Jimmy's 2015 Live Tour

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

I don't think you were wrong, I think LedZepNews removed the words he used to change the meaning of his comments. Some media outlets did the same in the headlines, others used his comments in the stories but ignored the conditional language he used in their interpretation even as the quotations sat there in black and white.

Why they did this, one can only speculate.

This. Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Interesting to see so much doubt. And I am one of them as well.

If we were to compile all the times since P/P that he has said "soon I'll have new music" or "I'll be playing live soon", it would be way too many times.

Sorry, but he is the boy crying wolf, no one believes it anymore.

I will play devil's advocate and say I hope he proves us doubters wrong.

Interesting to see so much doubt. And I am one of them as well.

If we were to compile all the times since P/P that he has said "soon I'll have new music" or "I'll be playing live soon", it would be way too many times.

Sorry, but he is the boy crying wolf, no one believes it anymore.

I will play devil's advocate and say I hope he proves us doubters wrong.

As a massive fan, it is never a joy to bag on Jimmy, but another way that people could test their objectivity, is to try and disabuse their minds of the fact that we are talking about Jimmy Page. If any of us worked with a colleague who made repeated statements of a project that they were going to undertake, and complete in the next calendar year, and this went on and on and on for 7 years, we would simply not believe them anymore. Plain. Simple. All talk and no action. As I've said before: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. :)

I must say that I love the man, but my love does not require me to put on blinders and walk into walls. Jimmy would do himself a huge service if he just stood in front of the mirror and practiced an honest answer to this question, so that he can be prepared in the future, and not damage his credibility. "Yes, I would love to play again, but I'm not sure that it will be in the cards. At the age of 70, my priority is to ensure that the Zeppelin legacy is looked after, so that the amazing body of work is carefully handed down to future generations. I'd like to get up on stage with a friend or two, on occasion, but that's all I can foresee for the moment". Next question.

As rude as Robert has been in his comments about Jimmy, in a way I can actually understand some of his frustration. What do you think he says when he reads these quotes and statements from Jimmy? He must just cringe, knowing that its all bluster. Its all quite sad that things have come to this, when the legacy of the band is really so remarkable. Jimmy takes quite a drubbing on other forums for these statements, where people are not as infatuated as most of us are. Jimmy's got a great life; he should just live it and be honest. As a huge record collector myself, I can not think of a more satisfying pursuit for an old guy who has really done it all, and Jimmy has done it all.

Gotta love the armchair analysis going in this thread. Page maybe being honest or he might be bullshitting just like a certain singer we all know.

IF IF IF IF IF Page does tour he won't have to play his guitar with a capo and he'll be able to play in the key of E and A......he can actually change keys. Amazing!

I don't think he's desperate to be in the limelight, I think people are desperate for him to be in the limelight. So quite often it's just a polite response to "What are your plans?" or perhaps also positive "self talk" - very public, recurring attempts to motivate himself to do something.

Truer words have never been spoken. Count me in as one who also believes this won't happen until I see a ticket announcement from Ticketmaster/Live Nation, but also count me as one of the people who loves Jimmy staying in the spotlight, regardless of live performances!

(yawn...) Jimmy is going to play D&C as an instumental ; and something from the Yardies...(yawn); with a new band of unknown musos...Welcome to 1988 all over again. I saw him at RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, N.Y. in 11/88 perform this Exact scenario (Outrider tour) with John Miles on vocals and Durban LaVerde on bass; and a young Jason Bonham on drums. The critics slagged the show, saying he intoduced the "pieces" like he was holding a library reading. (personally, I liked the show, but their was a lot of waffle to stretch it out). Now he's going to do it again! I love Page, but he's seriously out of touch with his audience, and seems to live in the past. The last time he was inspired is working with Coverdale, where they wrote good tunes fast and furiously. Now, (yawn), we can look forward to possibly another rehash- to satisfy the "young" fans; just like he has "Re-Mastered the Zep Catalog", yet again: (I think the latest remaster is the 3rd time). If Page didn't have writer's block, Plant would have worked with him and Jones just after the 2007 Reunion; but Plant walked away, why-because there was no material of the quality of a D&C; or Rain Song; or Achilles; SIBLY; STH; TYG; etc. Just as Plant walked away from Jimmy's demo follow up to Clarksdale. Does anyone really believe that IF Page had presented material of Past "Zep Quality", Plant would have balked/walked?

