MSG 10-6-77 alternate source

Nutrocker

Yes...I've been away, but now I'm back...for the moment at least.

I'm sure most of us here have heard the June 10 1977 New York show, the night featuring the tour debut of "Over The Hills" and "Heartbreaker". In addition to the most common source for this gig -found on the "Rock And Roll Circus" boot- two additional alternate sources circulate for this show. The first alternate -Source two- runs from "The Song Remains The Same" to Page's "Noise Solo", with a few cuts here and there. I have taken this alternate source, and patched the cuts with my "Rock And Roll Circus" boot. Now available at good old 'ten cents'...or PM me if you are interested in a copy.

Personally I think this second source sounds better than the most common one- less distant, and minus most of the noisemakers (air horns, bird chirp whistles) that permeate the common source. I have heard the third source, but it is even more fragmented, with poorer sound and very talkative (annoying) tapers.

Most days I am hard pressed as to whether June 10th or June 11th is my favourite 1977 show...I reckon the New York gigs are vastly underrated when compared to the legendary L.A. run a week and a half later.

Let's discuss the New York '77 shows!

I've always found the 10th and 11th to be far more enjoyable than the (IMHO overhyped) show from the 13th. I've been trying to spread the word that the 8th is an absolutely killer show underneath all the mud and distortion. If the next '77 soundboard turned out to be this show instead of Baton Rouge or Greensboro, I wouldn't be upset in the least. The 14th deserves more attention as well, but the 7th is largely skippable.

This show was torrented just a few hours ago. The person who posted wrote the date just like you did. with the day before the month instead of M/DD/YYYY any connection? :shifty:

Yeah, that's me...I didn't figure my dime nickname would be appropriate here on the official LZ forum.

I've always found the 10th and 11th to be far more enjoyable than the (IMHO overhyped) show from the 13th. I've been trying to spread the word that the 8th is an absolutely killer show underneath all the mud and distortion. If the next '77 soundboard turned out to be this show instead of Baton Rouge or Greensboro, I wouldn't be upset in the least. The 14th deserves more attention as well, but the 7th is largely skippable.

Sue, there is an alternate source for June 8...it's missing a good chunk of "No Quarter", and the drum and noise solos, but it has much better sound than the common "Second Night In The Garden" source. Hell, for all I know, the same guys who taped this June 10 alternate did that June 8 alternate as well- similar sound, for one thing. For that matter, I'm almost inclined to say that the same guys who did this June 10 alternate are responsible for the June 7 "Rawhide" audience source- on both shows they discuss the 'laserium' during "No Quarter", but that's just conjecture on my part.

I make no promises, but maybe if I find the time I could lash together the alternate June 8 source, patched with the "SNITG" source and offer that one up as well...

I'm guilty of partly ignoring the NY '77 run in favor of LA, Cleveland, Seattle, Birmingham, Texas, etc. Okay, I pretty much listen to everything 1977 but NY, which is improper. I do enjoy 6/10 and 6/13, however have not listened intently to 6/08, 6/11 or 6/14. I agree 6/07 is substandard, but Nutrocker as featured in NQ is cool and its always interesting to hear the band fall off the rails as they do in Kashmir on the night.

I know Sue and others love the NY series but it has never captured my imagination the way LA does. I would certainly welcome any new sources for 6/08 and 6/11, and a complete source for 6/14. I sense however that the band is putting on a good show in effort for the NY citizenry, as they were always good to Zeppelin, but that the members themselves are daydreaming about the Angles sun and what awaits them. The backstage photos of Bonham at the buffet line and his onstage get-up does indicate spirits were at times high, but as Plant comments "its hard to see the sun in a place like New York", and I think that attitude is evident in the onstage happenings.

I must give NY another try, after all 1977 Zeppelin beats the piss out of anything from 1969...or USA 1973...or 1975...(yeah I said it!).

I would certainly welcome any new sources for 6/08 and 6/11, and a complete source for 6/14.

Try to find the "Four Source Merge" version of June 11...unless the full soundboard ever appears "Four Source Merge" is about as good as yer gonna get for that show. And like I said, I'll take a crack at the June 8 alternate source; doing the patching on that one is gonna be a bitch because the sound between the two sources is so different. That project is gonna be solely for the diehards, methinks...

It's been quite some time since I've listened to the NY shows. Is the 10th, the show where you can hear a glass bottle hit the tapers mic stand during 'Going to California'?

It's been awhile so I can't recall the bottle during GTC, but June 10 is the show where the guy goes apeshit with the air horn...fortunately on the alternate source the air horn isn't as prevalent (but the firecrackers still are!)

Archived