Concerts you were forced into going to

greengrass

Great thread! Sometimes you understand the value of the experience later, like in my case when my hippie parents took me and my brother to various rockfestivals through the 1980's :-)

Back in the early mid 70s my younger sister wanted to go and see Ted Mulry Gang or Sherbet ,two Australian glam pop bands that were popular at the time.She was only 12 or 13 and my parents wouldn't let her go by herself.I had to take her a few times and stand at the back of these screaming girlies(and having a look!).At one of these gigs was a band I had seen once on Countdown(like Top of the Tops)doing Baby Please Don't Go.They had a lead guitarist dressed up as a school boy(who wasn't long out of school!)and a barechested singer with a high voice.They blew everyone else off stage.They had an album out shortly after called High Voltage.

A dear friend of mine ( who recently passed) had a musical taste the polar opposite of mine. I ended up attending a few concerts with her that her husband refused to go to....and in retrospect ...those are now fond memories for me. ( Time spent with her... NOT the shows !!! ) Neil Diamond..... and the other show was Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't forced ,but my son (who is into all things heavy)said I should go and see Nightwish and Opeth who were both playing within a week of each other of where I was staying about 12 or so years ago.Somewhat reluctantly but a little flush with $ I saw both these bands.I was in awe of their musicianship and the fanatical reaction from the crowd who seemed to know every note and word of their quite lengthy songs.Anyway I went out and bought every cd of both bands by the end of the week.Only my Opeth t shirt that I bought at the gig hasn't survived.

I took my then girlfriend to see UFO and Motorhead gigs in 1978. She repaid the "favour" by forcing me to see The Stranglers in the same year. They were, and still are, in my top 3 worst gigs ever. And if you are wondering who are the other 2. Easy, Journey and Hawkwind (Hawklords)

My missus made me take her to see Prince at the NEC Birmingham on his Lovesexy tour in 88 not my cup of tea but it had it's good moments plus we had good seats dead centre of the front side of the revolving stage on the front row of the first tier. She got me to take her to see him again the following year this time outdoors at Maine Rd Manchester (Man Citehs footie ground), now that was shit, I was getting loads of funny looks every time I sparked up a spliff, straightest audience I've had the displeasure to be in. We saw Gilmour Floyd the the year before at Maine Rd and almost everyone was toking away like there was no tomorrow.

My missus made me take her to see Prince at the NEC Birmingham on his Lovesexy tour in 88 not my cup of tea but it had it's good moments plus we had good seats dead centre of the front side of the revolving stage on the front row of the first tier. She got me to take her to see him again the following year this time outdoors at Maine Rd Manchester (Man Citehs footie ground), now that was shit, I was getting loads of funny looks every time I sparked up a spliff, straightest audience I've had the displeasure to be in. We saw Gilmour Floyd the the year before at Maine Rd and almost everyone was toking away like there was no tomorrow.

Excellent story JTM. The Stranglers gig: I had the regulation gear on. Afghan, long black scarf, a Steve Hillage tee shirt, and my hair was on my waist. I survived - just.

Archived