The Retro Thread

SozoZoso

7 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^^Good stuff kipper!

Thanks, very "retro" stuff those photos.  Most of those were taken by a guy who grew up on a street right next to  Van Nuys Blvd in the San Fernando Valley. He was a pretty good photographer.

Not sure which photo I linked which said "stop stealing bandwith"?  People don't want their photos linked to on the internet shouldn't put them up.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, redrum said:

Early 70's. My friend Danny and girlfriend Margie on his Panhead in Golden gate Park, SF.

DANNY & MARGIE.jpg

Very Cool1

My cousin had a chopper clone of "Captain America" back in the '70s, but eventually he traded it for a softail. He said the chopper was so uncomfortable on a long ride that his arms went numb and his kidneys weren't working right for a week.

My father had a '66 Triumph Bonneville T-120 like this one in the '70s.  I never thought it was as cool as the choppers and bobbers which were so numerous here in Los Angeles back then, but now I realize it really was a great motorcycle if you could get past having the "English" reversed brake and shifter LOL.

spacer.png

Edited by kipper

6 hours ago, kipper said:

Very Cool1

My cousin had a chopper clone of "Captain America" back in the '70s, but eventually he traded it for a softail. He said the chopper was so uncomfortable on a long ride that his arms went numb and his kidneys weren't working right for a week.

My father had a '66 Triumph Bonneville T-120 like this one in the '70s.  I never thought it was as cool as the choppers and bobbers which were so numerous here in Los Angeles back then, but now I realize it really was a great motorcycle if you could get past having the "English" reversed brake and shifter LOL.

spacer.png

I have other pics of old friends building their Knucklehead choppers. I'll post them soon. My brother bought this after coming back from Vietnam. It was eventually stolen. 441 Victor.

Randy's Cycle Service & Restoration: 1969 BSA 441 Victor Special B44V

8 hours ago, redrum said:

Old Winterland in SF. Post & Steiner Sts. Pretty rough neighborhood and not far from the Fillmore. Demolished in mid 80's.

https://minkinphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/GD-Winterland_17-Edit.jpg

Two Los Angeles early punk rock venues.  Hong Kong Cafe and Madame Wong's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

@kipper they were more natural and beautiful. Like your avatar, Star Trek!

Yes!  Trelane, one of the greatest Star Trek villains ever.

One thing is for sure, young people were much more physically fit and thinner than today.  Not that there weren't some heavy kids then too, but they were by far the exception. Way more physical activity back then, people outside more, and here in Southern California meant out in the sun getting a tan.  We are all "golden gods and goddesses" here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great pics, Kip. Here are some more from the old neighborhood in SF. 27th by Church St. 1972. Both bikes under construction. Sal and Vetto were the bike builders. Both bikes were Knuckleheads. Not sure what year or how many cubes. The pit bull was also named 'Knuckle.' He was a good dog and not vicious. Here is a stock Knucklehead. All my pics were taken with Tr--X black & white film. Me and two friends had a tiny darkroom then, but it worked.

1947 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead | Bike-urious

SAL & VETTO'S BIKES-1.jpg

SAL & VETTO'S BIKES-2.jpg

SAL'S BIKE-1.jpg

SAL'S BIKE-2.jpg

KNUCKLE THE PIT.jpg