Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, redrum said:

That's the model Mercedes I have. 1966 'Fintail' diesel. Mine is pretty beat up, but it runs.

Love all the surfer girls. 😎

spacer.png

 

 

Nice car Red.... but does  your come with a blonde hood ornament like that one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, redrum said:

Great pics, Kip. Here are some more from the old neighborhood in SF. 27th by Church St. 1972. Both bikes under construction. Sal and Vetto were the bike builders. Both bikes were Knuckleheads. Not sure what year or how many cubes. The pit bull was also named 'Knuckle.' He was a good dog and not vicious. Here is a stock Knucklehead. All my pics were taken with Tr--X black & white film. Me and two friends had a tiny darkroom then, but it worked.

1947 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead | Bike-urious

SAL & VETTO'S BIKES-1.jpg

SAL & VETTO'S BIKES-2.jpg

SAL'S BIKE-1.jpg

SAL'S BIKE-2.jpg

KNUCKLE THE PIT.jpg

You have some great pics Red!  Those two choppers look like real kidney bruisers LOL!

Wish I had followed in my father's footsteps and taken more 35mm film photos in my youth. Most of my photo albums are full of crappy Kodak Instamatic 126 or 110 junk.  When I look through all of the old Kodachrome slide photos my father, uncles, and grandfather took back in the '50s and '60s, now I wish I had done the same.  And nothing beats B&W with a 35mm camera with a 50mm lens.  My dad used to say, "zoom with your feet". Today everyone feels they need 10 lenses. They miss more street shots just dicking around with their rigs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, redrum said:

My old Nikon FTN. I loved that camera. I have a later model still.

NIKON FTN.jpg

I have one of my Dad's old cameras.  A German made Kodak Retina IIIC that he bought in Europe in the late '50s like this one.

 

spacer.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kipper said:

You have some great pics Red!  Those two choppers look like real kidney bruisers LOL!

Wish I had followed in my father's footsteps and taken more 35mm film photos in my youth. Most of my photo albums are full of crappy Kodak Instamatic 126 or 110 junk.  When I look through all of the old Kodachrome slide photos my father, uncles, and grandfather took back in the '50s and '60s, now I wish I had done the same.  And nothing beats B&W with a 35mm camera with a 50mm lens.  My dad used to say, "zoom with your feet". Today everyone feels they need 10 lenses. They miss more street shots just dicking around with their rigs.

Thanks, Kip. Yeah, I tried a rigid frame for one day. That's all it took to put the shocks back on. Film is still around, but I am now scanning my negatives. It's easier, faster and cheaper than traditional and I can get better tone and contrast with digital. I've also lost a lot of my negatives and always kick myself for that. The time I saw Charlie Watts and Mick Taylor at Tower Records in SF, I took their pic with a Kodak 110 cheapo. I lost that pic too. :( I like your Dad's philosophy. Just like war photographer Robert Capa. He said: If your pictures aren't good, then you're not close enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kipper said:

I have one of my Dad's old cameras.  A German made Kodak Retina IIIC that he bought in Europe in the late '50s like this one.

 

spacer.png

 

That looks like it uses 2-1/4 roll film. I have my brother in-laws camera that he used in WW2. It also used 2-1/4 roll film. I have all his negatives too. I'll post some later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One more from the 70's. SF. Quite a story on this bike involving 2 brothers. One messed around with the other ones 'ol lady and he proceeded to beat the bike into scrap metal with a sledge hammer. Better than committing murder I s'pose.

 

MEL'S BIKE.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, redrum said:

Another bike from back then owned by Bob Voight. Same street.

 

VOIGHT'S BIKE-1.jpg

VOIGHT'S BIKE-2.jpg

Really cool pics Red, thanks for sharing!

Is this one a shovelhead?

I don't know which would be harder to ride, choppers with the tall arm numbing "ape hangers", or those little handle bars like the one's in this photo. What happens if you make need to make a sudden turn with these? Or I guess you just plan far enough ahead so you don't need to.

Back in the late '60s and early '70s there were way more choppers down here than bobbers I think. Which do you like better?

 I saw one of those newer Triumph bobbers recently and thought it looked like a comfortable bike.

spacer.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 9:43 PM, redrum said:

I thought I had posted this. My friend Bill Hopper on his Panhead on Day St. in SF.

The pic made the Easyrider pages of 'In The Wind' and I got $35.

 

 

BILL HOPPER ON BIKE(resized).jpg

Bill Hopper kind of looks like Dennis Hopper here.

 

spacer.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kipper said:

Really cool pics Red, thanks for sharing!

Is this one a shovelhead?

I don't know which would be harder to ride, choppers with the tall arm numbing "ape hangers", or those little handle bars like the one's in this photo. What happens if you make need to make a sudden turn with these? Or I guess you just plan far enough ahead so you don't need to.

Back in the late '60s and early '70s there were way more choppers down here than bobbers I think. Which do you like better?

 I saw one of those newer Triumph bobbers recently and thought it looked like a comfortable bike.

spacer.png

 

Yes, that's a Shovelhead. Early model with a generator. I had a '77 FXE (with alternator). It was a cursed bike (Gremlin Gus) and pretty much a gutless turd. Always something wrong with it. My old girlfriend got a t-shirt for me that said: IF HARLEY DAVIDSON MADE AN AIRPLANE, WOULD YOU FLY IN IT?  Like Hopper in Easyrider, I preferred low drag bars. Comfortable and 'push' steering was very easy and responsive. I always loved the bobber look. The extreme stretched bikes never did much for me. That is a nice Triumph and the seat is a Godsend. Love to ride it.

Gremlins | Epic Mickey Wiki | Fandom

A lot of WW2 planes had Gremlins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...