Where do you think Zep would've gone musically in the '80s?

RoundingRover

Straight to the shit house,Page had nothing left in the tank,Bonham's passing in a certain iconic way spared the remaining members of any harm and saved what ever dignity was left of the Led Zep band and associates! Funny thing ,Bonzo,protected his band members when he was alive and also when he died! Look at their track record ,the shape they were all in, if Bonzo lived ,it stands to reason (sad to say it) that disaster & doom would strike the mighty LZ once again!! Just like the extinction of the dinosaurs, when I see all the seventies bands like eagles ,fmac,Joel,who,stones even Floyd and yes, ELP. Wow!! Out there today on tour sounding better than ever and I can't find the Zeppelin.......it hurts!!!!..........and then I wonder if it hurts the band members when they see it, page& plant kno a lot of people are laughing at them and they can't do anything about it anymore.

Led Zeppelin wouldn't have lasted into the 1980's in the first place (and indeed didn't), not without certain members cleaning up their act... and sadly that didn't happen before it was too late for one of them. It's impossible to tell what kind of album the follow-up to ITTOD would have sounded like, it would depend greatly on the circumstances of the band members - both individually and collectively - at the time of it's writing and recording, which wouldn't have been until the latter half of 1981, by which time, God only knows what state Jimmy Page and/or Bonzo would have been by then (presuming either/both survived the U.S. tour), or what Robert Plant's frame of mind would have been, he may have regained his enthusiasm for all things LZ by then or he may have just wanted out as soon as the Atlantic contract was fulfilled... who could know much less predict such a thing that had yet to happen?

I think they needed a 4/5 year break, with jimmy page coming back in the state he was in, in 88. It would have been good for all of them. It would have benefited the creativity and artistry. Maybe there could have been talks of robert plant doing solo records and still participating in led zeppelin. Maybe led zeppelin could have realized that recording and touring could be sporadic and could have been able to distance themselves from pressures, from record companies and fame.

I would hope they would not make cheesy 80s videos for mtv, or record bonham with an 80s drum sound....but they probably would have, doh gahd.

Considering plants music in the 80s and the firm, outrider, led zeppelin would have made good rock music. With page, jones and bonham together, probably a few more epic songs as well. With touring, they would have seen a third wave of popularity, with another generation.

Now that's a good idea. In the Firm Page was still regaining his skills, but allegedly still hoisting the bottle and the spoon. By Outrider,

However, Page was blazing again and just maybe Bonzo could in a few years without pressure toned down or stopped the booze.

I also think at this point a reunion couldv'e been really creative, with many new ideas and innovations, not just recycled old Zep riffs.

We almost got a reunion in 1990. I think this would have been a great time for not only a reunion but an album as well. Outrider and Manic Nirvana were complete and Jimmy and Robert were both at a good point in time, creatively speaking. Robert's next album was Fate of Nations and Jimmy's was Coverdale/Page. Combine these two albums and add JPJ and Jason into the mix and I truly believe they could of pulled off a masterpiece. At least lived up to all the expectations that would have been placed on their shoulders. Who knows?

I agree a bit with POM but even here Plant seems to be scaling back the guitar. A reunion from 1988 on would be best as keyboards

would most likely be more prominent than Zep and Outrider was not really a rehash of Zep riffs. Sparks always fly with Page and Plant;

Even Walking Into Clarksdale, add in Jones, and a somewhat tame outing would fly much higher. I must add that for Page and Plant,

The minimalistic playing and production approach for this album was totally misplaced, like pairing Nirvana with a orchestra. Shame

That not a sliver of the 86' Bath rehearsal tapes were ever heard(Called "very promising" by Plant).

Archived