STROLL ON? THE YARDBIRDS 1966

Blackheart

Very good Zep brothers! Now I want to see the whole 60s movie cause of their appearance. :bubble::elvis2::standup_bass:

I saw this movie a few years ago and from what I recall, the movie itself is actually pretty boring except for the scene with Jimmy and the Yardbirds. But that is just Me. Check it out for yourself. If you do, let us/me know what you think. Maybe I will have to go back and see it again.

Brother Zeps, thank you. Well I was all getting ready to see the movie then it said I had to pay! LOL :sarcastic_hand:

Well KingZoso is probably right. The movie is probably boring but their cameo is just great. I can watch it forever! :video_chat:

It's worth watching for its take on "Swinging London". When it was released the sexual mores depicted in the film were quite shocking to Middle America and probably to "Middle England" as well. The film's lead male character is a photographer but The Yardbirds and their rock peers probably enjoyed similar hedonistic lifestyles.

The movie is a classic, but might be over some people's heads. It is primarily a visual movie. It's about a photographer who becomes obsessed with something he thinks he sees and starts to go a bit mad. It is one of my favorite movies.

Over people's heads ? That's a little condecending don't you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my favourite Antonioni film, and it may seem dated or much ado about nothing to some, but it works a strange sort of pull on me whenever I watch it...and not just because of the Yardbirds scene. The ending is one of those classic 60's WTF? moments. David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin, and the model Veruschka all appear in the film...all very young and good looking. Herbie Hancock contributed the original score. With its nudity and sex scenes, this was among a group of movies ("Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", "Bonnie & Clyde") that came out around 1966-67 that played a huge part in loosening up the Hollywood motion picture code at the time.

The Yardbirds weren't even Antonioni's first choice for the film...he first saw The Who and seeing Pete Townshend smash his guitar is what planted the idea of the nightclub scene in his mind. Eric Burdon turned Antonioni down and supposedly it was then going to be The In Crowd, who had Steve Howe on guitar. But The Yardbirds were a more known band and The In Crowd was bumped, but they had already spent so much time prepping the scene with The In Crowd in mind, that they went ahead and used the Gibson 175 replicas for the guitar smashing bit, even though Jeff Beck didn't normally play that guitar.

This film was basically lifted/remade by Brian De Palma in 1981 with John Travolta and Nancy Allen, but without the cultural or artistic impact of the original.

Can anyone tell me, is this a movie? Or just a video. If its a movie I want to see more.

I see you live in the Southern California area, so you are kind of in luck, as the American Cinematheque is showing "Blow-Up" at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica this Sunday night at 7:30pm. Let me know if you want to be put on the guest list. If there is anyone else that wants to attend, let me know and I can see about getting you tickets.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/blow-up-0

• 1 month later...

Sorry to go off topic here, but after first reading this thread I thought I'd google the actors from the film to see what they've been up to since then. Umm, here is David Hemmings, and his eyebrows.

david+hemmings+after.jpgthum_896147f67e5d01c7a.jpg

Definitely a... unique look!

He looks like a Vulcan with those eyebrows!

Archived