Japan 24/09/71

chillumpuffer

There maybe a topic relating to this and what Jimmy says on his website, which as we all know, repeats like episodes of Dads Army. Anyway this is what he says:

"During the first tour of Japan, Led Zeppelin was to play two nights at Budokan. Between visits to club Byblos, Tokyo Hilton and the Budokan Hall, some good music and concerts were performed for the Japanese audience who were so respectful, quiet and attentive during the songs. This was interesting, because we could hear each other perfectly and we could explore the music in greater depth, giving us a chance of a serious musical work out. We played 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' in the medley section of 'Whole Lotta Love', the only time we ever played it in that context. It is interesting how well we played and were prepared to step up to the precipice under these quite analytical conditions"

Following that he states that this show was recorded. In view of his comments, I wonder why he has chosen not to either release it as a whole show or at least a few songs to accommodate the re release of say Led Zepp 4?

There maybe a topic relating to this and what Jimmy says on his website, which as we all know, repeats like episodes of Dads Army. Anyway this is what he says:

"During the first tour of Japan, Led Zeppelin was to play two nights at Budokan. Between visits to club Byblos, Tokyo Hilton and the Budokan Hall, some good music and concerts were performed for the Japanese audience who were so respectful, quiet and attentive during the songs. This was interesting, because we could hear each other perfectly and we could explore the music in greater depth, giving us a chance of a serious musical work out. We played 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' in the medley section of 'Whole Lotta Love', the only time we ever played it in that context. It is interesting how well we played and were prepared to step up to the precipice under these quite analytical conditions"

Following that he states that this show was recorded. In view of his comments, I wonder why he has chosen not to either release it as a whole show or at least a few songs to accommodate the re release of say Led Zepp 4?

Can you please post the link where he states the concerts were recorded? Thanks

Remember: Jimmy gave input into the creation of the "On This Day" segments of the website, but we shouldn't take them as verbatim his own voice.

It's possible he could be referring to the fact that this show (as well as all of the others on the 1971 Japanese tour) were recorded unofficially by audience members...or he could be simply acknowledging the fact that that this show (along with the first night in Tokyo and the two shows in Osaka) were professionally recorded, which is no longer in doubt.

As to why the shows haven't been officially released...all we have are rumours: It seems no one has ever been able to directly ask Jimmy about the condition of the tapes. Rumour has it that in 2003, the tapes were exhumed and deemed unworthy of release in comparison to the material used on DVD and How the West Was Won. Jimmy has stated that there will be no further live releases in the 2014-2015 remaster catalogue, and also claimed that there were no further releases on the horizon.

Remember: Jimmy gave input into the creation of the "On This Day" segments of the website, but we shouldn't take them as verbatim his own voice.

It's possible he could be referring to the fact that this show (as well as all of the others on the 1971 Japanese tour) were recorded unofficially by audience members...or he could be simply acknowledging the fact that that this show (along with the first night in Tokyo and the two shows in Osaka) were professionally recorded, which is no longer in doubt.

As to why the shows haven't been officially released...all we have are rumours: It seems no one has ever been able to directly ask Jimmy about the condition of the tapes. Rumour has it that in 2003, the tapes were exhumed and deemed unworthy of release in comparison to the material used on DVD and How the West Was Won. Jimmy has stated that there will be no further live releases in the 2014-2015 remaster catalogue, and also claimed that there were no further releases on the horizon.

Yes I understand that the condition of the tapes etc. But it seems odd that, knowing how Jimmy regards this tour, that he hadn't kept the tapes in good condition seeing as How The West was Won was recorded a year later and released years on.

According to Peter Grant, the Japanese tour was recorded at the record company's urging on a 6-track transistorized board. However, they are relatively unbalanced recordings and as such the band has not favored them for any commercial release.

Source? Not doubting, just wondering.

Also, didn't a supposed ex-employee (who claimed some responsibility for the leak of the 1971.09.29 tape) come out with different details?

