Dot Com Santa.

Big Blue

With all the love you've been getting in the pics thread, I didn't think you needed anything! :P

j/k, although I am green with envy. :bagoverhead:

:lol:

Like you don't get your fair share...

but since you hate me....

Aww thanks Mandy!! I totally missed this thread until now.

For you- I was gonna get you someone to do all your homework till you graduate so you have one less thing to worry about but then I got to thinking you probably enjoy your homework :P sooo I think someone to take over your job till you graduate while continuing to hand over that paycheck is better!

Thanks!

Now all I have to worry about is getting someone to clean the house!

(and yes...I do love my homework..)

In that case, I'll send you all my English homework for Christmas. I have an assignment in that class everyday. English is my least favorite class this year. Last year it was great, the teacher for that class is a cool person. He's a Zep fan, too.

My English teacher is an old english teacher. One of our worksheets talked about the recent break up of the Beatles.

A PA describes some and a PN can replace the subject. They sound easy but they're hard to indentify.

Middle English ended in 1550. Your teacher teaches Modern English.

Middle English is what form of English Chaucer and Shakespeare wrote in.

:D

Then I wonder why he teaches nominatives. See, this is why I don't like English, it's just too confusing.

I'll do your homework! Got an A+ in both English Laguage and English Literature. :P

Edit: Too bad my typing is sloppy. :lol:

We still have nominatives (subject of sentence), we just don't tend to analyze English grammar using that term (or dative, accusative, genitive, etc.)--you see it more with Latin, Greek and German instruction, but rarely even French or Spanish. Also, Shakespeare (first play ca. 1580s, last ones ca. 1611) wrote in modern English.

Well, I'm good at modern English, I normally speak with a blend of American English influence though. Which is missing some words in order to make the same meaning, for example:

Mod Eng - "Do you love her a lot?"

USA Eng - "You love her a lot?"

It's mainly due to the fact that I've had an American girlfriend to influence me for nearly 3 years. But I understand what you're saying Alison. I know some Olde English too. :D

Since we're on my least favorite subject that I am forced to teach. I'll add my $.02. English is a constantly evolving language. Now that is an aspect which I find interesting. Since I am relegated to teaching this with an English content teacher, I can focus on the trivial and meaningless details. Such as Bonham's example of blending his Mod Eng with the USA Eng. I prefer to analyze and abbreviate as much as I is allowable with these new mediums of texting, emailing and online chatting.

I would reduce:

Mod Eng - "Do you love her a lot?"

USA Eng - "You love her a lot?"

To

Luv her a lot? This is acceptable because the You and Do are implied. In addition the Love is shortened to a debased form of the verancular.

C dat English can be phun.

I don't short hand things unless I'm texting. I just hate learning all the English stuff, I mean I can speak it so why does it matter if I diagram a sentence. They need to make kids read more. I am a freshman and I go to school with kids who are really smart but they're illiterate.

Archived