Tough bunch, those LZ fans! :(

Not sure what would motivate any fan to have a negative response to Jimmy saying that he wants to be seen playing live again. Only Jimmy knows what his intentions are, and only Jimmy knows for certain why things have played out like they have, and whether this time his desire to get a band together will come to fruition. The only logical response from a fan is one of support. It's not personal. If he ends up playing in some capacity, everyone on this forum will be clamoring to see him, and if he doesn't end up playing in some capacity, we're no worse off than we are today. I don't take it personally, and I would like to think that Jimmy could come here to find his biggest supporters. For all the tireless work that Jimmy has done for the fans, it's a shame to see so many disparaging remarks.

Tough bunch, those LZ fans! :(

Not sure what would motivate any fan to have a negative response to Jimmy saying that he wants to be seen playing live again. Only Jimmy knows what his intentions are, and only Jimmy knows for certain why things have played out like they have, and whether this time his desire to get a band together will come to fruition. The only logical response from a fan is one of support. It's not personal. If he ends up playing in some capacity, everyone on this forum will be clamoring to see him, and if he doesn't end up playing in some capacity, we're no worse off than we are today. I don't take it personally, and I would like to think that Jimmy could come here to find his biggest supporters. For all the tireless work that Jimmy has done for the fans, it's a shame to see so many disparaging remarks.

Good post.

If he plays, great. If not, I don't see why people need to throw their toys out of the pram. He's given us far more than most musicians will ever give us if he never picks up a guitar again.

It's not about throwing toys from the pram, or showing lack of respect for what we've had from him musically - at least until 1998.... It's about the constant 'next year....' assertions that he's been making for the last 14 years. I don't think he has any intention of putting a band together, he's just not proactive enough. Dave Grohl wanted to do something with him & Jonesy, and said to Jimmy 'call me'. Instead Jimmy did nothing, waited for Grohl to call him instead and then bitched about it on one of his 'on this day' posts. Jimmy has world class awesome musicians clamoring to work with him and instead he says he wants to put a band of unknowns together. I think it shows that he's just not interested. I just wish he'd show a little honesty and admit that whilst he loves playing live he just hasn't got the commitment or motivation to get his playing up to scratch, get a band together, and do all the other time consuming organisational stuff involved with writing, rehearsing, building a working relationship with his band members etc etc. He relied totally on Peter Grant to do all of that for him for so long that I don't believe he ever put the skillset together to actually get out there and do that for himself - he just waits around for things to happen, and when they don't he gets further demotivated, and even less likely to get off his arse and do something.

It's not about throwing toys from the pram, or showing lack of respect for what we've had from him musically - at least until 1998.... It's about the constant 'next year....' assertions that he's been making for the last 14 years. I don't think he has any intention of putting a band together, he's just not proactive enough. Dave Grohl wanted to do something with him & Jonesy, and said to Jimmy 'call me'. Instead Jimmy did nothing, waited for Grohl to call him instead and then bitched about it on one of his 'on this day' posts. Jimmy has world class awesome musicians clamoring to work with him and instead he says he wants to put a band of unknowns together. I think it shows that he's just not interested. I just wish he'd show a little honesty and admit that whilst he loves playing live he just hasn't got the commitment or motivation to get his playing up to scratch, get a band together, and do all the other time consuming organisational stuff involved with writing, rehearsing, building a working relationship with his band members etc etc. He relied totally on Peter Grant to do all of that for him for so long that I don't believe he ever put the skillset together to actually get out there and do that for himself - he just waits around for things to happen, and when they don't he gets further demotivated, and even less likely to get off his arse and do something.

If you try not to hang on his every word, I find that it helps.

He says he'd like to play next year, I say I'd like to bang Katy Perry next year, If either of them happens, bonus, if not then life goes on...

08-10 was spent waiting on Robert and trying other singers.

Jimmy was told in no uncertain terms a few months prior to Robert's press release in September 2008 that Robert was not returning to the fold. Briefly bringing in singers to jam coincided with that knowledge. The several months he apparently wasted post-02 waiting for Robert Plant is a drop in the bucket of an astounding 14 years of virtual inactivity as a performing musician. Having said that, inactivity is a better choice than something undignified or foolish, which his latest suggestion concerning using unknowns to play golden oldies arguably is. His 02 performance was nothing short of miraculous and I am quite fine with it standing as the last concert length testament of Jimmy Page.

JP talking to Classic Rock magazine for the next Issue due on 8th Oct.

You’ve talked about playing live again in 2015. Presumably, at the age of 70, you might not fancy doing three hours a night, for months on end?

