Sammy Hagar & The Circle (Anthony/Johnson/Bonham)

"The Van Hagar era"... "Sammy hits"... me me me me me me me memememememememememe... I I I I I I I I I I I I I I IIIIIIIIII... please somebody tell me he's kind of mocking himself here because if he's serious, he's hilarous for all the wrong reasons.

So, a cover band of several bands, then, one of whom wasn't in the actual band... not exactly a unique sound there...

Now, with all due respect to Jason, he's a working musician, a very good drummer, and maybe Americana or something in the vein of Supersilent is not everybody's cup of tea, but I'd be interested in his current musical likes/influences (besides the obvious), and look forward to some new musical ventures.

Edited by Patrycja

I really wanted to see California Breed in concert with Jason drumming. Of course if this comes to my town I will go.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21621-california-breed/

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21316-glenn-hughes-and-jason-bonhams-new-band/

Edited by luvlz2

"The Van Hagar era"... "Sammy hits"... me me me me me me me memememememememememe... I I I I I I I I I I I I I I IIIIIIIIII... please somebody tell me he's kind of mocking himself here because if he's serious, he's hilarous for all the wrong reasons.

There are a lot of people including myself that felt that the "Van Hagar" era was better in some ways. Many people refer to that era as such (even though it sounds goofy) it's the reality of reference. I don't think he was mocking himself so much as he was pointing out how his time with VH is referred to by fans and critics alike.

Musically speaking, the "Van Hagar" era had a good number of well written songs and a more mature approach to song writing in general. The 5150 album is one of Van Halen's finest moments through and through. Like it or not, they wrote good music together. Diamond Dave was a complete showman. Hagar was a better vocalist. I know there are many threads on this topic (who's the favorite) so I'm trying not to go there, but your comment sparked a need to engage.

Edited by Rock Historian

There are a lot of people including myself that felt that the "Van Hagar" era was better in some ways. Many people refer to that era as such (even though it sounds goofy) it's the reality of reference. I don't think he was mocking himself so much as he was pointing out how his time with VH is referred to by fans and critics alike.

Musically speaking, the "Van Hagar" era had a good number of well written songs and a more mature approach to song writing in general. The 5150 album is one of Van Halen's finest moments through and through. Like it or not, they wrote good music together. Diamond Dave was a complete showman. Hagar was a better vocalist. I know there are many threads on this topic (who's the favorite) so I'm trying not to go there, but your comment sparked a need to engage.

Hi RH, thanks for clarifying the context of that phrasing. Our paths of discussion are different, though your points are sound. I have no horse to back in the musical discussion as to which VH era was best. But even putting aside that comment, the rest of his comments seem as if he buys into the i"m a rock star! vibe, like he doesn't see how it comes across, which is mystifying. But anyway, that was just an observation from the one interview; maybe he's actually self-deprecating about it elsewhere even though it doesn't resonate that way here. That aside, the core of my point has to do with the musical direction of this line-up, which sounds like something we've all heard before.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RH, thanks for clarifying the context of that phrasing. Our paths of discussion are different, though your points are sound. I have no horse to back in the musical discussion as to which VH era was best. But even putting aside that comment, the rest of his comments seem as if he buys into the i"m a rock star! vibe, like he doesn't see how it comes across, which is mystifying. But anyway, that was just an observation from the one interview; maybe he's actually self-deprecating about it elsewhere even though it doesn't resonate that way here. That aside, the core of my point has to do with the musical direction of this line-up, which sounds like something we've all heard before.

sammy often comes across that way. DD makes no bones about it when it comes to his ego. Sammy tries to come across as a "blue collar" rock and roller, imo, but still his ego is just as large.

And your comment sparks a need to respond... :yesnod: There may well be some fans - or many, as you indicate - that think the Hagar era was better, but having been around when VH released their first album and witnessing the impact that that band had on music was an amazing thing to see, hear and feel. And DLR was a huge part of their success.

Sure, he's a showman, he's arrogant, but he doesn't try to hide that. He is exactly who he presents himself to be. And when it came to live concerts back in the day - 1978-1984 - it was pretty difficult to top Van Halen and Roth had a lot to do with that as well. He could turn an arena into a small room by making everyone feel that the show was being played in their back yard, if you know what I mean.

One thing I would take exception to is when you say the music with Hagar was more "mature." Eddie wrote/writes almost every single note of music and it was Eddie who grew and matured and this came through in his music. Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but it felt as though you were saying with Roth their music was amaturish and insolent.

