Jimmy's 2015 Live Tour

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

There is no questioning the respect, love, and devotion the fans of Zeppelin and this forum have for Jimmy.

Let's put that to rest. We wouldn't be so passionate about the guy and his body of work if we didn't.

However, and I 've said this plenty of times, Jimmy is fooling no one any longer. One simply cannot state,

imply, refer to, or suggest over and over, year after year, that he or she will be seen or heard doing something

the masses yearn for - and never really do anything - without some kind of backlash.

It's that simple. If Jimmy is just messing with the "Internet" people than it's just plain ridiculous and not serving

well a person of his stature.

In fact I for one DO believe Jimmy has reams of material, stockpiled but left in a rough state. Kinda like a hoarder -

they know they have something important in the pile, but the pile has gotten so out of control they can no longer

find what was once so meaningful.

But in lieu of finding the material to record and play live, Jimmy should just remember the code of silence he once

mastered so well. When the press tries to corner you into a storyline - say nothing. Silence. No story is better than

a rehearsed line of (yearly) hope to the many faithful. The Faithful who now feel deceived.

1-1=0 <ZoSo>

Good post, despite what Chicago thinks. B)

Perhaps Jimmy is purposely using the press to build up the want and need to perform live again. It's clear he has been unable to do so on his own accord for the last 14 years. Maybe he needs the speculation and hype to get himself motivated into actually doing it.

I think this is closest to the truth. Often people tell others about their goals as a way of motivating themselves. I have some other thoughts too, but have shared them in the past, probably inappropriately on this forum. If you want to pm me to know more what I think, feel free.

Really Chitown?- let's not put words in the mouths of the innocent. It's not their fault that Jimmy

has annually pronounced upcoming activities that have yet to come to fruition.

No one is calling Jimmy a liar. Stop.

I don't see much difference in "liar" and "bullshitter"..

I don't think this is a deliberate trend either.. Bullshitter would be someone that knows they're talking bullshit.. Page, I believe always means what he says..

We all have projects we plan to do that keep getting pushed back.. Right? Something more important comes up whether it's family issues, work, life, other music projects etc.. I know that's the case for me.. and I'm just a regular guy.. There are things I've wanted to do for a long time that get pushed back.. It must be 10 times worse for someone as well known and legendary as Jimmy Page.. He feels a huge responsibility and obligation to keep the Zeppelin legacy going.. John Paul Jones isn't going to remaster the entire Led Zeppelin catalog anytime soon. Robert Plant sure as hell isn't going to either… That leaves it all up to Jimmy. If it wasn't for Page keeping an eye on things, we wouldn't have Coda, BBC, How the West Was Won, The 2 box sets, The Complete Studio Recordings, DVD, Early Days, Latter Days, Celebration Day, The Remasters… and on and on..

I truly hope he knows how badly people want to see him out there and hear new ideas from him… I think a lot of the frustration from the fans is due to the desire to hear new music from him more than anything else..

I don't see much difference in "liar" and "bullshitter"..

I don't think this is a deliberate trend either.. Bullshitter would be someone that knows they're talking bullshit.. Page, I believe always means what he says..

We all have projects we plan to do that keep getting pushed back.. Right? Something more important comes up whether it's family issues, work, life, other music projects etc.. I know that's the case for me.. and I'm just a regular guy.. There are things I've wanted to do for a long time that get pushed back.. It must be 10 times worse for someone as well known and legendary as Jimmy Page.. He feels a huge responsibility and obligation to keep the Zeppelin legacy going.. John Paul Jones isn't going to remaster the entire Led Zeppelin catalog anytime soon. Robert Plant sure as hell isn't going to either… That leaves it all up to Jimmy. If it wasn't for Page keeping an eye on things, we wouldn't have Coda, BBC, How the West Was Won, The 2 box sets, The Complete Studio Recordings, DVD, Early Days, Latter Days, Celebration Day, The Remasters… and on and on..

I truly hope he knows how badly people want to see him out there and hear new ideas from him… I think a lot of the frustration from the fans is due to the desire to hear new music from him more than anything else..

I agree that he's probably not intentionally misleading fans (I think the "messing with the Internet" comment was more a manifestation of his own doubt than an admission of actually trying to mislead fans), but I can't buy his "I've been busy" excuse that he puts out there. The most recent projects (the remasters and photo book) have the feeling of projects that were invented to keep oneself busy and/or give himself an excuse for not playing, if not consciously. It's a bit like how my house is at its cleanest when I'm avoiding work - you know, I just HAD to do all of that before starting my work.

