Jimmy appearing at public event in London [October]

Boleskine

I watched It Might Get Loud yesterday and Jimmy commented the structure if Stairway was similar to an orgasm, the build and release. Now, I. May be doing him a disservice, but that sounds more like the regurgitation of a comment from an interviewer who has analysed the track far more than the creators likely ever did.

The song itself is constructed as a stairway...it does gradually build to a release.

enjoyable night last night. as many others said nothing earthshaking, but nothing really expected. the confirmation from Michael Hann that Jimmy is strict when it comes to his interviews is no great surprise. Contrary to others i found the fan questions good, only shame was Jimmy not really answering them and talking more around them.

I didn't buy the book as i got the expensive one, but it looks good even as a paperback:)

Jimmy was relaxed and the few anecdotal comments around the well known facts for us hardcore fans, made it money and an evening well spent.

post-17489-0-14590500-1413468412_thumb.j

Buford T Justice, on 16 Oct 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

I watched It Might Get Loud yesterday and Jimmy commented the structure if Stairway was similar to an orgasm, the build and release. Now, I. May be doing him a disservice, but that sounds more like the regurgitation of a comment from an interviewer who has analysed the track far more than the creators likely ever did.

The song itself is constructed as a stairway...it does gradually build to a release.

Yes, I realise the structure is built that way and so it's a relevant description. My point is whether that was genuinely in the minds of the artists or a description made by journalists and reviewers appropriated by the artists to intellectualise their material.

I think the latter.

Buford T Justice, on 16 Oct 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yes, I realise the structure is built that way and so it's a relevant description. My point is whether that was genuinely in the minds of the artists or a description made by journalists and reviewers appropriated by the artists to intellectualise their material.

I think the latter.

Interesting that you wish to credit journalists/reviewers (who mostly dismissed Zeppelin) with "intellectualising" an artist's creation.

Rudimentary research of Jimmy Page would more probably lead you to the former.

I'm not crediting the journalists of the time, more the comments, theories, assessments, detailed reviews (with the benefit of hindsight and readjustment to consider legacy) expounded by numerous parties during the intervening years. These views and questions have been heard by the musicians endlessly - isn't there a point where they could indeed start to muddle the reality with the painted theory?

I'd suggest it's entirely feasible that artists could take credit for things that have been said in the time since under the guise of "that's exactly what we meant to do." Anything that adds additional gravitas is unlikely to be discounted, it all adds to the legacy after all. Whether it was intentional or simply a view/theory that has been absorbed and claimed as fact in the time since is another matter.

With that in mind I stand by my viewpoint.

I'm not crediting the journalists of the time, more the comments, theories, assessments, detailed reviews (with the benefit of hindsight and readjustment to consider legacy) expounded by numerous parties during the intervening years. These views and questions have been heard by the musicians endlessly - isn't there a point where they could indeed start to muddle the reality with the painted theory?

I'd suggest it's entirely feasible that artists could take credit for things that have been said in the time since under the guise of "that's exactly what we meant to do." Anything that adds additional gravitas is unlikely to be discounted, it all adds to the legacy after all. Whether it was intentional or simply a view/theory that has been absorbed and claimed as fact in the time since is another matter.

With that in mind I stand by my viewpoint.

Potentially true in some aspects but I'm not sure comparing a song to an orgasm adds "gravitas." Most of their music is climatic so it wouldn't take an "intellectual" to uncover that. Many teenagers picked up on that without having the capacity to explain it intellectually.

What we do know from both old and recent interviews is that Page repeatedly describes his music and playing music in sexual terms and emotional highs and lows i.e. light and shade. There might be other examples but this one, Stairway, most definitely belongs to Page.

I knew it'd be tales we'd heard a million times. Don't think there was that many die hard Led Zeppelin fans there. Just feel honored to see Jimmy.

I saw loads of die hard fans there, many I have known for years

Potentially true in some aspects but I'm not sure comparing a song to an orgasm adds "gravitas." Most of their music is climatic so it wouldn't take an "intellectual" to uncover that. Many teenagers picked up on that without having the capacity to explain it intellectually.

What we do know from both old and recent interviews is that Page repeatedly describes his music and playing music in sexual terms and emotional highs and lows i.e. light and shade. There might be other examples but this one, Stairway, most definitely belongs to Page.

Exactly. I would add that the construct of intro > build > release is a Jimmy Page hallmark found in several of his compositions, among them:

Stairway To Heaven

Since I've Been Loving You

Over The Hills And Far Away

Ten Years Gone

Achilles Last Stand

In The Evening

Emerald Eyes

Don't Leave Me This Way

Blue Train

Most High

• 4 months later...

I was in the front row (stage left) at the A Life in Music: Jimmy Page event at Cadogan Hall, London on 15 October 2014, which was sponsored by The Guardian. Typically I left my camera with the 20x zoom at home, thinking I'd never get a seat near to the stage, so only had my Canon G10 with zoom x 3.5. The stage lighting was not particularly favourable, but have selected the pics here from the batch I took.

https://flic.kr/p/ryqiaB

https://flic.kr/p/rf6Mot

https://flic.kr/p/ryjCgm

https://flic.kr/p/qBqBZj

https://flic.kr/p/rw8EBm

Cheers,

Indi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ptcphotographylondon/sets/72157646572662314/

cant remember if i posted mine, if anyone's interested

cheers

HB you managed to capture some great, animated pics of Jimmy, especially of him laughing. I guess you must have had a good lens on the camera coz you were not in the front row. Looking at your other pics and the use of B/W are you a pro or semi-pro photographer?

Cheers,

Indi

Archived