Robert Plant on THE TONIGHT SHOW with JIMMY FALLON

The Pagemeister

Pagemeister, as always I bow to your timely news items. Thanks for keeping us informed. :notworthy:

Jimmy Fallon's interaction with the musical guests is often pretty amazing.

This could be real funny. :yesnod:

Well, I thought his interaction with Jimmy Page sucked. It could have been better...it should have been better! Hopefully, his time with Robert will be more interesting.

Well, I thought his interaction with Jimmy Page sucked. It could have been better...it should have been better! Hopefully, his time with Robert will be more interesting.

Strider,

I agree. It stunk!

JF can be extremely clever with his many guests, but I think the Page appearance was an extremely controlled situation of product promotion only.

And although many people loved it, I thought Billy Joel's visit to JF was borderline bizarro world, with JF so over the top he overshadowed his guest (trying to out-sing Billy Joel is what it felt like to me, maybe it was just hero-worship run amok! ). :rolleyes:

So let's hope Robert's visit goes a happy medium between the extremes of JF.

:)

I'm glad Robert will be that show...but Jimmy Fallon's got as much atmosphere as a public telephone box.

Remember those?

I wouldn't go that far! JF is very much into music, I think. But, I suppose it's what the network wants him to do and not always his choice. Hopefully, it will be an engaging and fun interview! We shall see! Don't want a totally staged interview....NO!

I'm sure, that would not be the way Robert would want it!

I wouldn't go that far! JF is very much into music, I think. But, I suppose it's what the network wants him to do and not always his choice. Hopefully, it will be an engaging and fun interview! We shall see! Don't want a totally staged interview....NO!

I'm sure, that would not be the way Robert would want it!

The doo wop segment was entertaining and I'll wait to see the rest of the RP pieces.

I rather enjoyed the bit. Robert still seems sharp and has his wits about him. He's rather pleasant when the banter is lighthearted and relaxed. I think Jimmy (Page's) inability to keep things light and easy going when seeing his old friend is why they communicate so poorly (not derailing the topic, just noting that Plant can be fun when the situation allows).

It was an excellent appearance. Jimmy Fallon has a great thing going. He always finds creative things to do with each guest. It was also very cool that he could bring up Zeppelin meeting Elvis in 1973 without badgering Robert about a reunion .. Robert's voice was spot on and the band sounded real tight. The segment with Mathew Broderick and Nathan Lane was enjoyable as well..

Jimmy is always a bit of a stiff interview. He's always so serious about what he does that it must be kind of hard for the interviewer. I'd love to have the chance to interview Page though… moreso than the other 2.

Jimmy Fallon and Robert singing together after the break in about a minute! Could be cool!!!

When Fallon brought out the ipad, I thought, Oh God, please PLEASE don't let this suck, but you know what? It actually turned out great! Cool tune choice, too.

"Rainbow" was really good but "Turn It Up" kicked ass. Band is very tight, and Robert's such a pro, he had the songs and the audience right in his hand. The great thing about a band playing its own material is that they're intimately familiar with it and can make change it up with ease and it'll still be fresh. They're awesome together.

I loved Jimmy Fallon's face the big smile. He is probably thinking I am singing with the great Robert Plant.

Welcome, donarail00! :)

I imagine that's exactly what he was thinking! Think his biggest joy in hosting late night shows is to perform with the greats. He must have been very disappointed that it didn't happen when Jimmy Page was on the show. Fallon likely had something spectacular planned.

Yes, this was much better than the Jimmy Page appearance. Much more fun and loose and spontaneous atmosphere.

But it wasn't just Jimmy Page's fault that his Tonight Show appearance seemed so stiff. I realize that it wasn't a regularly scheduled slot; that Jimmy was pre-taping his time on the show to be broadcast later, which suggests it was all done on-the-fly. Like "Hey Jimmy, we're here in the Northeast to do the Berklee thing...why not shoot over to New York real quick and promote the remasters on the Tonight Show?"

Even though it was a small time-slot and pre-taped, Jimmy Fallon failed in that interview. Just the simple act of showing people what the box sets looked like was a failure...all he did was hold the box up? He never showed us what the insides really looked like, the albums or the book or how everything was arranged inside the box.

The other major difference in the two appearances is that Robert Plant still seems like a working musician, while Jimmy Page comes off more like a museum curator. Please bring a guitar next time, Jimmy Page.

Archived