I agree with the last line of your post, and I hope he also knows that a) it's OK to play smaller theaters, b ) it's OK if his skills aren't as sharp as they were in the early 70s, c) we're not expecting the new material to be as good as Zep and we're fine with that. If he plays his cards right, there is no way that he's not lauded as an elder statesman of rock.

Coda had to be released as it was a contractual obligation.

yes. I know that. He still put it together. Robert said if he had his way Coda wouldn't have been released. He wanted to leave it where it ended. Ok I'll give you Coda. What about all the rest that I listed? That was all released due to Jimmy Page's effort.

So tonight, I'm going to party like it's 1999.

Here we are, jimmy 15 years ago in 1999 predicting live stuff "after the summer". Let's turn it round; what if jimmy had been promising (for example) the full earls court show on DVD for the same length of time? I'm pretty sure there would be a few disgruntled folk on this forum.

I'm with disco duck, he's right, there is too much talk of page's inactivity, so I'm going to dig out my copy of Zooma to play and leave this discussion too, but I hope jimmy does get a band together next year or I think there may be a backlash against him for not living up to his words. He's mentioned wanting to play live so many times in this year's media events that he may have painted himself into a corner

yes. I know that. He still put it together. Robert said if he had his way Coda wouldn't have been released. He wanted to leave it where it ended. Ok I'll give you Coda. What about all the rest that I listed? That was all released due to Jimmy Page's effort.

The rest is true as you said. Just wanted to make the point about Coda. All of this is Jimmy and really no one else on the band. The others just have to agree to it and sign off on it! When it comes to Zep, Jimmy's the boss. Just wish he had enough pull to get them together.

He's mentioned wanting to play live so many times in this year's media events that he may have painted himself into a corner

Not really. For one thing, the press and media he engages with will never hold him accountable out of fear of losing access. For another, unless there's more Led Zeppelin product to promote he'll be out of the public eye anyway.

^ I agree with Steve's post and to twist it another way; I sincerely hope Page doesn't chicken out (from the continuous promises he's now been making clear in recent months) because the demand that's out there for him right now doesn't match the demand he has built up inside his ego. The small club and theater scene is EXACTLY what he needs to do to reconnect with everyone...not the massive stadium tour. We know he couldn't pull that off without Robert and Jonesy along for the ride, but I hope Page is comfortable accepting that too.

When you listen to Jimmy talk--when all the interview sparring is gone and you hear him talk from the heart--from the very beginning It seems like it's about energy management for him--performing, recording, producing--all of it. It is about directing energy. Even when you hear him explaining his process for STH it is couched in terms of energy management--a building, a crescendo etc. His recent comments regarding WLL stripped down being like a trance like ritual. Even when you hear him talk about making the transition from the Yardbirds to LZ, he is talking about moving from the attraction plus a backup band of lesser musicians formula to a marriage of equals that allows for the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts, and that that sum is an energy. And with LZ, that energy is on an epic scale. As the song says, "How you gonna keep em down on the farm once they've seen Paree?" I imagine that for him, this new transition is a bit of a puzzle as it were, in that if it can no longer be that perfect marriage of equals, then on some level it means a return to that attraction plus a backup band kind of format. Plant seems to revel and flourish creatively in that sort of format. It allows him to experiment with different size crowds and manage energy of varying levels of intimacy. But does Jimmy's private nature really lend itself to that kind of experimentation--the kind that would allow a new band to form? So does he assume the mantle of bandleader and maintain control OR does he let go of that precious control in hopes of finding another marriage of equals? Thoughts?

Its going to take an outsider to reunite this band. 8 new songs fully arranged with quality comparable to whats on Mothership. Certainly no acoustic only songs. The dreamer to be of this impossible project has to be a combination guitarist/bassist/drummer/keyboardist/songwriter genius who is well versed in the styles of all 4 individuals. And you have about 18 months to make it happen before its too late. You or I have to do the job otherwise nothing will happen.

I'm going to give it a try.