I don’t know whether I could, but I wouldn’t want to commit to it. If I was out touring, I would want to keep building slowly. I wouldn’t do a six-month tour of five nights a week. That wouldn’t necessarily be my cup of tea at the moment.

Instead Jimmy did nothing, waited for Grohl to call him instead and then bitched about it on one of his 'on this day' posts. Jimmy has world class awesome musicians clamoring to work with him and instead he says he wants to put a band of unknowns together. I think it shows that he's just not interested.

Dave Grohl and the "Pillowbiters" suck. Not world class at all.

JP talking to Classic Rock magazine for the next Issue due on 8th Oct.

You’ve talked about playing live again in 2015. Presumably, at the age of 70, you might not fancy doing three hours a night, for months on end?

I don’t know whether I could, but I wouldn’t want to commit to it. If I was out touring, I would want to keep building slowly. I wouldn’t do a six-month tour of five nights a week. That wouldn’t necessarily be my cup of tea at the moment.

In other words probably 2 weeks at a time mini tours.. smaller select places... Which sounds good to me..

He never said he was planning on going out on a major year long world tour. He's not up to it by his own admission... pretty honest if you ask me..

"I want to be out playing" does not translate to "6 months on Ceasar's Chariot".. so some people need to back off a little..

I wouldn't mind seeing him do a pay per view on demand or online type thing.. He doesn't have to set the world on fire.. He's already done that..

Dave Grohl and the "Pillowbiters" suck. Not world class at all.

Ok. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Not sure the name calling is necessary. Whatever the case, he fills stadiums and sells albums in times where both those things aren't that easy, which shows he's popular with somebody. Jonesy took the bit between his teeth and they came up with Them Crooked Vultures, which in my opinion was an awesome band.

The point I was trying to make was that there are tons of other musicians (Grohl was just an example) who would be overjoyed to work with Page - Jeff Beck has put a word in, I'm pretty sure Jeff Martin would jump at the chance, Roger Daltrey would love the opportunity (yeah, I know...)..... the list goes on.

The further point being that if he wanted to he could put a top band together tomorrow - no fannying about with 'unknowns'. He just doesn't want to, and he either needs to stop saying he does, or shut up and actually get on with it.

I'm with the group that feels seeing is believing. Until then I won't get too excited.

However, if it does happen I really hope he passes through New Orleans - considering Jimmy's OUTRIDER Tour was my first concert. (1988)

It would be good to see him in that type of atmosphere again!

I don't know, maybe he keeps saying he'll play "next year" just to tweak all the people who get worked up about it. Not trying to be rude about it, but it's not as if he owes us. He doesn't have anything to prove. He doesn't owe it to us to tell us what he does with his life, what his priorities are now. He doesn't even owe it to us to make merch that each of us might want to buy (for the record, I've never bought any of the jp merch and probably won't but it has nothing to do with having a beef with him; I'm just not a merch person, not counting albums). You don't have to buy merch or remasters or anything, even concert tickets if he does tour. By all means, doubt that it'll happen. I'm not convinced that it will happen, even if Jimmy really wants it to, because just like the rest of us I'm sure sometimes he finds that things are difficult. He's probably not lying when he says that if he were to play live he would do this, or that he would like to play live maybe. I'm sure he does mean it, which again, is no guarantee, and isn't as if you bought tickets and he cancelled at the last minute and you were screwed out of a refund. But yeah, doubt but don't take it personally, because it's not personal. I know that part of the ritual of Jimmy suggesting that maybe, one day, he might possibly like to play live again, is that LZ fans have to bitch about how he doesn't follow through. I should be used to it. But come on, that's pretty old, too.

This is only my opinion/thoughts on this issue. I would be the first in line as any of you here IF this was to ever happen. Jimmy has been stating this for a very long time and other than the fact that he cannot let go of Led Zeppelin in any form saddens me that he has not done anything as far new music/playing live.

For so long people have unfairly blamed Robert for a lot..even after Robert suggested new music/acoustic set. JPJ and Jason were both on board at one point and not to mention that most musicians would love to play with Jimmy. It's Jimmy who for whatever reason has chosen not to be out on stage or making new music. I am one of the few who has that 5% belief/hope that he may surprise us, but I do not hold my breath on this. It's not disrespect in any way..Hell, I am taking time to go see him in NY on 11/3 (taking two days off of work, airfare, hotel, pet sitting cost) just so I can see him on a stage one way or another! :peace:

Archived