, I love the lo-fi quality of that album, although the sessions were notoriously difficult, for obvious reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madcap_Laughs#Recording

I

I remember a quote about the making of The Madcap Laughs. The writer thought David Gilmour and Roger Waters deserved a medal for "Service above and beyond the call of rock." for their work with Syd Barrett on that album.

I

I remember a quote about the making of The Madcap Laughs. The writer thought David Gilmour and Roger Waters deserved a medal for "Service above and beyond the call of rock." for their work with Syd Barrett on that album.

Interesting, I've read that a lot of people think they were kind of exploiting Syd's condition by keeping in some of the false starts and studio chatter stuff. I like that kind of stuff on a record, but those some of those songs did need some polish, apparently they were pretty rushed.

^0:53

That one is actually pretty funny.

^Probably the most controversial/questionable inclusion. That being said they did a great job on stuff like Octopus, Golden Hair, etc.

Upon release, Gilmour said: "Perhaps we were trying to show what Syd was really like. But perhaps we were trying to punish him ..." While Barrett admitted that "I don't think it would stand as my last statement", Waters was more optimistic, declaring Barrett a "genius". Initial sales and reaction were deemed sufficient by EMI to sanction a second solo album.

Malcolm Jones was shocked by the substandard musicianship on the Gilmour and Waters-produced songs, however: "I felt angry. It's like dirty linen in public and very unnecessary and unkind ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madcap_Laughs#Release.2C_reception.2C_and_aftermath

Archived