Its going to take an outsider to reunite this band. 8 new songs fully arranged with quality comparable to whats on Mothership. Certainly no acoustic only songs. The dreamer to be of this impossible project has to be a combination guitarist/bassist/drummer/keyboardist/songwriter genius who is well versed in the styles of all 4 individuals. And you have about 18 months to make it happen before its too late. You or I have to do the job otherwise nothing will happen.

I'm going to give it a try.

... This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds

You know what? It just occurred to me that we spend as much time here discussing Page's promises to perform and record as we do actual recordings and performances by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones. I'm as guilty as everyone else. I suspect that Mr. Page has us right where he wants us and is yanking our collective chain. Not a cool thing to do, imo. I, Disco Duck, will no longer play along. This will be my last post about Page until he actually does perform music in public or release new music. I'm getting off the Jimmy Page speculation merry-go-round.

Its been nice knowing ya.

Agree with Dark Lord on this one. We may see a one-off performance (ala Foo FIghters with JPJ and Page), but this man is done performing live in any kind of tour. And it's a shame because his peers from the Yardbirds, continue to tour, perform, and record.

You know what? It just occurred to me that we spend as much time here discussing Page's promises to perform and record as we do actual recordings and performances by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones. I'm as guilty as everyone else. I suspect that Mr. Page has us right where he wants us and is yanking our collective chain. Not a cool thing to do, imo. I, Disco Duck, will no longer play along. This will be my last post about Page until he actually does perform music in public or release new music. I'm getting off the Jimmy Page speculation merry-go-round.

C'mon man it's not that deep :hysterical: :hysterical:

Lol. There is a12page thread about RP's new album and 13 pages about JP's non-existent new music and tour.

I don't think jimmy is purposefully yanking our chain, I think he is lying to himself. I doubt he'll ever tour or produce new music again.

I guess I fail to understand why people are so upset with Jimmy. The man is 70 years old, has given us Led-Zeppelin, Death Wish II, The Firm, Outrider, Coverdale/Page, reunited with Plant and gave us two more albums, toured with The Black Crowes and has given us plenty of "new" Zeppelin stuff like the DVD, How The West Was Won, Celebration Day and now this reissue series.

When is enough enough??? Can't we accept that he may be at a point where he can retire... live out his years knowing that he was part of maybe the greatest band ever???

This constant demand that Jimmy do something just blows my mind. I, for one, am thankful for what he has given us over the years and am perfectly happy for him if he chooses to never release another album or do another tour. He has earned that right.

If he does release an album, hopefully it's something that he's quite happy with and if that's the case, then I think that most of his fans will like it too. If he doesn't, like I said, that's fine. Let the guy enjoy his life without all this demand for more.

I can't imagine what it must be like for him if he ever checks this board out and reads some of these comments...

I guess I fail to understand why people are so upset with Jimmy. The man is 70 years old, has given us Led-Zeppelin, Death Wish II, The Firm, Outrider, Coverdale/Page, reunited with Plant and gave us two more albums, toured with The Black Crowes and has given us plenty of "new" Zeppelin stuff like the DVD, How The West Was Won, Celebration Day and now this reissue series.

When is enough enough???

When Jimmy stops making pronouncements year after year after year after year. He could stop his blustering tomorrow and / or say he is retiring, and put the whole thing to rest. But no, he's got to keep playing the announcement game so that people can rush to his rescue and make excuses for the statements that he chose to make to the world in the most public of ways. I would hope that if he read these comments, as you suggest, that he would suddenly realize that it is time to be honest with the world, and change his game plan. As you state, he is 70 years old, and not a kid who lacks self control in the things that he says. Again, this has nothing to do with his back catalogue, which we all love and adore, but it has everything to do with his public statements of things to come. I could quite easily be happy with his back catalogue only, and on some level I wish he would just take a deserved public retirement, so that this treadmill can be turned off once and for all. Jimmy may not see it, but his continued solo career announcements are embarrassing at this point......and here we await the new solo material that he stated was going to 'be unleashed on the world in 2014'; 56 days before that falls by the wayside too.

I think that it's pretty cool that we have so many mind readers, and face and body language experts posting here. I never knew Page's ego wouldn't allow him to play theaters till I read it here. And all the self doubt that can be read by studying a picture... Just mind boggling.. Page has been in the public eye more this past year than probably the last 10 combined. Looking forward to some new music. I think he's serious. I'm taking him at his word.

Archived