Hammer Horror, The Musters, The Addams Family

geekfreak

8 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Loving this! Watched the first 30 min on the treadmill. I agree with the host, Son of Frankenstein is my go to, out of the first 3 films.

Oh, that's awesome! That guy (James Rolfe) is very knowledgeable on films of all eras, particularly horror movies. He's got a huge backlog of reviews, he does them every October. 

On 10/7/2017 at 8:21 PM, greengrass said:

Caligari, is that the sepia toned black and white version?  Very creepy if thats the one  

1KV1A0F.gif

That's the one, great movie. I just got a copy from Amazon and watched it a few night's back. The expressionistic, graphic sets makes the movie a sort of nightmare come to life. The city scenes in particular are creepy as hell simply for the set design and how they impart a twisted claustrophobia upon the watcher.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

That's the one, great movie. I just got a copy from Amazon and watched it a few night's back. The expressionistic, graphic sets makes the movie a sort of nightmare come to life. The city scenes in particular are creepy as hell simply for the set design and how they impart a twisted claustrophobia upon the watcher.

Ive got that on VHS ... and My Panasonic 1980's still kicking. Some movies are just for tape , if ya know what i mean.

On 10/9/2017 at 11:49 PM, LedZed66 said:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) is a visual masterpiece and a psychological drama.

Nosferatu (1922) is a little more creepier

I remember watching Nosferatu for the first time in HS and absolutely hating it. Thought it was boring and silly...dumb silent movie.

I revisited it in my 30's with a few friends who were film buffs and it was like a bolt of lightning. It's funny how the adult mind perceives what the child's mind cannot. Every time since I have watched Nosferatu I come to love it more and more each time, and in general appreciate the impact and gifts the German expressionist movement of the 20's & early 30's gave us. Of course most of those great filmmakers emigrated to America once asshole came to power, and thus was born noir and that whole scene.

" And now before giving you the details of the battle, I bring you a warning: Everyone of you listening to my voice, tell the world, tell this to everybody wherever they are. Watch the skies. Everywhere. Keep looking. Keep watching the skies."

v1.jpg

On 11.10.2017 at 8:56 AM, IpMan said:

I remember watching Nosferatu for the first time in HS and absolutely hating it. Thought it was boring and silly...dumb silent movie.

I revisited it in my 30's with a few friends who were film buffs and it was like a bolt of lightning. It's funny how the adult mind perceives what the child's mind cannot. Every time since I have watched Nosferatu I come to love it more and more each time, and in general appreciate the impact and gifts the German expressionist movement of the 20's & early 30's gave us. Of course most of those great filmmakers emigrated to America once asshole came to power, and thus was born noir and that whole scene.

When I was in my 20's, I was so scared by the scene, Nosferatu is standing outside the bedroom door and he is grabbing at the girl.
The monster at your bed is a girl's nightmare.

German expressionism created such a new exciting visual language. Beauty, harmony, perfection are gone. It have been creative but also dark and depressed years. The ashes, the evil and vicious phoenix arose from. And I am very happy for everyone who left in the 30's.

Love the Hammer House films, Munsters, Addams Family and Vincent Price and Roger Corman movies.

Halloween is my favorite Slasher flick, looking forward to Halloween 2018 with the return of scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis.

Edited by BledZabbath