EDIT: Found a more complete source...eh, I'm a little unconvinced -- the best solution would be a quote from Jimmy himself. From Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin by Chris Welch:

The first time we went [to Japan] the Japanese record company insisted they record the show. They had a 6-track transistorised board, Jimmy was a bit worried about this, so the deal I made was that they could record it, if we could have the tapes and take them back to England and approve them. So Jimmy listened to them and found they were terrible. He took the tapes and wiped over them and used them again. So it was goodbye Live in Japan.

Here is a summary of the info from the Japanese employee, interviewed in Cross Beat (source):

[1971.09.29 tape] is not a audience recording.

Taper himself confesed on CROSS BEAT(Japanese magazine).

He was a member of Japanese record company and official recording staff.

4 show was recorded with double 8 track (2inch) recorder.(Tokyo,23,24,Osaka,28,29)

But these tapes were took away by Richard Cole.

The Taper(Japanese record company) 'secretly' separated the line and taped to 1/4inch recorder(probably 2track machine)

on 29th only.(for use in just their memory.)

He didn't change the tape well because of Zep clue kept watching carefully.

He didn't spill it but someone who worked at warehouse did, he said.

[Double 8 track =] Two machines in synch to record 16 tracks simultaneously,

because of the Japanese Company didn't have a 16 tr machine.

Edited by Melcórë

But if so, what is John Davis mixing these days?

Edited by achillestand

But if so, what is John Davis mixing these days?

Does Davis "mix" anything? Not a dig -- but isn't he primarily a mastering engineer? None of the LZ companion audio (to date) has been remixed -- all are mono/stereo references recordings mixed at the time, and he also didn't mix Celebration Day, that was Alan Moulder.

(If you're referring to this series of tweets, I'm the person replying to him.)

There are quotes from Jimmy in print that further substantiate those shows were recorded.

Anything to substantiate Grant's claims that the tape(s) were wiped?

Edited by Melcórë

Being new to Bootlegs myself, I take it everyone or most here have heard this audience taped show?

September 24, 1971 Budokan Hall, Tokyo

1) Immigrant Song
2) Heartbreaker
3) Since I've Been Loving You
4) Black Dog
5) Dazed And Confused
6) Stairway To Heaven
7) Celebration Day
8) That's The Way
9) Going To California
10) Tangerine
11) What Is And What Should Never Be
12) Moby Dick
13) Whole Lotta Love Medley
14) Organ Solo
15) Thank You
16) Communication Breakdown

I haven't heard it yet but will be listening to it either tonight or tomorrow.

Melcórë, I read that topic you linked on RO and I saw someone mentioned a new release of it called "Geisha, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Landing 1971 40th Anniversary)" and I'm curious about it, has anyone heard it before? Is it any better than any of the other "definitive versions" out there? I can't find anything on it other than it being mentioned in that thread you linked. I hope this isn't deviating too much from the original idea of the thread and if it is I can ask it somewhere else.

Thank's Melcórë, I am excited in anticipation.

Cheers :)

I'm also liking the September 23, 1971 Budokan Hall, Tokyo atm. :)

Sept 23rd is also a great show man, love all of the shows from their Japanese tour from 1971. All of them they are just on fire!

Melcórë, I read that topic you linked on RO and I saw someone mentioned a new release of it called "Geisha, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Landing 1971 40th Anniversary)" and I'm curious about it, has anyone heard it before? Is it any better than any of the other "definitive versions" out there? I can't find anything on it other than it being mentioned in that thread you linked. I hope this isn't deviating too much from the original idea of the thread and if it is I can ask it somewhere else.

I have not been a fan of many of the 1971.09.29 releases. Can't remember if I checked out that one. My go-to, even though it has some issues with speed/syncing between the two-track and the AUD recording, is Otoko Doahou 929, EVSD's latest offering. It has the best overall sound quality to my ears...

I have not been a fan of many of the 1971.09.29 releases. Can't remember if I checked out that one. My go-to, even though it has some issues with speed/syncing between the two-track and the AUD recording, is Otoko Doahou 929, EVSD's latest offering. It has the best overall sound quality to my ears...

Really? I thought that one sounded awful, wayyy to much EQ if I'm remembering correctly.

Still sounds very... I don't know, odd? Doesn't sound like a soundboard at all even though it is