Let's take a look at Roth with the more mature Eddie... in 1996 when he reunited with the band for two songs - Can't Get This Stuff No More and Me Wise Magic - both are just amazing songs and shows me that Roth could easily fit in with any style that Eddie wanted to play in. I was a bit disappointed when their most recent album was mostly old songs reworked. Apparently they are working on a new one with Roth and I can only hope for that sound they had on the two 1996 songs.

Not trying to change your opinion, because that's impossible. But believe me, there are far more fans who prefer the Roth era - Sammy himself even said so in a recent interview when he said that VH should take Michael back because 'that's what the fans want! The original line up.' He then went into a long diatribe about how he would happily tour with them if asked and if things were 'cool...' Typical Hagar. LOL

So, for me, and millions of others, I'll take Roth over Hagar any day. Now if their new album would be like those two songs from 1996... now that would be something very cool! Cheers!!!

Every time that I see Jason play or in a video, I can't help but think of him as that cute little boy in The Song Remains The Same, who was making his doting dad the happiest man alive at that moment! Then I hear how loud he plays and he sure does remind me of his dad in that regard! Thanks for posting these videos, I wish I had more time to get around and read / watch all that's posted here, but even though I don't I really do appreciate it all. It's hard to believe that Sammy Hagar is 67 years old, I can only pray that I will look nearly that young and healthy when I reach that age in less than two decades.

• 4 months later...

The Circle Featuring Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham To Release 'At Your Service' Live Album

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-circle-featuring-sammy-hagar-michael-anthony-jason-bonham-to-release-at-your-service-live-album/

The Circle, the combo consisting of legendary rocker Sammy Hagar alongside Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham and Vic Johnson will release a concert album, "At Your Service", on May 19 in both digital and physical packages.

Recorded live on tour in 2014, this release documents the blistering performance of a band on fire performing hits from Sammy's four decades of rock (Montrose, solo, Van Halen, The Waboritas, Chickenfoot) as well as classic tracks from the Led Zeppelin catalog.

Although the final track listing for "At Your Service" has not yet been announced, it is expected to include such songs as "There's Only One Way to Rock", "Rock Candy", "Whole Lotta Love", "Why Can't This Be Love?" and "Sexy Little Thing".

Available for preorder on iTunes starting next week, "At Your Service" will include an instant download of The Circle's version of Van Halen's "Poundcake".

Speaking to Ultimate Classic Rock, Hagar stated about The Circle: "I think The Circle is the band that I want to play with right now. It's the band that I choose to play with over any band. Even Chickenfoot is hard, because we only play Chickenfoot. so I miss playing 'When It's Love' and 'I Can't Drive 55' and 'One Way To Rock' and 'Heavy Metal' and "Rock Candy". I miss doing that, as much as I love Chickenfoot."

He continued: "The Circle is so satisfying that I don't even see a reason to make a record. We have so many great hits that we can choose from out catalog, all of those Van Halen hits, all of the Sammy solo, all of those Montrose hits, Chickenfoot hits, Led Zeppelin songs -- we have that catalog to choose from for our shows, so to make a record would just be kind of a waste of time. I wouldn't say never, but first I'd like to put together the greatest set list that ever existed in rock 'n' roll, and I think we're pretty close to it right now with the one that we have, but it can even get better. There's a frikkin' goldmine to choose from of songs that I've written and sand in my life."

Hagar's first-ever acoustic album titled "Lite Roast", was released on October 14, 2014 via Mallboat Records. Joining Sammy on the CD was Vic Johnson, longtime guitarist of Waboritas, Hagar's backup band, on guitar and vocals.

post-15049-0-48551600-1426453609_thumb.j

post-15049-0-07208800-1426454111_thumb.j

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Circle Featuring Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham To Release 'At Your Service' Live Album

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-circle-featuring-sammy-hagar-michael-anthony-jason-bonham-to-release-at-your-service-live-album/

Also Vic Johnson will be there, I guess.

Why didn't they credit only him in the title? Dude is legit as they come. He sounds better with Hagar than Satriani did too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In less than a month after JBLZE played in Phoenix (5/13/16), Bonham will be back to play in Tuscon (6/10/16) with Sammy Hagar & The Circle. They are doing a tour currently, Jason's getting around, touring around.

Edited by luvlz2